New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  16:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got a 2nd hand viv want 2 give it a really good clean what should i use?? whats safe n whats not? can i use antibactiral spray??

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  16:27:51  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsie-j

just got a 2nd hand viv want 2 give it a really good clean what should i use?? whats safe n whats not? can i use antibactiral spray??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cascade-Reptile-Vivarium-Disinfectant-500ml-Cleaner-/270544399751?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item3efdb3ed87 if you click on this link you will see the what is safe to use for cleaing your viv out for your reptiles. You need to be careful what you use as you risk harming your reptiels. Hope this helps you

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  16:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah that is helpful [:-)] thanx! think i read some if its safe 4 baby produts its snake safe so could i use milton sterilser fluid does anyone know??

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  16:53:09  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest i wouldnt chance it i would rather use somthing that is produced for the cleaing of reptile viv. If you have a look in the care sheet there mayb something there that will tell you what is suitable or click on the search button at top right hand side of screen. Some one with bit more experiance mayb be able to tell you if it any good, as i not been keeping snakes that long

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  17:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use washing up liquid and make it all bubbly and warm water >>; should probably start using some special stuff though.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  17:58:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have a zoo med reptile dissinfectant spray.

but i have also heard that weak dissinfectants and things that are safe to use with babies are reptile safe, but like newsnakekeeper i'm still fairly new to snake keeping so would wait for someone who has a little more experience to confirm it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  18:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use tesco sterilizing fluid, its for doing babys bottles. I use that for water bowls and rocks etc and reptile spray disinfectant for the viv and other bits and pieces.

Dont use glass cleaners or kitchen surface cleaners.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  18:20:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just use hot water and a sponge with the green scrubber thing on for the water bowls. Could do with getting something for it really so nice one matty.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  18:31:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some household disinfectants (such as Dettol) can be highly toxic to reptiles as they contain phenols. I use BeaClean for Reptiles.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  09:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been soaking hides and water bowls in a weakish solution of bleach, and then soaking them in fresh hot water before using. is this okay? sorry to hijack thread

dee x x x x

Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  22:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use a reptile disinfectant but the guy i bought my snakes from said it was ok to use a mild bleach solution as long as you rinse it well. to be honest tho, it's probably best to stick with something made for reptiles just to be on the safe side

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  03:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use something called Tamodine (I think, but my memory is awful ). It is supposedly reptile friendly and was sold by a reptile dealer. Also lots of hot water and scrubbing!

This thread may be of some help as it has been discussed before - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5921

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000