Major Problems?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  10:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Hi all,

Just had a worrying email from a new corn snake keeper just wondering if anyone has any experience of anything like this:

my corn snake started spinning around, and his mouth opened wide..... his body started to shrink and did not look good...... personally i thought he had died.... he is now resting and doing nothin.... i am very woried and have no idea what is happenin to him...... this is my first pet snake and i have only had him for a month he his only a baby.... i am e-mailin you to ask if u have experieced this problem before and i ask for advice.... thank you..... DANNY...

I've asked all the usual questions, what and how often its's being fed, is there water and is it cleaned daily, and temps etc - but never heard of a corn snake spinning around with its mouth open before... heard of it in boas and pythons but thought is very unusual in corns can anyone help?

I've also said to take him to the reptile vets straight away

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:22:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Like you say, it sounds like an over-heated Python or even IBD, but not heard of anything like that with a Corn, sorry.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:28:09  Show Profile
Oh dear that doesnt sound good, i've never heard of anything like that and i've just had a quick search around the internet and couldnt find anything there either. Can snakes have epilepsy? The only other thing that came to mind was mould or bacteria in the viv that can cause severe muscle spasms???

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  14:04:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
does sound rather obscure for a corn, like you said Lewy - vets is probably the best option

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  16:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Just got a reply to the email I sent:

hi again.... in response to your questions........ the temp in his viv is 80-90 degree in day and 70-80 at night, there is a hot and cold side in his viv, and plenty of hides e.t.c, but i did have a problem with mites at first and he did not feed..... he got assisst fed by someone in the pet store....... and a week after this satarted to happen........i have given the snake to a reptile expert who is going to look after him.... but they said it was probably a rare genetic problem and nothing could have helped him.....so they think he is going to die shortly..... but thank you for your time and help..... Danny

Seems he's done the right thing and took it to someone who's in the know. Looks bad for the snake though thanks for your help anyway people

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  17:36:49  Show Profile
that is a real shame... hope the snake is ok, but you got to remember animals are vey delicate and sometimes through no fault of any one, they just get ill or are born with problems that no one can see or help with.

poor little thing....

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Doesn't sound good does it

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  20:28:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
no, it doesn't sound good, but it's not good either that a shop is selling reps that are only assist feeding, unless I've misread the post??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  21:07:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I read it as he got it home, it wouldn't eat, so he took it to the shop and they assist fed it, rather than finding out why it wasn't feeding. Should have gone to the vet imo.

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  14:21:59  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Poor snake, and guy come to think of it! Cant be nice having pet for such a short time

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  18:32:29  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
sorry to hear about that

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2008 :  15:34:57  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Poor lil thing :(

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  07:52:42  Show Profile
Sounds like a neurological disorder. Like a kind of brain damage. I saw it once in a corn snake that was found, but was only a youngster (under a year old). After a few hours of being caught, I checked it just to make sure it hadn't escaped again & it seemed to have odd movement was almost star gazing. At first it seemed the snake was unable to support its head as it was raising it. Then for no obvious reason it started acting very odd with its mouth wide open & as if i was being charmed by a snake charmer, by moving its head around. (best way I can describe it lol).
Then died all with in about 20 mins. I dont think me checking it, would have killed it. So I thought the same at the time, that it was a neurological disorder.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  11:57:59  Show Profile
iv heard if they do this it could meen thev got pheumonia and they have there head up because there drowning from exes mucuz in the lung and they have there mouth open becouse there nose is blocked with mucus so they hav to breeve out of there mouth

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly