New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  15:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some of you may know, a couple of weeks ago my corn threw up his meal,some people suggested that the mouse was too big, so I changed from adult mice to hoppers, My boy is 2yrs old roughly, but quite thin and long, not very wide at all, I'm just not sure on whether or not the hoppers are too small or not. He has managed to keep his meal down this time so I don't want to feed him on adults until his next shed really, but would it be worth trying to feed him two hoppers? See if he is interested in the second one or not, I would upload pictures of him eating but I can't seem to work PhotoBucket at all. I don't want to under feed him but I really don't want to make him throw up again.

Any help would be appreciated xxx

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:05:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do the hoppers leave a visible bump?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much of a dent did the adult mouse put in? Your looking for something around 1.5x the girth of its body. Hoppers may be a better try but personally id only feed one and see if it keeps that one down first. If it does then maybe try 2 hoppers. Not sure if youve seen this guide but it helps, though its not gospel its good to make a reference to.

-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  16:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Brooks

-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

Thank You Matt Brooks, very helpful! Tomorrow I am meant to feed him so I will weigh both him and the mice to see which to feed him as I have a few adult mice left over- DannyBrown91, The hoppers leave a small lump,not massive though. But will definitely try that guide tomorrow!

Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  04:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have been given good advice here Angel, but please be careful with using the guide....it is helpful but it is a VERY ROUGH guide you can use to give you a basic idea of what size food your boy should be on....but I know forum members whose snakes should supposedly be on a certain size cos of their weight but arent big enough for them yet, so you should only use it in conjunction with common sense and a knowledge of your snake, it should not be followed religiously.

This is a bit of the guide (rewritten so it is easier to read with snake weight first) that I would think applies to you) -

Snake (30 – 50g) = fuzzy (7 – 9g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (51 – 90g) = fluff/hoppers (7 – 12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (91-170g) = Small Adult/Weaned (13-18g) - feed every 7 days

Unfortunately a lot of people who have only just got corns are giving advice using this guide....but without saying anything else.

Because he is long and thin it may take him a while to be ready to move up to the next size, meaning on to the small adult mice. What is most important with him is that you need to make sure that the small mouse's girth is no bigger than 1.5 times the size of the widest part of your snake's body girth. If it is bigger than that then he is not ready to move up.

This is why it is probably best to move him on to two hoppers for a while so he can get some weight on. Offer him the first one, wait until the 'bump' has worked its way to about half way down his body and then offer him the second. When it gets to the point that there is no longer a bump once he has finished his 'dinner' of two hoppers, then you can move him up to the next prey size.

There is no rush Angel, you dont want to power feed him when he isnt ready....so just slow and steady.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  09:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kellog! When I bought the adults I thought they looked a bit big, But I will wait a a while before I move him up! Thanks everyone!! xxx

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  14:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I weighed him and the mice today, he weighs around 160g and two hoppers weighed around 20g, He ate both of them perfectly and I hopehe will keep them both down!
Thanks x

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What surprises me, is how fast they grow once they start eating more! We had been under-feeding Bella for the first three months (on pet shop advice unfortunately) and she was 14g when we got her, 19g just under two months later!!! Shocking! When we read some advice on here (great advice like above), we started feeding her two pinkies and within three weeks she had jumped to 44g - Honestly! I was really surprised. Then after another couple of weeks of the same (two pinkies) she reached 54g. We fed her last week on one pinky (but it was the largest we had ever got and left a nice bump on her) and I have now weighed her at 57g. SO... I went and bought ten of the next size up and they are twice the size of the larger pinky she ate this week :/ so although the table says it is ok, knowing my own snake, i'm not sure, so I will go and buy some more larger pinkies to up her size rather than weight a little more before feeding her the next size up. They're frozen though (obviously), so its not as if there's any rush to use them, but at this rate, won't be long until she's ready :)

Sorry about waffling on, guess what i'm trying to get at is that the table above is a great help, but like Kellog so rightly says, i'm sure you know what you're snake is truelly ready for and when :) Let us know if he has kept them down ok :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  16:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly my problem Fal, I thought he could cope with the bigger adults as they were the only ones that looked sort of alright at the reptile shop, but yes you are right, I know my snake and how much he can cope with but you have all reassured me! THANKS! xxx

Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not seen this guide before but according to this squidward should be on fuzzies now. i've been giving him two pinks since i got him and these leave a nice bump but he hasnt put on any weight. should i move him up or continue with the pinks?he's quite thin and im not sure if the fuzzies would be too big. i know kasey is ready to move to the next size but he's still hit and miss with his feeding at the mo so im putting that off till he's back on track. summat to think about tho, thanks for posting it

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  04:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad he ate the 2 hoppers well Angel....but I know that you are now in for the nervous wait to see if he keeps them down. Try not to worry too much, I think you are right in what you felt about why he regurged last time....so he should be fine this time. Trust yourself and how you know your snake .

quote:
Originally posted by amanda121921

not seen this guide before but according to this squidward should be on fuzzies now. i've been giving him two pinks since i got him and these leave a nice bump but he hasnt put on any weight. should i move him up or continue with the pinks?he's quite thin and im not sure if the fuzzies would be too big. i know kasey is ready to move to the next size but he's still hit and miss with his feeding at the mo so im putting that off till he's back on track. summat to think about tho, thanks for posting it

I am not sure what advice to give Amanda. The fact that Squidward is on 2 pinkies, which are leaving a nice bump, but he isnt putting on any weight is confusing. How often do you weigh him and what have his recent weights been? I cant remember how long you have had him, how long has he been on 2 pinkies and what was he on before you got him? Is he pooing, shedding and behaving normally?

The most important thing is whether a small fuzzy would be too big for him, in which case you need to stay on the 2 pinkies for longer. It may be that he is just a slow grower or there may be a health problem. It may be worthwhile doing your own post in the health section if he is not putting on any weight at all....

I am sorry Kasey is still a trouble feeder. Could you maybe try him with a fuzzy and if it doesnt work offer him his normal pinkies? May be worth a try and you may find he prefers fuzzies....but I am NO expert Amanda....I am just trying to come up with suggestions that might help....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  07:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

The most important thing is whether a small fuzzy would be too big for him, in which case you need to stay on the 2 pinkies for longer. It may be that he is just a slow grower or there may be a health problem. It may be worthwhile doing your own post in the health section if he is not putting on any weight at all....

Kellog is right, If he isn't putting on a lot of weight you would probably get a lot more help if you post your own in the health section, people in there will be looking to help people with their snakes, you will get a lot more help there to be honest!! Hope Squidward will be alright! (P.S Squidward is a great name!!) LoL

XXX

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000