constricting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello there, i have recently purchased a corn snake (a black and white one, cant remember the morph name) he is about 7 months old and he feeds well, but i have noticed that he doesnt constrict his prey and i was wondereing if this is normal in younger snakes?

cheers

marc

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black and white is possibley anery, though im far from an expert on morphs. Not all snakes constrict, they can smell the difference between a live prey item and something thats already dead, which I hope is what your using.

2.0 Normal Corn "Monty" "Charlie"
0.1 Amel Corn "May"
1.0 Western Hognose "Gerard"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah its defrosted rat pups, i just wondered because looking at videos of corn snakes feeding they usually constrict, i try and make his food seem to be "alive" by moving it around the viv, its really fasinating watching him stalk.

good point though
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:51:11  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Don't worry about the constricting part!
Some don't constrict at all but my corn, Spaghettino constricted now, that he is 8 months old, for the first time!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah I wouldn't be worried about it, all of mine sometimes constrict and sometimes don't. You'll get a nice suprise the first time he does constrict

2.0 Normal Corn "Monty" "Charlie"
0.1 Amel Corn "May"
1.0 Western Hognose "Gerard"
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:55:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the wiggling works for constriction, sometimes it doesn't and they just get angry and strike at it r they get scared of it XD if it's a young one he might not feel the need to constrict since most of his prey would be toothless so he can just eat them alive.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh cool, maybe its just a matter of time then? he was alot smaller than the other corn snakes which were the same age and the people at the shop said he may be a bit shy and sometimes was fussy about eating, but so far hes taken every rat pup ive fed him.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definatly sounds like an Anery to me. Are you feeding rat pups on every feed? if so id try and change over to pinkies or double pinkies as rat pups are high in fat. You can feed rat pups more of a varied diet maybe 1 in 4 or so.

Matt

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  21:44:56  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Brooks

Definatly sounds like an Anery to me. Are you feeding rat pups on every feed? if so id try and change over to pinkies or double pinkies as rat pups are high in fat. You can feed rat pups more of a varied diet maybe 1 in 4 or so.

Matt

Its true that rats have a higher fat content than mice but they are also more nutricious. Rats can be fed but should be fed less often than mice.

Apparently the reason alot of corns fed on rats get fat isn't because of the rats fat content is so high but because the owners feed too often.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000