New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  23:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Today i discovered eggs in my terrarium, i guess the one i was unsertian about wasent a male after all. She has layed 13 eggs so far and got more comming. I have never breed snakes befor but i didnt want to let the eggs go to wast so i thought i'd give it a go.

I mada a home made incubator from 2 tubs, one large, one smaller. In the bottom of the large one i put a "anti frost owen", a 200w oven with thermostat you use in greenhouses.

So atm the setup holds 97% humidity and 29,4c.
I found that this was ok here on the forum.
But how much will the egs endure in terms of temp and humidity fluxiations. I mean, will the eggs die if the temp reches to say 30c for a shor time?

The substrate i use to get this kind of humidity is really wet and i was wondering if this can damage the eggs as i put them directly on the substrate?

I was also wondering about the "not turning the eggs" rule.
I'm not sure all the eggs are exactly the sam way in the incubator as they was layed in the terrarium by the snake, is this a certian deth sentance for them?

Also, i do appoligise for my bad englis as im not from uk,us etc im doing the best i can.

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  23:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the substrate is REALLY wet, then it could cause problems with the eggs going mouldy.
Usually just nice and damp is sufficient, in regards the turning the eggs rule although it's not recommended at all there is a belief that you have about 18-24 hours max before the embryo attaches itself to the inside of the egg, so hopefully you'll be ok.
If you lightly pencil a small line on the top of the eggs now then you'll have a lovely clear idea if any of them get knocked at all.
The humidity is brilliant, although as said above if the substrate is to wet it could cause further problems so might be worth squeezing some of the water out of the substrate.
I incubated my eggs at about 28c, they can be incubated at temps of up to around 30c and it can normally make incubation slightly faster but you take a much greater risk of having hatchlings with problems. If you could drop to around the 28c mark because then if it does go up by .5c or so then it shouldn't cause any large issue.

No need to apologise for your bad english, it's easy to understand so is all ok.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000