Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:33:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hello all, quick question about mouse size.

Wiggle has now eaten 3 fuzzies 2 weeks in a row (i.e. last Sunday and tonight) so I'm presuming she's ready for the next size up - small mice, however, she's still fairly small so I don't want to overstretch her.

Should I give it a go and if so, is one small mouse equivalent to 3 fuzzies, or should I try her with 2 small mice?

Cheers

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:40:30  Show Profile
hi. how old is she? (just curious)

i was under the impression the size of the food should not be more than 1 and a half times the size of the thickest part of its body. as a general rule.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:44:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
She is Nov '07, so coming up for a year. I too have heard that the food should not be more than 1.5 x girth and I think it should be ok, it just looks so big in comparison to her head. My royal could take it with second thought.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:51:11  Show Profile
mine is sep 07 and is only gets 1 fuzzy every 5-7 days.

do alot of people feed multiple fuzzys?????

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Wiggle tends to stay out looking for more if one isn't enough or retire up a branch or into a hide if she's done.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  22:57:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
If you buy small mice from a petshop they're usually quite helpful if you ask specifically for ones at the smaller end of the 'small mice' size range. Recently I bulk bought 50 regular sized mice over the internet and I've graded them into sizes myself and will feed accordingly. I bought from TSM Reptiles and was very happy with them - http://www.tsmreptiles.com/frozenfood.html

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  23:35:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Cheers for that, looks very reasonable.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

300 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  16:53:32  Show Profile
you can use rat pups there bigger than fuzzies but smaller than small mic
e

cb07 - male - corn snake
cb07 - male - red tailed boa
cb06 - female - salmon pink tarantula
wc - male-female - asian forest scorpions
indian stick insects
2 african land snails

soon to be mine-
4 red bellied toads or a emperor scorpion cant decide :P
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  18:24:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Cheers, will look into that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  21:23:33  Show Profile
Well my Carolina is Nov 07 and he is on 2 crawlers (2 sizes up from pinkies) a week though ive also noticed hes nearly 3 feet long WOW thats nearly a foot since i bought him in may!! sorry just realised that!! after ive given him the 2 crawlers hes still looking for more so might try him with 3 on saturday or should i try him on 1 small mouse??

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  22:46:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
probably best to try 3 crawlers for a few weeks as smaller prey items are easier to digest. then try moving on to small mice after a few feeds when his stomach is up to a meal that size.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  15:29:11  Show Profile
chester is almost 3 foot so im gonna up him to 2 fuzzys.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:09:26  Show Profile
Thanks Gingerpony for the advice i will give him 3 Crawlers for a few weeks and see what happens, DAZB chester must be about the same size as Kirk and hes moving onto 3 Crawlers, is it possible that you are under feeding him???

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:18:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How heavy are your snakes?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  16:19:12  Show Profile
starting to think i am slightly under feeding him.
i was giving him a fuzzy every 5-7 days as that is the correct size for him. however i was not told about multiple feedings (if you know wot i mean)
I fed him a fuzzy and a pinky that i had left over and he seemed to take both quickly so am now gonna move him up to 2 fuzzys and see how he goes.
he is about 3 foot long but onlt about the thickness of a sharpie marker pen.
gonna weigh him this weekend so we shall see.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  17:42:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Wiggle is probably about 2.5 feet but easily takes multiple fuzzies so Chester should be fine.

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  00:12:21  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage
i went back to the pet store i got Mystery from. They advice me that he was still a little too young to move up, and i also mentioned that i could not see a bulge once he had eaten. They adviced that i moved him up to five fuzzies a week. Seems like a lot now gets feed 2Wed 1Fri 2Sun. Hes a lot more active now, feeds well and generally likes to try and escape lol.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  08:19:51  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The only thing you have to watch for with that is your snake getting fat. Fuzzies have a lot more fat in them than small mice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  09:24:41  Show Profile
It's not a problem for young snakes to have fattier foods as they're growing faster, etc.

But 5 fuzzies - NO way lol that's stupid (sorry)

without seeing the snake it's hard to give a second opinion & a picture wont really help much.....

Edited by - n/a on 10/07/2008 09:25:05
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  09:31:06  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Sorry MM, should have been more clear, Fuzzies are obviously fine for young snakes, it was the fact that he was advised to give 5 a week that worried me.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  10:00:51  Show Profile
They prob advised it to get more money out of you; I wonder if they say it to anyone else too lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000