Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  00:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
ive have now decided to buy a fish tank as a viv till i can afford a proper viv
i am going to use heat mats instead of a heat lamp as the snake will be in my room but im not sure what wattage heat mat to use any ideas

2.0.0 corn snakes (Vinnie and Leo)
1.1.0 cats ( jayda and thomas)

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  00:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wattage of the heat mat does not matter.

As long as you get a mat that is one third to a half the size of the tanks floor space you will be perfectly alright.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  00:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most are usually about 7 watts, but the wattage doesn't really make a great deal of odds, it's the size of the mat.
It needs to cover about 1/3rd of the viv floor, I shall re-post an old paint pic I made about 50 years ago to give a rough idea of what I mean as well.
Also make sure it's got a thermostat attached (either pulse prop or mat-stat) as it'll stop it overheating and save a couple quids a year on electricity.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  02:26:56  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I shall re-post an old paint pic I made about 50 years ago to give a rough idea of what I mean as well.

Only 50 years ago? Lol.

misspiggy18 - I saw your other post about what you need for a faunarium
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9736
Are you actually planning on getting a faun, or are you now getting a fish tank? If you go for the faun, then you should get away with a 11" x 6" 7w mat. If you are going for a fish tank then go by K's guide above.
As your questions are pre set up questions you may want to consider posting all your questions in one post so you can keep track of them more easier , this is what I did, and then the helpful members highlighted their answers in red or green so then it was easy for me to get all the info I needed. Here is my original post about a buying list before I got my Corn
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5799

There is also a link to my original pre buying advice, loads of questions were asked and I got loads of answers.
Hope this helps

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 23/05/2010 02:42:57
Go to Top of Page

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  10:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
little mick ive now decided to go with a fish tanknow and i will use k's guide as well thanks

2.0.0 corn snakes (Vinnie and Leo)
1.1.0 cats ( jayda and thomas)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000