Argh! Unexpected Breeding!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  12:12:14  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to this website so I don't really know what to do, but I have quite a problem with my cornsnakes...
I have 2 corn snakes. Had em for about 3 years, and have been told that they were both males, but they're not. One has just had 9 eggs. And because I thought she was a male, I didn't know she was pregnant, and have had to move the vivarium recently, and also move the snakes out to clean the viv, so they have been a little stressed. I think the eggs are infertile, as they are very small, not white, but a creamy colour, I don't know whether to decribe it as yellow or not, and they have tiny little pimples, and are very oblong in shape. I have read into it, but I am still not sure what to do with them.
I have a homemade incubator, using a polystyrene box, a heat mat, thermostat and some boxes filled with the aspen stuff from the bottom of the viv. I have wet that and put a bowl of water in the bottom of the incubator to try and keep the humidity up, but I don't know if it's working. I don't know what to do from now, or whether the eggs are even fertile, or what to do with the mother to ensure she's safe... what would you guys suggest?? My apologies for the very long post...
Thank you,
Taz

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  12:24:09  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Taz
I'm really not an expert so I can't offer much advice. Have you looked on our caresheet, on the homepage? There is a section on there about breeding.
I'm sure one of our experts will be along soon and will be able to help in a much more positive way!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  12:34:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could you take a picture of the eggs? Some eggs can be round, some can be very long and both are fine. I would change the aspen for vermiculite? (I think it's called that)Or maybe moss as it tends to hold the humidity better but if you think your not going to be able to pick them up without rotating them too much I would leave them on there, you would just have be to extra careful with the humidity levels and if any mould develops try and take it out of clean it with a cotton bud. Mist the substrate that the eggies are on every few days to keep the humidity up. If the eggs are dimpled you could put damp moss or damp kitchen roll over them for a few days and they should plum up if they are ok.

Has she finished laying yet? I wild separate her from the male permanently. If you don't have a spare viv yet, In the mean time I would put him in a RUB with air holes. If you have no fed her yet, try giving her a small meal, she will be exhausted from laying the eggs and I would leave her for a while to sleep.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  12:41:26  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah I've fed her half a small mouse, I didn't want the meal to be too big for her. I think she's finished laying, she stopped at 2 the morning! I have a spare viv and have put the male in there. I will get some vermiculite, keep the humidity up, and see what happens. I hope they are fertile, would be great to have some babies! Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  12:41:59  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh and by the way, how do you put pictures on here??
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  12:44:24  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, one thing I do know for sure is that you mustn't turn the eggs. Lift them very carefully from where they were laid and pop them in the rub the same way up.
Glad sta~ple came along to give you good advice! Good luck.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  13:22:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hope they hatch for you :) I went through the exact same thing a few months ago, I was told that they were both female though and in all the 8 years I had them they never bred until a few months ago :/the little ons in my sig are a result of an accidient How many eggies do you have?

If you upload to something like photobucket and copy the image code (it should start with [*IMG] but without the *) and paste it here it should show up.

You want the humidity to be as near as 100% as possible so if you don't have a hygrometer it would be worth investing in one if the eggs are indeed fertile. Also, start collecting takeway tubs or any spare lunch boxes that you can put holes in and chuck away after use and some plastic bottle caps, loo rolls and have some kitchen roll ready for when or if they do hatch :D

Edited by - Sta~ple on 17/05/2010 13:22:30
Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  13:26:54  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
haha, I have 9 eggs. How can I check if they are fertile? Or is it just guesswork? I'm not that great at guesswork.. hmmm.. How can I increase humidity? I've dampened the aspen. There's a bowl of water in there and damp kitchen roll over the top of the eggs. Will that be okay?
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  13:56:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unfertile eggs go yellow within 24 hours, healthy ones stay whitey/cream.
http://www.vmsherp.com/images/LearningCenter/BallEggs468x351.JPG
The ones to the left are fertile and the infertile one is on the right. You can also try holding them up to a light and see if an red veins are develeoping but this might be a bit risky as in the process you might turn the egg.

Humidity can be increased by adding damp kitchen roll to corners of the incubator or adding more water bowels.

The damp kitchen roll over the top off the eggs should only really be done if the eggs look like they have deflated. Without a hygrometer it's impossible to know what the humidity is I'm afraid.

Do not spray the eggs directly either and wipe the water droplets that appear on the lid of the incubator once a day or every two days? I know it sounds daft to make the incubation box really humid but not let and water properly touch them but damages the eggs, I cannot tell you why though as I have no idea myself :(

Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  14:13:36  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okay thank you, that's helpful :) I'll get a hygrometer, and vermiculite etc today. Hopefully these eggs will hatch! :s
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  05:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry you, and your female, have had to go through this Taz. I do hope she and the eggs are ok.

quote:
Originally posted by taz666

oh and by the way, how do you put pictures on here??

I dont know anything about breeding or eggs but this link will help show you how to put pictures on here - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

xxx

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  22:03:12  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Do not spray the eggs directly either and wipe the water droplets that appear on the lid of the incubator once a day or every two days? I know it sounds daft to make the incubation box really humid but not let and water properly touch them but damages the eggs, I cannot tell you why though as I have no idea myself :(

because out in the wild the lay site would have lots more ventilation so the eggs would be laid somewhere warm and humid without being wet.
I'm guessing they'd go all soft and manky if they got too wet

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory

Edited by - eeji on 18/05/2010 22:05:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000