Small Snake Big Appetite
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  09:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We recently bought our second corn, he is a male and about 8 months old. He lives in a small viv within our larger snakes tank and until last night all had been well. He escaped last night and ate our large corn's mouse. He usually has pinkies and this was a medium mouse (our larger snake is 5' and normally eats large but has been turning her nose up recently). I am struggling to find any advice on this (not surprising really as I can't imagine it happens too often) but am I safe to assume if he swallowed it he should be ok?

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  09:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He may regurge it, but he may be fine.

I dont really reccomend this set up though.

What if he had escaped and the 5' Corn had eaten him?

Can you not get another mat and stat and put your small viv on top of the large viv?

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  10:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doesn't sound to safe to me either. i would move your small corn away incase what gaz sed might happen. he will prob regurge it as if he is on pinks and has eaten a medium mouse it will be way to large. he might not but i would leave him for 2 weeks feeding as he has had about 4 times his usual amount

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  10:45:11  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, please seperate them before the big snake thinks the little one is dinner!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:34:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As has been said, the mouse is way too big for him and i can't see him being able to digest it. He will probably regurge. If he does reegurge then leave him 10-14 days before attempting to feed again. If he does miraculously manage to digest such a big meal then i would guess he wouldn't need feeding for a long time. Possibly upto a month but others would be able to give better advice.

But please do something about the set up you have. Is the small snake in a faun? How big is the Adults viv?

For the sake of your snakes safety a new mat and stat isn't all that expensive.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry this has happened Lianne, it must have come as quite a shock to you....firstly for him to escape into the larger corn's viv and then for him to eat the medium mouse.

He may well regurge....but that is not definite. All you can do is keep a close eye on him and I would suggest that you dont handle him until he has pooed and the bump has gone, rather than just wait the usual 48hrs after a feed. I am no expert and have not had any experience in this area, I doubt many people have. I also suggest you wait 10 days before you feed him again, rather than feed him on his usual feeding schedule.

The concerns expressed by everyone is very valid. Although you are not co-habiting your snakes (as in that they are sharing a viv), it is obviously possible for the little one to escape into the large ones viv and the results could be awful. If possible I would take the little one's viv out of the larger viv so there is no chance of this happening again. Do you know how he escaped?

Am sorry I cant help more....except to say wait and see. Have a look at this link so that you can be prepared in case he does regurge - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792.

Please let us know how he is doing.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  13:16:58  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As above, it's very probable that he regurges the mouse, but it's not sure.
I'm really surprised that he managed to eat it though.
All you have to do is wait and see.
If he regurges the mouse, do the proper treatment.
Hope everything turns out fine..
Keep us updated!
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  16:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lianne, hope all is OK with little snakey and ditto on what everyone else has said about the housing issue. I'm also wondering how you go about feeding big snakey. Many people feed in a separate faun or plastic box so that the snakes do not accidentally eat substrate with the mouse but I presume you're feeding in the viv if the little snake got to dinner first. Do you put the mouse on a dish or paper or something and are you supervising when he/she eats? Not having a go, just wondering.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have a looky at the small snakes faun to try to figure out how he escaped, and then make sure it's nice and secure when you put it back inside the larger viv.
The housing setup you have for the smaller one, although not ideal is functional and doing it's job so hopefully you'll be able to get it better sorted as time progresses.

As for the larger one not eating, this is happening at the moment with a lot of snakes and has been put down to a fairly natural 'breeding season'. There's a few members on here with snakes that have only just started eating after fasting for a few weeks, and there are others like you whose snake has only just stopped eating.
It's nothing to worry about just yet, just keep a check on the snakes weight and if it loses to much then look further but it's more than likely because it's feeling a bit frisky.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000