Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  17:58:28  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can corn snakes have a stable diet on another rodent bar mice.. i know pythons have the option between mice or rats and its not advisable for corns to eat rats 24/7 due to fat content..but if you chose to feed ya corn on a different rodent what would the options be.. if there are any?

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:04:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I imagine rats would be ok if you fed less often but other than that i don't know.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:05:08  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what about gerbils/hammys

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:08:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I imagine they could be seen as prey, not sure what nutritional value they have, ie weather they are better than mice or weather they are high in fat etc.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've read that gerbils are perfectly fine to feed but they can be addictive, so dont expect the snake to go back to mice easily

i dont know if they are better than mice or not, so i'll stick around and wait for someone to tell us lol
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:18:39  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my lot have had variations in their diets before...... mice, hammys chicks.. have never fed gerbils..my big corn kellogg is on the odd rabbit pink every now n then but not fed those often cause of high fat content.. but from what i have looked up food comparisons between mice n gerbils/hammy weight wise they are roughly the same.. but i shall look into nutrition factor

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:52:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can feed them hamhams and gerbils but I don't know how you would get hold of them to be honest unless you bought one alive and the killed it. Even if you can get them frozen they would probably cost more anyway. I think if these animals had better nutritional value, they would be the ones sold instead of mice.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  20:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feed it on any rodents you can get your hands on. Mice are proven to be very good as a main prey item but anything in moderation is ok (e.g. other rodents or a chick every now and then). The only reason rats arnt recomended is because anything that itsnt fully grown (chicks or rats) is going to have a high fat content making it less suitable. But as long as they are offered in moderation its fine.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  21:53:48  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ditto, you can also feed small lizards, although as Figs said, I have heard of Corns going off their main diet and sticking to the new prey they have been given.

Our LRS sells
Mice
Gerbils
Hamsters
Rats
Guinea Pigs
Quail Chicks

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 22/05/2010 21:54:24
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  21:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Ditto, you can also feed small lizards, although as Figs said, I have heard of Corns going off their main diet and sticking to the new prey they have been given.

Our LRS sells
Mice
Gerbils
Hamsters
Rats
Guinea Pigs
Quail Chicks

does anything think it would be a problem getting stuck on a different food?
(say like adult rodents other than mice so they arent too fatty)
or is it just that they are more expensive and a little harder to find so its more of a hassle?
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  23:07:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
multimammates are supposededly good nutritionally, i remember seeing a comparison report some time ago.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  02:52:20  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was only 1 person from another forum that said about having problems getting their snake back on mice after feeding something else. I guess it down to each snake as individuals. Same with my Leopard Gecko, she used to love crickets and although she still eats a few she prefers mealworms.

So really it's upto you to try it and see. And no, it isn't harder to buy any particular prey, at least not in my LRS. Gerbils are lightly more expensive than mice, and they don't do pinky Gerbs, I think the smallest is a medium Gerb. Over £1 each

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  07:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
littlemick.. ur lrs??? well i have fed multis before and the gerbils hammys and multis are very easy to get hold of.. as i use various companies online..

the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  07:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would assume he means local reptile shop.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  08:07:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guinea pigs? Are you serious? I know it's just a giant fat mouse but I thought people fed big snakes Rabbits or chicken o.o;

Are multimammates quite fattening since they are closely related to rats?

Does anywhere sell feeder lizards? I can't find anywhere on-line that does.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  08:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the shop where i get my food from sells alsoughts but i never thought baout feedeing other prey items to monty. i think i will just stick with mice myself.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  09:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I wouldn't worry about a corn not wanting mice after you give it something differant. I just cant see that happening.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  11:21:56  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

the shop where i get my food from sells alsoughts but i never thought baout feedeing other prey items to monty. i think i will just stick with mice myself.

Same, maybe the odd rat from time to time.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  12:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i just feed mine the odd rat they seem to enjoy that but otherwise they stay on mice :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  13:10:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe they can prefer some foods over another as they will each contain different amounts of various nutrients and they try to adjust their diet to what they think they need and refuse some foods incase what they are wanting/need comes along.

My female I used to feed her mice, the only way I could get her to eat them was if I wiggled it. Even then she would bite it, constrict it and then spend ages trying to figure out where it's head was. Then she would kind of forget about food and wander off so I had to repeat the process again.

It's a different story if the food is rats, no problems. The only thing I can think of why she does this is maybe the smell is more appetising.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  21:11:46  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Personally I wouldn't worry about a corn not wanting mice after you give it something differant. I just cant see that happening.

that happened with my first ever corn, once he got big i changed his food to rat weaners (before I knew any better) and he got too fat. It took ages to get him back onto eating mice properly after that, without any refusals or resorting to 'tricks'

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000