New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  19:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all.

I was handling my 4 footish Corn earlier, and noticed that his backbone protrudes slightly. Is this as sign that he's on the thin side. He currently gets 1 medium mouse per week. He was on large mice for a while, but I was worried that he'd get fat.

Should I increase the food size, or could the visible backbone be a sign of another illness?

Many thanks,

Justin

1.0.0 Snow Corn

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  19:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im no expert but i guess a visable backbone could be an indication that he's a little on the thin size. how much does he weigh?were you weighing him while he was on the large mice?was he looking a bit porky or did you just change because you were worried he might get that way? sorry for all the questions but the answers might help someone with a little more experience be able to point you in the right direction.my kasey has started to get a slightly protruding backbone when he was off his food for a few months so apart from that, i've not got the experience to be able to help you. hopefully someone who can will be along soon to put your mind at rest

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've no idea of his weight to be honest. I must get my finger out and weigh all my snakes.
He didn't look porky when he was on the large mice, but I was just worried that he would get that way.

To be honest I don't really think he's ill. He eats and poops OK, and is very active. He did have a very bad shed last week, but I think that was down to the fact that he didn't really make use of his moist hide.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when he was on large mice how often were you feeding? quite a few people on here feed their corns large mice on a 7-10day basis (some less often) and yes they do gain a bit of weight but it soon evens out

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The spine should be defined, though not sticking out of the snake. A photo would help to determine wether its under weight or not.

Edit - spelling

Edited by - matty18714 on 08/06/2010 20:21:29
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hannah when he was on large he was getting fed every 7 days.

Matt, here's a couple photo's that were taken last week to show what turned out to be a badly retained shed on the underside of his neck, that's been fully sorted now. They don't really show the backbone, but they'll give you an idea of the snakes weight. I should also say that its like a little ridge running down his back.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snake looks a fine weight to me.

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  20:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Matt, that's put my mind at rest. I've only been keeping snakes just over a year, and am still on the learning curve. I thought it best to ask though.

I think I'll finish the medium mice I have (a couple months worth) and move up to large, as he really gets the mediums down very fast.

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  23:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup, he looks ok to me too. you could try him with the larger mice and then move him back down again if he does get too chubby. cant really say more than that tho coz mine are still young uns!

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  23:28:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it helps, you can see the spine of my obese snake XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  00:09:29  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you start seeing the spaces between the scales when he is in a relaxed state (not feeding) or curled up, this is a sign he is getting chubby. Obviously a set of scales is an ideal way .

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  02:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It certainly would help to know his weight Justin, so we can get some idea of what he should be feeding on. When you feed him the medium mouse once a week is there a bump? If not then he could probably do with being moved up to large mice.

Just as an example I feed Silvesta, who is just under 4', is approx nearly 4 yrs old and weighs 330g 2 medium mice once a week. I will move him up to large as soon as I have finished this lot of mediums. Kellog, my 5yr old, is 4'6" and weighs about 700g....he is now on a maintenance diet of one jumbo mouse every 2 weeks.

This thread may interest you, especially Blackecho's post about what shape your snake would be if you cut him in half....triangular (thin), an arch (just right) or circular (overweight) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9816

In the pics he certainly looks fine, although it can be hard to tell from a pic. And it is always best to ask....I have been keeping corns for about the same time as you and know I still have so much to learn. Even the most experienced keepers on here will admit that they dont know everything !! So keep asking!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000