Hey :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  13:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I'm Rachel. We're a week into owning our first ever corn and totally loving it so far (though we've only handled her once so far as she's still settling in and about to shed). She's a little fire yearling, will post photos soon. Nice too meet you all!

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  13:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome along cant wait to see pics

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  15:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome
its nice to meet you too, and i cant wait to meet your snake!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  15:31:41  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. We're a friendly bunch on here so I'm sure you'll be glad you joined us!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  15:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
make sure you leave her for a week to totally settle in, look forwards to seeing pics

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  17:03:57  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  18:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello =) is that her in your sig? Lovely colour if so

2.0 Normal Corn "Monty" "Charlie"
0.1 Amel Corn "May"
1.0 Western Hognose "Gerard"
Go to Top of Page

Dan-sunkist
Hatchling

Ireland
143 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  19:13:49  Show Profile  Click to see Dan-sunkist's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome cant wait to see pics

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  19:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, i have seen the pics in the photo section and she is lovely

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome aboard

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  03:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rachel, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I had never heard of a fire corn before so went searching on our 'Morph Master's' site and found this http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/fire/!! They look absolutely stunning !

I dont know how much you know about corns so sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better heard twice than not at all. Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am glad you are letting Ruby settle in, as said we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow her to get over the stress of the move and for her to get used to the new smells and her new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so she can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about her not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting Ruby to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

And she is already about to shed ....what an experience so soon! I am not sure how much you know about shedding, but her eyes go cloudy first and will then clear up and so will her colour....it has caught out a lot of new owners as they think their snake has shed but there is no shed skin . This lasts about 3 - 5 days, it differs from snake to snake, and even though her eyes look clear her vision will still be limited. Look out for her beginning to rub her head against the side of her viv, hide, branches etc....this is a sign that she is about to shed - but I am convinced there is a corn conspiracy that they shed as soon as their owners leave the room, just to frustrate us !! When she has shed you need to check the shed skin to make sure that the eye caps and tail tip have shed cleanly. Then you can get some beautiful pics of her nice and bright and shiny to show us !!

You have probably already found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Hopefully when you got Ruby you were able to get as much info about her as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Well done for following the unwritten forum rule without even knowing about it ! I will head over and check out the pics of her soon but the sig you have done for Ruby shows just how beautiful she is .

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  06:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  14:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, thanks! Please don't worry about repeating yourselves, we are completely brand new to the world of snake ownership (largely due to the fact that I was born and raised in Texas and the only snakes we ever learned about were rattlesnakes and copperheads, which put me off snakes from a young age) and the best way to learn is to hear it over and over, so repeat away! I've found loads of good info online, but this is the first site I found after deciding to get a corn and it seems to be the best, especially with the added bonus of the forum. I feel I am being quite overly-concerned at the moment, spending so much time popping my head into the room where her tank is set up and fretting over whether she's happy or too cold, etc. I've been harassing the poor breeder (the lovely Sue Grubba of http://www.hissnhers.co.uk) with e-mails and texts, but she's been absolutely brilliant and very understanding. It makes me think 'If I'm this bad about a little snake, imagine how bad I'll be when I have my first kid'

In regards to feeding/shedding schedules, I'm not quite sure. She was being kept in a shop which sells snakes off on behalf of the breeder, but I don't think they always remembered to write down the info. A small slip of paper came with her takeaway-style box. The date of hatch is down as 5 June, 2009 and all the feedings are there for June, but it skips around after that, with long gaps between August and November. Most people to whom I've spoken seem to think that she's been underfed, given her size. This concerned me at first, but after a week, I've convinced myself that she's settling in all right. She spent most of the first two or three days buried in the aspen or right at the back of the hide on the warm side of the tank. On day three, I switched from bog roll tubes to the cute little half coconut shell hides and she's become quite predictable with her behaviour ever since (spending most of the daytime in the cool hide, coming out to cruise around the viv between 7 and 8PM).

In closing, I apologise in advance for all of the long, rambling posts you're likely to see from me in the future. I'm a big 'forumer' and sometimes I get carried away (because I work from home and have no life)

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  14:24:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Rachel, welcome to you and Ruby. She really is a little stunner.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  21:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum yeeeeeee haaaaaaa!

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  01:04:27  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum to you and Ruby who looks a stunner :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  02:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ladyevil

Again, thanks! Please don't worry about repeating yourselves, we are completely brand new to the world of snake ownership (largely due to the fact that I was born and raised in Texas and the only snakes we ever learned about were rattlesnakes and copperheads, which put me off snakes from a young age) ........

feel I am being quite overly-concerned at the moment........the lovely Sue Grubba of http://www.hissnhers.co.uk) with e-mails and texts, but she's been absolutely brilliant and very understanding. It makes me think 'If I'm this bad about a little snake, imagine how bad I'll be when I have my first kid'

In regards to feeding/shedding schedules, I'm not quite sure........The date of hatch is down as 5 June, 2009........Most people to whom I've spoken seem to think that she's been underfed, given her size. This concerned me at first, but after a week, I've convinced myself that she's settling in all right.

........long, rambling posts you're likely to see from me in the future. I'm a big 'forumer' and sometimes I get carried away (because I work from home and have no life)

So glad you dont mind getting info repeated to you - I get serious brain fog so often forget what I have told people already . I understand what you mean about growing up surrounded by snakes you are taught to be scared of, I grew up in South Africa! But the strange thing is that it had the opposite effect on me....I just grew more and more curious and wanted a snake from soon after I came to this country. Then it was just a case of waiting for the right time....which was a bit of a long wait!

Dont worry about the overly concerned bit, we all are when we first get our snakes and it is understandable - we are dealing with something that we know very little about, whose behaviour we cant understand, who we cant communicate with.....JUST like having your first child !! But, as with a baby, you take each day at a time and learn as you go.

I wonder how many snakes on this forum have come from Sue , would be interesting to do a count! She has certainly been mentioned a lot and is also recommended, so I am not surprised that she is being so understanding.

I wouldnt worry too much about the info from before you got her....it is really all about keeping notes from now on in, so that you have something to look back on and check if necessary. One hint, I know some members who have had their snakes from hatchlings have kept the sheds....so they can look back and see how small their snakes were. Definitely sounds worth it as when I look at my 2 monsters (in comparison to your little Ruby) I cant imagine them as little babies - I got them as adults so have never done the 'shoelace with a head' bit .

It probably wasnt that she was underfed but more that she was kept on a maintenance diet - which is what a lot of breeders and pet shops do....just feed them enough to keep them going but not to keep them growing (if that makes sense), or it could just be that she is a slow grower....all corns differ and you can compare corns from the same clutch, fed exactly the same thing and they can be totally different sizes. I am sure that now she is with you she will be putting on weight and growing at a rate you wont believe!!

She definitely looks as though she is settling in ok ! Her behaviour is exactly what you would expect for a new snake settling in, and settling in well! It just takes time. All you need to do is reassure yourself that her temps are ok and then you can relax and let her learn about her new home.

As for rambling....I think you have met your match !! You see I have NO life and ramble way too much and post way too much as you will see....I expect you will be hearing a lot from me ! But its just cos I love my corns and I love this forum. I am NO expert, but this forum has been a blessing and it is certainly nice to give a little back .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  08:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, brilliant! It's always nice to see that I'm not the only rambler in a forum, so high five for that :) I've just joined the group on FB as well, looking forward to getting to know y'all better

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000