Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:09:45  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Odd question... our tap water is hideous... now i'm not one of those people who get icky over drinking tap water and demand the purest mineral water or anything but ours is minging!

Would snakey be ok having water from the minging tap or would they be better off having some filtered stuff. Like i said we're not filtering because we're fussy it's just horrible water (the filter has all black stuff in from it!) I would rather drink from a swamp!! :P what do you think?

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:14:26  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
black stuff? i get that from our bath tap cos its from a tank but out taps from main pipe thing lol

i would imagin it would be ok, if its safe for us then surly it should be ok for snakey? if in doubt buy a big bottle of evian every week, should last enough to do its water changes :)

Our tap waters yuk to cos i live in the chilterns and its full of chalk!

Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give my snakes mineral water. I was told in my local shop untreated tap water is a no-no.

1.0.0 Snow - Claude
1.1.0 Carolina - Heidar and Suki

WISH LIST - Fire, Sulpher

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:21:22  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use our tap. Our water is nice and clean but yours sound really yuk!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use tap water but i boil it then leave it to cool and keep it in fridge, i keep a bottle out in my room to top up my snakes water with daily. Cornwalls waters nice :)

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:36:32  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is untreated tap water really a nono? i always give mine tap water.. now im worried :(

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  11:43:03  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tap water is fine to give i have been giving normal tap water for my snakes for years and its not done any harm at all.

But just think to your self in the wild snakes dont have a choice what type of water to drink they drink what is available to them.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  12:18:51  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that is a very true thought.. they drink from streams.. rivers... etc.. all of which prob have more gunk in that ur tap :D

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  12:22:10  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My snake drinks mineral water while I drink tap water!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  12:34:15  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
u have a posh snake :p haha j/k ;)

Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  13:05:16  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha thanks for the help, i'll just give him the posh filtered water until the thames stops being minging!

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  13:18:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use normal tap water but I have actually found that they do prefer boiled water that has cool down for what ever reason, they do know the difference!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  14:04:24  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough the very hard tap water that comes from the Chilterns is quite pure. A bloke from the Environment Agency came to do a routine check of our mains water and commented that our water was the purest, least full of additives and generally the nicest water going. Not much fun for our kettles and washing machines as it's so hard but great for us. He said that the 'sweeter' tasting water from other parts of the UK tastes that way due to it being laced with fluoride. It's been through the system many times and fluoridation is part of the process of making it drinkable again. The water from where I live, Hertfordshire, comes straight from natural artesian wells and has been down there for ages. It's also been filtered through hundreds of feet of rock, hence the reason why it contains very little in the way of additives.

However all water contains chlorine and I have no idea how that affects a snake. It's important to note that he did say that if I carbon filtered my water (Britta etc.) I should never leave it standing for more than 12 hours as it could pick up airborne germs which can multiply in de-chlorinated water. So that begs the question as to whether it's wise to leave a bowl of water for a snake that has no chlorine in it for more than half a day, even if it's been boiled?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  14:23:22  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thats a good debate, is it safe with the chlorine in it or unsafe without because of risk of contamination?

Greg im thank full of my chiltern chalky water now u mentioned that haha! even if it does come out the tap white! im in bucks so i assume our waters quite similar lol

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  14:33:37  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use bottled water for mine - just because i was told it was better due to the chemicals used in tap water to treat it, can cause gases which might make a young snake ill - not sure how much truth there is in that but dont mind spoiling them with a bottle of volvic! lol

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  14:49:07  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
surly tho bottled water would contain some kind of chemicals to keep it clean and keep without contamination as such?

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  15:13:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Clorine I would guess is fine for snakes, mine don't look any worse for it. We use it for our cats, chickens and dig and they are fine. If people can drink it, I don't see why animals can't. If it's something that lives in water that's generally when the chlorine is a no-no. I don't know if you know this but there was a study done against tap water and bottled water, although this was done on the US that was surprising. T I have no idea how the water difference in the UK is but watch this video on this page, it's interesting. You could be buying bottled water that is exactly the same as tap water.

http://travelogue.travelvice.com/turkey/bottled-water-is-bull****/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  15:44:07  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
reminds me of when coke bought out their own "special bottled water" claimed to be from all special sources then it was found out it was just coming out the tap! haha

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2010 :  23:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anything you get nowadays will be filled with something nasty. The body just gets used to it. My snakey's get filtered water, as our taps leave a horrible metallic taste and I don't like our water myself, therefore I wouldn't give it to my animals lol. And they get a drop of reptisafe if it has come from the tap.

I also don't change the water every day, it's usually every other day. I just figure that in the wild they wouldn't necessarily find a water source to drink from every day let alone one that's clean. So I'm sure they can cope with day old, slightly warm water that's all their's to drink.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  10:17:08  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I understand it (and don't rely o this it's just what I heard) chlorinated tap water can be left for several days and still be perfectly safe to drink. I'd imagine the main problem with leaving water in a vivarium for several days would be the slight chance the snake might poo in it.

Again I don't know how that relates to non chlorinated water though. The man from the Environment Agency said he wouldn't drink non chlorinated (bottled) water that had been left exposed to the air for more than twelve hours ??

Greg
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  16:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give Ruby and Savara filtered water but here in Wiltshire we have really hard water which is why the water is filtered in the 1st place.

http://meandmycornsnake.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000