New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  15:25:04  Show Profile
I have decided to get a couple of 4 foot aquapac VX vivariums for my boys. However, they don't come with lighting. I know some of you have these (or similar) vivs. What do you recommend for light fittings? I only use the lights for evening viewing and cleaning out but want the vivs to look good. Ideally I don't want wires everywhere!

I have kept them in glass tanks up to now but really don't like the look of them and they are awkward to clean out I find.

I shall have to cover the heat mats that have to go inside the vivs as they are wooden. I wanted a slate to cover them but can't seem to find anyone who sells slate roof tiles. What do you use?

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  19:39:26  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i normally get a bulb fitting and screw it to the roof of the viv the connect to a plug using 3 strand cable and pass it through a drilled hole in the top back wall

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  19:41:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I nicked my slate tiles out of a skip
I think moneymaker suggested putting lino over the heatmats to stop the snake burrowing and coming into contact with the mat directly. I use newspaper and put the hides and rocks over the heatmat to pin the newspaper in place.
Sorry I've no answers re. the AquaPac lighting

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  20:46:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by saddleninja

i normally get a bulb fitting and screw it to the roof of the viv the connect to a plug using 3 strand cable and pass it through a drilled hole in the top back wall

Thats exactly what i do with my handmade vivs

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2008 :  21:39:43  Show Profile
I know that B&Q do low voltage led lights for under unit lighting, three in a pack, but you can extend them upto 6 running off one unit. I think they were selling them off at £10 the last time I looked. Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  09:47:28  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone used these?

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=22&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  09:50:30  Show Profile
Any one else think it looks like an iron? I just use a standard 15 watt light bulb, but if i put it on its too hot! Does anyone know what type of light produces very little heat but enough light to light up the viv well?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  10:51:12  Show Profile
I would say that the energy saver type bulbs don't give off that much heat, and you can get quite a few that are now fairly compact. I know that they are alot cooler that normal bulbs. Hope thia helps.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  13:40:15  Show Profile
Yes I use energy saving bulbs already (9W). I only ever have the lights on for an hour or so in the evenings and they never affect the temperatures in the viv.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  09:01:59  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
never seen a fitting like that, the ones i get from local hardware shop cost about £2.50

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  09:17:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mancunian

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone used these?

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=22&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4

Yeah I had one & it waspoopdidn't work, but I could have just been unlucky
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  10:29:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Can you use a small fluorescent tube?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  11:06:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Can you use a small fluorescent tube?

I have an aversion to fluorescent tubes

I have oredered an Arcadia light fitting without the reflector shield. Should do the trick. Just need to sort out the heatmat now. Thought of covering it with a cork tile as not had any luck finding roof slates. If you silicone the edges of the mat & tile to the floor of the viv, can you get it off again if the heatmat fails and you need to fit a new mat?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  15:54:32  Show Profile
you should be able to peel off the silicone easily.

Blackecho; It has a screw in UV light bulb.

Although apparently there are some that have been found to be dangerous;

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

Edited by - n/a on 27/07/2008 15:55:11
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  17:25:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I thought he said in the first post that it didn't come with any lighting.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  18:38:16  Show Profile
The viv dosn't, thats why I need some! The Arcadia lamp I have ordered with it fits a screw in bulb. i shall just have to screww it in place when it arrives.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  19:05:35  Show Profile
I think they look cool & compact, it was just unfortunate that the one I had didn't work. That was a few years ago now though (4 or 5 I think?). I was going to use my one for 2 baby beardies attatched to the back wall, low down to where they bask under their lamp so the UV was closer to them. (also had a second UV tube on the ceiling of the viv).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000