Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  20:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.valuevivariums.co.uk/reptile-snake-section-vivarium-thermostats-c-263_219.html

we looking at gettin the double one. save on plug room

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  20:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A stat is essential peice of kit. £25 in the long run is cheaper and easier than dealing with a burn from a heatmat temperature surge, and the smell.. and sorry state your snake will be in, the pain and the guilt and regret you'll be feeling, but saying that burns are rare, but I've seen the mats, 8w ones in fact, can surge to around 100F and higher.

I am probably going to get crucified for this but here goes. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/174166-do-i-really-need-thermostat.html

I am not the owner of that thread, I stuck it up for the benefit of the OP to see that thermostats are needed. The only thing you can thank me for is going; CTRL C, CTRL V.

No flaming is meant by my post, but it is something I feel strongly about, having learnt it myself.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  04:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dale, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I know it must feel as though you have been bombarded with comments about how you are keeping your snake....but please remember that all we care about is its welfare....and the fact that you have joined us on here shows how important that is to you too.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am sorry you were not told about leaving your snake to settle in....We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!). It is definitely a good idea to start that week from now...no handling or feeding for the week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake....and that is all that is important.

You mention that you handled it for about an hour. To be honest that sounds like a long time to have a little snake out. Even with my adults I only handle them for a maximum of 30/45 minutes. We would usually suggest that you start out by only handling for 5 to 10 minutes to begin with. Corns dont become tame or enjoy handling - they learn to tolerate it and do enjoy the time out of their vivs. It could very well be that the first handling session seemed to go so well because it was scared and didnt move much because of that. It would also explain why it suddenly darts about when you try to catch it. Before you start to handle it again it may be worthwhile reading through this topic to give you some hints on how to deal with picking it up etc - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735&SearchTerms=I+always+fiddle+with+my+snakes'+substrate+

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately you have already experienced what many of us know, pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Hopefully when you got your snake you were able to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Well done for putting up pics! They are the first thing usually demanded . Your viv is very big for a small snake. There is a lot of discussion about the pros and cons about this, but I think the overall opinion is that little snakes can be scared by large spaces....this could cause it stress and affect its eating. It may be worthwhile thinking about investing in a faun and moving him into that viv when it is bigger. One of my adults (that is 3'5" long) is in a viv that size. The point about escaping through the gap is a good one, I have a paper binder on the edge of the inside glass door to seal the gap.

I am sorry that the words 'stupid' and 'ignorant' were used in reference to you not having a stat. That was uncalled for. But it is purely because we are all aware how dangerous an unstatted heatmat is. Although you may be told that they wont get up to a heat that will burn your snake that has been proved to be untrue. As far as I know (and I am not sure about this) whichever stat you get should work with any size heatmat. Does your heatmat cover one-third of the area inside the viv? I am just wondering why it is such a low wattage one in such a large viv (although I know nothing about wattage so could be getting this totally wrong!). I have tried to on/off stats but havent been happy with the amount they allowed the temp to drop before switching back on....although I know a number of forum members use them. I have the habistat pulse stat - it may mean more cost but it is worth it for peace of mind. The need for a digital thermometer is also vital as how else can you accurately monitor the temp inside your viv? The dial ones are virtually useless. You need to place the probe for the digital thermometer on the heatmat so that it is registering what heat is being emitted and therefore what heat your snake is feeling, which should be about 27 - 29oC at substrate level. This is also where the probe for the stat needs to go (most of us lie the 2 probes together, horizontally, so they are measuring the same place). A stat can malfunction which is why a digital thermometer is so necessary.

I know this is a load of information for you to take on board....so apologies for the essay ....I just hope that it is helpful.

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 17/05/2010 04:11:05
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  15:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that its all useful information.

I am going to invest in a pulse stat one as like you say and I from other reviews I have read an 'on/off' stat lets the temp get too hot and too low before it kicks in or out.

He only tried to evade being caught that one time, and now seems perfectly calm and inqusitive - I admit I'm no expert with no experiance but I was taken aback as to how comfortable he seemed to be being handled. He even seems to know me - when my partner holds him he always tries to get back to me! Though I see your point about tolerating it as apposed to enjoying the handling. But of course he's getting a week to himself now!

Do I put the probe under the substrate where the mat is or on top? I've not seen him do it, but I suppose he can tunnel underneath where its much hotter.

In the shop he had dozens of hatchlings all in small plastic like draws with no obvious heat source - that confuses me and if I put him into his faun do I then put that in the viv half over the mat?

I'm used to keeping a diary I do so for my marine tank.

Thanks again for all your advice

And I am addicted already!!

Edited by - n/a on 17/05/2010 15:37:11
Go to Top of Page

dean54321
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  16:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi#
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  02:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dale_hopkinson

Thanks for that its all useful information.

I am going to invest in a pulse stat one as like you say and I from other reviews I have read an 'on/off' stat lets the temp get too hot and too low before it kicks in or out.

He only tried to evade being caught that one time, and now seems perfectly calm and inqusitive - I admit I'm no expert with no experiance but I was taken aback as to how comfortable he seemed to be being handled. He even seems to know me - when my partner holds him he always tries to get back to me! Though I see your point about tolerating it as apposed to enjoying the handling. But of course he's getting a week to himself now!

Do I put the probe under the substrate where the mat is or on top? I've not seen him do it, but I suppose he can tunnel underneath where its much hotter.

In the shop he had dozens of hatchlings all in small plastic like draws with no obvious heat source - that confuses me and if I put him into his faun do I then put that in the viv half over the mat?

I'm used to keeping a diary I do so for my marine tank.

Thanks again for all your advice

And I am addicted already!!

I am so glad you are going to invest in the pulse stat....and the sooner the better. I know some people do use the on/off stats without a problem, but personally I didnt like the amount of temp variation it allowed.

I am a bit confused about your set up. I am assuming that at the moment you have your snake in a faun/tank? I have not dealt with those as I only have adults in wooden vivs, where the set-up is different....but from what I have learnt you should have the heatmat underneath the faun (with one-third of the fauns base area over it). You then need to place the probes for the stat and the digital thermometer (which is another vital piece of kit) inside the faun, lying horizontally over the heatmat. Then you just need to add a sprinkling of substrate over the heated area, deepening it to burrowing depth towards the cool end. This means that the temp and stat are measuring what the heat is that is coming from the mat through the base of the faun. Some people rubber-band the 2 probes together (never uses ties as these can injure your snake). You will need to weigh down the probes with a heavy hide or stones to ensure that your snake doesnt move the probes around. If you have a wooden viv already with the heatmat in it, then what you are suggesting is right....putting the faun in the viv half over the mat and the probes inside the faun.

I do understand what you mean about the set-up in the pet shop. I would GUESS that there is a heatmat under the tubs that the hatchlings are in, although I do not know for certain. The turnover it usually very high so you dont find hatchlings remain in that set-up for long (at least you hope they dont, as it is so far from ideal ).

It is great that you are keeping a diary, I know I sometimes feel a bit embarrassed for keeping such detailed notes, but I also know that if there is a problem then I have them to refer back to.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  19:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use mat stats, and the temp fluctuates between 26-28 so IMO it's fine within those temp ranges for corns. Bearing in mind it's only at these points while it's heating, and not heating, the average temp is in the 27*C somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  07:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  11:43:46  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome!! :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  19:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just fed him for the first time! Gobbled it up in seconds! Although he ate it from the bottom end and took a few attempts to get both legs in!
Worried about temps its 80 in the cool end with this crazy weather, i've turnd off the mat.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  09:33:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  03:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dale_hopkinson

Just fed him for the first time! Gobbled it up in seconds! Although he ate it from the bottom end and took a few attempts to get both legs in!
Worried about temps its 80 in the cool end with this crazy weather, i've turnd off the mat.

So glad he fed so well for you Dale, always such a relief when that happens .

This weather is making life really difficult for the snakes at the moment, but I am not sure how wise it is to turn off the mat. Your snake still needs to have a constant temp at substrate level in the warm end, especially after a feed, which you wont get with the mat turned off. Checkout some of the recent topics, which have mentioned it, or ask start your own topic as to what to do when it gets so hot....then you can get people who really know their stuff giving you some ideas.

Name yet??????????

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  21:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's cooled down now so all seems to be well :-)

Can't beleive its almost time for 2nd feed already!

If he's a boy, I'm gonna go with Sylar.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  02:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sylar - beautiful name! Guess you must be a Heroes fan .

Amazing how quick time goes by and am sure you cant wait til that 2nd feed....

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000