Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  17:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so ive borrowed my sisters digital scales n they weigh as follows:
Coraline 26g
Zebedee 34g
Bailey 34g

does this sound right?? coraline will be a year in august, Zebedee is a year at the end of the month and Bailey was a year in feb

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  17:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a beginner, but I don't think there are any 'right' or 'wrong' weights in regards to the age of the snake. It's more to do with the size and how often you feed them.

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  17:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
il be honest - at a year old it does seem a little small, how recently did you get them? if they have been in rep shops for most of their lives so far then a basic 'rep shop' diet ie fed the bare minimum once a week then it will explain it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  17:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got zebedee in september last year got coraline in january then got bailey nearly a month ago

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like they have been on maintainance diets then, with regular feeds that increase over time they will gain weight nicely - you may have noticed an increase in their shedding patterns since you got them?

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to b honest ive got no info on zebedee from the shop n really basic info on the other 2 so not sure about the shedding amount! how often should they b shedding roughly?

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tbh it comes down to how much they are being fed,
what are they currently getting? mine were shedding around once every 4-6weeks i think at that weight

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are being fed once a week on a tuesday theyve all been having double pinkies until last week when the bigger 2 had a fuzzie each

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds good but you may want to increase the feeding to maybe every 6days but every 7 is fine you'll notice that as their food size increases they should gain a bit more weight and get into a regular shedding pattern of around once every 6ish weeks

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how often should i weigh them? Zebedee shed last week n Bailey shed at the begining of may but Coraline hasnt shed 4 a while ive only just started writting it all down so cant say exactly when it was shes shed twice since ive had her tho

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  18:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its up to you, some people weigh their snakes before every feed, personally i dont as i dont really see the point, mine get weighed once a month give or take,
thats good that coraline has shed 2ce since jan - shes putting on weight nicely already
dont worry about having only just started to write everything down - i was pretty crappy at it when i got mont, now im super organised and write it all down, except their poops..with 6 corns my calender would be covered in poop

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  19:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol yeah i dont write the poos down either! Zebedee has shed 3 times since jan so thats a good sign then?

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  19:36:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I fed my yearlings every 7 days, one grew over 5ft, one grew 3ft 8, you maybe just have small snakes. I have no idea about the weight of snakes as accordance to age though. I record the length and wieght everytime they shed.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 07/06/2010 21:58:12
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  19:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah means hes growing nicely, when you start writing it down you do notice a pattern and as the size of the food increases and the time gap lengthens their sheds will slow down but they will still stay regular if that makes sense
a full grown corn on a maintainence diet of say 1jumbo mouse every 2weeks will probably shed every 2-3months, maybe bit longer/shorter depending on the snake

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  04:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything you have been told by HannahB is right Natalie....they may be a bit small for their age but that is probably down to them being on the maintenance diet. Pet shops tend to only feed their snakes minimum sizes so they they just get enough nutrition to survive rather than to grow. This means that now you have got them and they are on a proper feeding schedule you will get to see them grow naturally....and they do also grow at very different rates. You can find corns from the same clutch, fed the same food being very different sizes and weights.

I do weigh mine before each feed. It is just good to have a regular time to weigh them and as I feed them out of their vivs it is easy to pop the RUB on the scales to get their weight before offering them their food.

The fact that they are shedding well does show that they are putting on weight nicely and, as HannahB said, you will soon notice a pattern to when they shed. Their weight gain will slow down as you move up prey size but the gap between feeds lengthens, which is why their shedding will also slow down, despite the fact they are still growing....but that is in the future.

The main thing is to try not to worry too much (easy to type and hard to do, I know....especially as you went from no corns to 3 corns in such a short period of time!). As long as they are feeding well, putting on weight, pooing normally (which you dont have to document unless you are a bit paranoid like me ), shedding regularly and behaving like happy snakes then you are doing a good job !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i weighed my pinkies 2nite the smaller 1s ive been doubling up only weigh 1-2grams the bigger pinkies r 3-4grams i feel really bad!! its so confusing different shops doing different sizes n calling them different names!!

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  21:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont feel bad - i have never weighed any of my pinkies or any of my corns food so ive probably done the same thing, at least now you can correct it

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000