Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 help with housing/temp/feeding...everything!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

littlelisa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  06:12:17  Show Profile
hi all,
i have just bought first my baby corn, and was told by the shop to keep her in this little plastic carry thingy...clear plastic with a black lid that has a clear opening window in the top (hope you know what i mean). i also bought a heatmat, i have got the temp set at 30 but it dont feel that warm when you put you hand inside at the bottom. i have got a viv but dont know when i should transfer her to it, also she hasnt fed yet (i got her sunday morning) i am getting paranoid now that im not doing it right.

lisa

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:15:33  Show Profile
hi lisa,
I know exactly what you mean your set up sounds like mine, I have my plastic container set up in my viv, the heat mat is on the viv floor and the plastic housing sits on top of this, if it is the same as mine your plastic one should have a marking on the base as to where the heat mat should cover (1/3 of the area).
How big is your viv? You won't be putting her in yet if I remember correctly she is only 5-6 weeks, she will have a long time in her plastic housing yet.
When I got our Snape we left him a week til feeding him, to settle in, even though he was due the day after we got him, it gave him time to get used to his surroundings and then we handled him for the first time before feeding him only for a short period though. We leave him 48 hours after feeding then handled him 5 mins every night to start with until he started to get used to us, they can be a little jumpy to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:37:41  Show Profile
your temp sounds fine, we were told to keep ours a little higher coz the heat mat is in the big viv and needed to heat through the plastic and substrate, but if you have a thermometer that is in the plastic housing at the warm end reading 30 then this sounds fine.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:45:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good advice there from PF, check your temps with a thermometer (digital if possible) and leave her (name?) for a week to settle in, I'd suggest to try feeding her next Sunday, then, if she eats, leave her a couple of days to digest before handling her.

How big is the plastic viv you have, the bigger viv and snakey?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:50:15  Show Profile
hey BE, started to wander where everyone was!! obviously all having a lie in!!
getting a bit worried for punkas in the health section can you post a reply to him see what you think, i just put what i thought i would do in his situation but i think you might be a bit more knowledgable, cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:21:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I didn't really want to post as I know nothing about Milk Snakes. I have a friend that I'm seeing today who keeps Kings so I'll get him to read it and see if he has any advice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:51:12  Show Profile
ok, that would be good hopefully he can give you some advice for him.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  09:58:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by littlelisa

hi all,
i have just bought first my baby corn, and was told by the shop to keep her in this little plastic carry thingy...clear plastic with a black lid that has a clear opening window in the top (hope you know what i mean). i also bought a heatmat, i have got the temp set at 30 but it dont feel that warm when you put you hand inside at the bottom. i have got a viv but dont know when i should transfer her to it, also she hasnt fed yet (i got her sunday morning) i am getting paranoid now that im not doing it right.

That's strange as you should definately feel the heat if the temp is 30*C (try the back of your hand).

I guess you dont have a thermostat to control the temperature as it's not mentioned ?

If you do then setting the dial to '30*C' will not mean the temp is 30*C you have to position the probe on the heatmat to get an accurate reading from your thermometer. Then set the dial by the temp the thermometer reads with the thermometer probe on the heatmat too.

A heatmat without a stat gets to over 40*C usually.

I hope this make sense
Go to Top of Page

littlelisa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  06:45:31  Show Profile
hi, i do have a thermastat, dut i think maybe i had too much chippings covering the floor, (think i was going for the shagpile carpet effect) lol. As for feeding, i know im just a bit scared because if something dont eat it dies!! Think i need to calm down stop stressing and enjoy her/him.

lisa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  07:59:05  Show Profile
you will be surprised how long your snake will go without food, but don't panic about that now, like you said start enjoying her, if you do have problems when it comes to feeding there are lots of things you can do to encourage her, people will advise you more on that subject if you need it.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  08:24:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Aye, when I first got Wiggle she didn't eat for 3 weeks (and a lot go longer than that) but now she's a dustbin.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  20:58:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Has anyone found that Anerys in particular are dustbins?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000