coco moss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone please help with this, I have just seen a hanging basket liner made out of COCO MOSS and it would make a great hide, is this safe to use with my corn?????

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  03:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent heard of coconut moss being used as a hide before Steve. I know coconut shells are often used and sometimes coconut husks can be used as a substrate....but does have issues with being damp. I would have THOUGHT that the moss retaining any humidity would be an issue.

Moss is generally only used when a snake needs help shedding and then it is dampened, but I dont know enough about the coco moss you mention to know whether it would be safe enough to use.

Another thought would be as it has been prepared as a liner for a hanging basket how do you make sure it is free of all the 'nasties' that you dont want to add into your viv? Like the way we bleach and bake wood, or boil the moss added for damp hides?

Sorry, havent really been of any help .....but at least I tried !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  07:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Kellog, you have been of help mate I never thought about how to treat it to make it safe for the viv. Result is I think I will stick to what I have as hides already and leave the coco moss for the baskets.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  07:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry would just like to add that I am greatful for all the help you have given me since I started with corns kellog your advice and information has been invaluble to me and I am sure to many others.
Steve xx
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  10:12:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've heard of Cocoplanters but not cocomoss? I have no idea if they are the same thing. I would have thought that the stuff you get in hanging baskets would be fine as long as it doesn't get wet and doesn't have any nasties although if it does, it should be on the label.

http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/lucky-reptile-coco-planter-07l-small-cp-s-2207-p.asp
I feel so stupid now, these are the perfect damp hide when there's a bad shed all you need to do is add water :o but they mke a good dry hide when they are dry XD
That's a cocoplanter so it does look safe to use.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 23/05/2010 07:41:46
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  17:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks staple never thought to read the lable lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  17:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having looked at the link you have in your message Staple those planters look the same cheers for that
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  04:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for putting me right Sta~ple....sorry if I misled you Steve .

I was just going by what I thought regarding moss being damp and using something that wasnt rep-proof....and obviously I had never heard of coco moss before.... If it is something that is made for reps then it will be perfectly fine for you to use as a hide.

Apologies again Steve.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  07:50:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't be sorry Kellog, I have no idea if I'm right XD I just thought that they looked similar and the stuff in hanging baskets is supposed to be all natural. I have never even heard of coco moss before either. I'm just guessing it's just really fined chopped up stuff. That reptile coco planter may be more suited to other animals more but it should be ok with snakes as long as it doesn't get damp.

Edit: They are made from the same stuff called coco fibre. Just checked Wilkos <3

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 23/05/2010 07:55:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  20:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to say sorry Kellog like you said you havent heard of it before and thats fine. You advice is still appreciated.
Thanks again Staple
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000