Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:50:58  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
Hi, I got a baby snow corn about 7 months ago, he has recently moved from pinkys to fluffs. I noticed earlier that the scales down his side were torn a bit. And i think he has thrown up the skin of a fluff i just fed him. well thats what it looks like anyway. He threw up a pinky before but i was told to move him up a food size and not feed hik for two weeks. Should i just do the same this time or what should i do about his torn scales??

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, welcome to the forum, any chance of a picture of the snake and damaged scales? If he has regurged then something's up, what are your temps like? How long after feeding do you handle him?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:11:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
If he's a regular regurger I'd leave it at least 3 days after a feed to handle him, rather than just the usual 24-48 hours. If the temps are a bit cool that can cause problems as they need heat to digest their food, as snakes are cold-blooded they get heat from their environment ie. the heat mat. I'd also try feeding him a smaller meal next time - just 1 pinky - and I'd try feeding him in about 5-7 days after he regurgitated the last feed.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:12:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
as BE says, pics of the torn scales would be helpful, there's a topic about how to post photos using PhotoBucket if you use the Search button on the top right of the page.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  08:37:32  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
have you got any sello tape in you viv by any chance

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  08:45:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good thinking, any chance your snake has got stuck to anything?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

538 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  09:17:09  Show Profile
check for tape in the viv as this happened to Harry the other week,
and as for the regurg i would take the above advice.
try and get a pic

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  09:54:17  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
no there isnt any tape in the viv i dont think, the temperature is around 80'F, i would handle him 3 days after being fed. Ill try to get a pic of the damaged scales and post it. :D thanks for help :D

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  11:05:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If that's at the warm end then that may be why he's regurgitating, its a little cool. Snakes need heat to help them digest their food, an ideal temperature is around 30C (~86F). Is the heat source on a thermostat?

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  15:05:55  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
the temperature is taken on a Reptile Dial Thermometer which is in the middle of the tank. The snake normally stays on the cool side of the tank though so should i get a warmer bulb?

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  15:11:30  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
just noticed the name of your snake is the same as my cali, why did you choose that, i did because mine was skitty

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  15:19:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hayleyb93

the temperature is taken on a Reptile Dial Thermometer which is in the middle of the tank. The snake normally stays on the cool side of the tank though so should i get a warmer bulb?

Those dial thermometers aren't very good really. What is the temp at the warm end?

How do you control the temperature of the bulb?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  18:00:01  Show Profile
Chances are that if the snake is staying at the cold end, its too hot and its getting away from the heat.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  18:09:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Also, if its at the cold end it won't be able to digest properly, hence the regurge maybe. Has he got a hide at the warm end?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  18:31:36  Show Profile
my chester is hardly ever in the warm end..

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  18:41:17  Show Profile
Dont worry dazb, mines the same

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  21:07:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Beech used use his warm hide very rarely, I've re-shuffled his viv around to make the warm hide more appealing and now he uses it much more. He's also not regurged since I moved things around and he's been fed twice since then.

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  11:21:00  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
yea he has a house thing he usaually stays under at the warm end and theres bark he sometimes goes under at the cold end. oh and saddleninja
i called him skittles because when I got him i couldnt come up with a name so i looked up names and i thought skittled suited him. Dont really know why :) yea but anyway. The temperature at the hot end is friggin 118'F!!! I somehow think that could be the problem!!!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  11:41:52  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Poor snakey!

Have you got a thermostat? - The probe should be at the warm end.

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  12:39:58  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
no but i will go and buy a thermostat because at the minute i just have a Dial Thermometer in the middle of the tank. So if a thermostat is better i will get one.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2008 :  14:19:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Well the thermostat controls the temperature of the mat, otherwise it will just keep heating and you'll cook Skittles. You need a Mat Stat, they cost ~£20.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000