Male & Female
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  22:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it matter which sex the snake is i mean are females harder to get its just most of the ads ive seen for corns always seem to be male or is it a Temperamental thing males more likely to throw a hissy fit?????

it may look like a stupid question but hey ive been told there is no such thing in reptile keeping

0.0.1 bearded dragon
Corns to follow A.S.A.P

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  22:45:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's not a stupid question! I've got a male snake and he's the sweetest, most gentle creature you could have. A lot of the owners on here aren't sure if they have male or female. I suppose it only really matters if you want to breed. I asked when I was doing my research before getting a snake and was told there's not much difference regarding their temperament. It's just a question of individual preference really. Hope that helps.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  22:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does yes thank you

its always best checking everything out

0.0.1 bearded dragon
Corns to follow A.S.A.P
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  23:05:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
breeders generally keep more females back than males for future projects, other breeders will buy surplus females and some males, so the majority of 'pet shop' snakes will be the left over males that have been wholesaled out.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  23:15:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The only difference I am aware of that I've been told is that females can grow a bit bigger than males generally. Not sure if this actually applies to corn but that's what I was told.

My male is so laid back, he's lovely. My female is lovely too although she can seem to have her moments where she will swing or be really skittish when being handled but I think it's all really down to each snake.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  04:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never dealt with female snakes but the one difference that has become obvious is that with males, as they get older, you do have to deal with the issue of them going off their food during the mating season (only reason for bringing this up is that I am dealing with 2 horny males at the moment )....but once you have worked out what is going on, then you know that it is a period that you just have to wait out until they decide to eat again.

Although I havent had females I have seen this discussed on here before and there really doesnt seem to be much difference between the 2 sexes, I think it is more down to the personality of the snake itself and how it is cared for.

I must admit that I never thought about the fact that there are more males available....so I am glad you asked that question (which definitely wasnt a stupid question) as now, thanks to Eeji, I know why!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  16:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see im gonna have to dig deeper to find the daddy of stupid questions it'll come believe me...lol

Many thanks for the replies it has been very helpful.

I really like this place most helpful and informative

0.0.1 bearded dragon
Corns to follow A.S.A.P
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  16:34:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also ones that are for rehoming from a previous owner may be unsexed and generalised as males.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  19:58:32  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can defo agree with kellogs comments on males fasting as i have just gone thru it with one of mine. He took a mouse last night tho so I think he is getting there but its been a long long road getting there. Sighs cant wait till next year NOT lol

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000