Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  01:22:26  Show Profile
Hi,

I have finally taken the plunge and bought a corn, wanted to keep snakes from an early age, I lived in south africa for 5 years when I was a teenager and handled them quite often as friends kept them, my mother would not let me but 30 years later decided to dive in.

She's one active snake at the moment...TV's on but the rest of the house is quiet.....marvelous to watch.

Anyway the question, this is her(maddie's) first night, I have handled her for about 2 minutes today but did not want to stress her out too much, should I continue and not handle her for a few days so she can settle down or should I handle her much as she will let me.

She is due a pinky on Monday, the shop said to feed her every 4 days and I can see on her records she has been fed this interval but most web site say feed every week, what do you recommend ?, and also web sites say dont handle her for a few days after until the lump goes away or she will bring it back, is this correct.

I got a starter vivarium which came with a heat mat, due to the cable and without drilling a hole into the plastic/mesh lid I could not put the pad inside , the instructions say it can be fitted to the bottom on the outside of the viv, I have done this and its quite warm to touch from the inside, is this alright, also I have the thermometer half way up the viv and its reading 21c ( its got to be warmer on the bottom, will this be OK.

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for the answers.

Garry
(A very nervous Snake owner )

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  01:52:40  Show Profile
I would let the snake settle in up to when you feed on monday & not handle the snake - it's up to you though - but that's what I would do, keeps stress to a minimum.

Feeding every 5 to 7 days is ok, but even every 7 to 10 days would be fine.

Dont handle the snake for a couple of days after feeding to reduce the risk of the snake regurgetating it's meal.

Remember snakes only tolerate handling rather than enjoy or benefit from it. Every snake will have its limits even a docile corn snake.

put the thermometer on the substrate where the snake would be hiding at the hot end. The hot end will be where the heatmat is as you want to create a thermal gradient of one end being hot & the other end cool. This allows the snake to thermoregulate its temperature as they're unable to do this themselves like we can. They need to move into cool areas to cool down & hot areas to warm up. The heatmat should be no more than 1/2 way across the bottom of the the tank/viv/cage.

Do you have a thermostat to control the temperature of the heat source ?

This ^ along with a correctly positioned thermometer will give you a more accurate reading of the temperatures your snake is experiencing in its captive environment.

I hope this helps

Edited by - n/a on 03/08/2008 01:53:37
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  02:06:33  Show Profile
Thanks MoneyMaker,

I will move the thermometer to the bottom and get a more accurate reading when I change the water tomorrow.

I will not handle her until wednesday as I will be feeding her on monday, hopefully she will be settles in by then.

I dont have a thermostat, it will be one of my first buys.

Thanks again
g

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  02:28:45  Show Profile
No problem I think everybody else is either tucked up in bed or laying unconcious on the pavement (sat night)

The temp should be 30*C (give or take 1*C) at the hot end.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  07:50:14  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome to the forum, posts some pics if you can

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  08:02:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Morning and welcome to the forum, I'd like to help with your questions but wouldn't put anything different to MM and to be honest you seem to know what you're doing anyway.

~30C Hot Side (Thermostatically controlled preferably)

Try not to handle again until 2 days after feeding (it will be hard, but worthwhile for Maddie)

Good Luck

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  14:34:26  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Welcome to the forum!

quote:
"Remember snakes only tolerate handling rather than enjoy or benefit from it."

How come some snakes actively wait to be handled if this is the case? I know some peoples who sit in a certain place for a while before the usual handling time to be picked up and others that even tap on the glass at a certain time each night.
Maybe some "like" to come out, it would certainly be interesting to study ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  14:39:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean, my royal always seems to want to be picked up, I think its one of the reasons he's a pain to feed, as soon as you go near his viv he wants to climb onto your hand.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  18:46:16  Show Profile
Hi,

When I changed the water today I moved the thermometer onto the ground on the "hot" side, its been a constant 31c all afternoon.

I know they are nocturnal but she's been sleeping all day ( not moved an inch ), is this normal, she was very active last night.

g
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  19:08:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, quite normal. You might want to drop the temp a degree.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  20:54:37  Show Profile
Sorry about all the questions,

Are they always jittery or will they calm down, whenever I see her up and about any movement she see's towards the viv she's gone like a flash.

I cannot drop a degree or 2 as I have not got a thermostat yet

g
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  21:05:23  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
most calm down quite quick, others take a bit longer

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  22:11:54  Show Profile
Dont worry about the temp too much for now, but if you have the mat on the outside of the viv underneath you could make sure the hot end hide is against the glass & position the heatmat so it heats 1/2 or 2/3 of the hot end hide instead of the whole thing. Then this might just allow for a slight drop on one side but still keep the temp up around the 30*C mark.

Babies will usually regurge at constant high temps over 32*C.

It's up to you ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:47:59  Show Profile
hi i have a corn snake it just started shedding mode where over the past few days its become lighter in colour, i have put i mouse in to feed it last night but it has not touched it, it has been no trouble any other time, im just wanting to know if its to do with the shedding as i have only had it a few weeks cheers

lynn
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:52:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lynn, welcome to the forum. It is more than likely that your snake has not fed due to the shedding. A lot of snakes won't eat when going through it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  11:59:42  Show Profile
thank you, when would i try again, and do i take the mouse out no its noting eating it

lynn
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:12:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, take it out, the bacteria will be growing nicely in it in a warm viv.

Wait until they are next due a feed or after shedding, whichever comes latter.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:22:31  Show Profile
thank you, hi also wanted to know how i could help it shed better is there anything i should do to the viv, like spray or anything cheers

lynn
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:29:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Has it had problems shedding in the past?

Some people do spray theirs after the eyes have cleared, but I've never had any issues.

If, when they start to shed they don't do it completely then you can give them a soak in a luke warm bath and then gently run them through a towel to help remove any left-over bits.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:32:44  Show Profile
this is my first snake, i have had it only a few weeks, its about 18 months old so this is the first time for me

lynn
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  13:00:23  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Well you've come to the right place, this forum is a wealth of information ^^

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: