891 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  17:59:14  Show Profile
Be like going from beefburger to steak lol

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  18:02:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You're right though, he should easily take it, he's chunky enough.

Are you of the opinion that I ought not to handle him before then?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  18:02:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You're right though, he should easily take it, he's chunky enough.

Are you of the opinion that I ought not to handle him before then?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  18:08:22  Show Profile
well I would get him into a routine first of feeding everytime you offer food rather than thinking "oh is he gonna take it this time ?". Once he gets into a solid routine then I would say there's no problem handling more often. The only thing is though that some can get stressed by too much regular handling which affects their feeding.

This doesn't mean that your snake will never refuse 'a' feed, but 99% of the time it should take the food offered.

It will only be a short while of not handling, or maybe handle in between each feed once.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  18:08:22  Show Profile
well I would get him into a routine first of feeding everytime you offer food rather than thinking "oh is he gonna take it this time ?". Once he gets into a solid routine then I would say there's no problem handling more often. The only thing is though that some can get stressed by too much regular handling which affects their feeding.

This doesn't mean that your snake will never refuse 'a' feed, but 99% of the time it should take the food offered.

It will only be a short while of not handling, or maybe handle in between each feed once.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  18:15:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  18:15:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  22:19:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Ok so its Sunday and Rocky has just had his first Small Mouse (unfortunately Assist-Fed, but better than nowt) :)

It was so hard not to handle him this week, not sure I'll last another!

Thanks again everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  22:19:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Ok so its Sunday and Rocky has just had his first Small Mouse (unfortunately Assist-Fed, but better than nowt) :)

It was so hard not to handle him this week, not sure I'll last another!

Thanks again everyone.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  22:24:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
just defrosting Queenie's small mouse now.....
I DID handle him for 5 minutes the other night and I HAVE been taking photos in his RUB today so we'll see how it goes.....

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  22:24:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
just defrosting Queenie's small mouse now.....
I DID handle him for 5 minutes the other night and I HAVE been taking photos in his RUB today so we'll see how it goes.....

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  22:27:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2008 :  22:27:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  21:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Yay!! Queenie struck and constricted 1st time, mouse gone 10 mins later, do I dare say we're on a royal roll!!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  21:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Yay!! Queenie struck and constricted 1st time, mouse gone 10 mins later, do I dare say we're on a royal roll!!!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  21:53:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Alison, that's great news, tail tapping or straight to the business end?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  21:53:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Alison, that's great news, tail tapping or straight to the business end?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  22:43:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
business end and quite keen he was too!
I was thinking that me handling him and taking photos would have put him off feeding again but no! I might try handling him once or twice a week just for 5 mins at a time and see how he goes..... will keep you all posted

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2008 :  22:43:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
business end and quite keen he was too!
I was thinking that me handling him and taking photos would have put him off feeding again but no! I might try handling him once or twice a week just for 5 mins at a time and see how he goes..... will keep you all posted

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000