Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. Just got my first snake. Can't wait to get him sexed so he/she can be named! It's about 3 weeks old and seems to be settling in well. First day loved being handled for about an hour before curling up and going to sleep under my arm . But since he has gotten used to his cage, he doesn't want to come out. Has not tried to bite or strike yet, but can suddenly really dart about when I try to catch him!

I've got some pics but dunno how to upload them on here

Anyway nice to meet all of you no doubt I'll have lots of questions before long!

Dale

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha worked it out!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:43:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's gorgeous :) Very cute head marking. How long have you had him? You normally let them settle in there new home for a week by not touching them and getting them used to your sell by changing their water and playing with their substrate.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had him 2 days. Yeah I've realised now after reading on internet. It's hard to resist but I guess I'll have to leave him be. He is just staying in his hide all the time at the min, but loves climbing around the wooden climb when he's out.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by playing with the substrate? Him or me lol

Edited by - n/a on 16/05/2010 12:54:45
Go to Top of Page

Dan-sunkist
Hatchling

Ireland
143 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  13:35:56  Show Profile  Click to see Dan-sunkist's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lovely snake and welcome

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  13:38:10  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the forum.

You can fiddle with his substrate so your scent is on it.

He's very pretty, looks like a hypo motley.

How big is that viv you have him in? Ideally young corns should be kept in a faunarium as they don't like large open spaces and can often easilly escape through the small gap between the glass on a wooden vivarium.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  13:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome along. nice snake ya have there

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  13:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Shop said he was a 'normal'.
It's a 3 foot viv. He's got a hide in there over the heat source and a small RUB that he came in on the other side. Didn't want to lock him in his box as would be harder to heat and provide water. But he doesn't want to be in he prefers the hide over the heat source. Might switch em around.
The gap is about 2mm between glass and edge of viv. You got me worried now lol

Edited by - n/a on 16/05/2010 13:51:40
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  14:02:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aslong as there is a hide on the warm end and one on the cool end so he can regulate his body temperature leave him as he knows where he needs to be.

Hes deffinitely not a normal, looks Hypo to me and also has the motley pattern, which are the circles which start behind his head and continue 1/4-1/2 way down his body.

If he was sold as a normal/carolina you probably got a good deal, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for him?

Edit: Here are some pictures of Hypos, look at the hatchlings and how similar they are to yours.

http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/hypomelanistic/

And here are some pictures of Normals AKA Carolina/ Wild type/ classic.
http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/normal/

The carolina hatchlings on that page are quite dark but they do vary in colour and shade.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 14:07:00
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  14:34:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dale_hopkinson

What do you mean by playing with the substrate? Him or me lol

You lol but he might have a play as well :)

It could be the camera settings making him look a different colour I guess but he is a very bright bed.

You also need to bring that thermometer down to the floor level ;)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  14:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the viv was 2nd hand dunno why they had thermometer up there! Heat spot is 85, other spot about 70. Its a 8 watt heatmat inside the viv under substrate. I've read people saying this isnt advisiable and I should also get a thermostat. But this vivs last owner owned a corn snake happily in there for several years. I def want some lighting, looking at LED so no heat.

I paid £30 for him, cheapest 'normal' I could find from a shop, others started from £40. There were 2 similar looking siblings in the box, the dealer promised me this one would get the most vivid as he grew. Shop was good, threw in some pinkies as well.

Wow I agree about Hypo, some of those are his double! And his markings are nothing like the markings on those normals.

Edited by - n/a on 16/05/2010 14:55:25
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:00:20  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum :D

that is one pretty snakie you have :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:06:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi & Welcome
Have a look at the caresheet on here via the homepage. It gives lots of info and guidance.
Glad you've read about leaving alone for a week, don't want to stress the lil guy out.
You'll need to leave him/her alone for 48 hours after feeding too. This gives time for the meal to be digested and also helps prevent a regurge, never a good thing.
Another thing you can try to get your snake used to your smell is to put an old item of clothing of yours in his home with him. Just tuck an old sock or something in your top for a day then put it in with the snake. That way your scent will be in with him/her all the time and when you go in to change water, check substrate etc he'll know it's a familiar scent and won't be so wary.
Beautiful hatchling.......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya welcome along i joined a few days ago its a great forum!!! lots of info n friendly people
if ur worried about ur gorgeous snake escaping just wedge some cardboard in the gap its worth doing take a look http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9578
and that really is a gorgeous snake!!

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:40:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would say a thermostat is a must specially if you go away and it keeps the temps nice and even you can get cheap ones if you shop about. If you don't need one for this heat mat you will do eventually when he grows up with the higher powered heat mats.

I got some amazing lights from Asda that have LED's! They are battery powered push lights, you just peel the back and stick them where you want ^^ I have yet to put them in but they seem to work great.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:43:24  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Regardless of wether your friend kept a corn in that tank and it was fine a thermostat is an absolutely crucial piece of kit and to not get one is stupid and in this case ignorant. This could explain why your corn hasn't been going on the warm end.

Do you have a digital therm or are you taking the temp readings off that dial therm?

quote:

And his markings are nothing like the markings on those normals.

Thats because there isn't a picture of a normal motley hatchling.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 16:11:50
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:07:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, That is a stunning looking snakie. I'm sure once you read around a bit on here you will find the best way to keep your little one. I was a complete novice when I got our first corn in December but this site has been marvelous at helping me to feel confident I have got the best set up for him.
3 weeks seems very young tho, did you get a feeding record with him/her?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
very cute snake but if possible could you please shrink your pics before posting them - on my netbook its a pain having to scroll across

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  19:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I saw those asda led's too but thought against them because of going through tonnes of batteries.

I have another lose thermometer in addition to the one stuck high up. He's staying on the warm side not the cold side. The temps are just about right and stable, so a thermostat would be set to keep it as it is now. But if I get one just incase, will it work fine with any old heat mat or will the voltage flickering/varying damage it? One that clicks on and off would give temp fluctuations?

I know the pics are big sorry lol I've only ever used a forum that allows you to upload them and puts them at an appropriate size.

He said he had been eating fine on a Thursday.

Thanks for all your help so far

Edited by - n/a on 16/05/2010 19:59:07
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  20:15:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah I saw those asda led's too but thought against them because of going through tonnes of batteries.

I have another lose thermometer in addition to the one stuck high up. He's staying on the warm side not the cold side. The temps are just about right and stable, so a thermostat would be set to keep it as it is now. But if I get one just incase, will it work fine with any old heat mat or will the voltage flickering/varying damage it? One that clicks on and off would give temp fluctuations?

I know the pics are big sorry lol I've only ever used a forum that allows you to upload them and puts them at an appropriate size.

He said he had been eating fine on a Thursday.

Thanks for all your help so far

Hrm didn't think for the batteries but then gain, I'm only going to be using them to check on them at night so they won't be on any longer than 5 mins.

I can't really comment on stats apart from make sure you get a mat stat with your mat or a pulse, pulses tend to work better apprently but I have nothing to compare them to. The stats stop the snake from over cooking in the summer if it suddenly gets really hot and your out of the house. My mat unstated I would hate to think how hot it gets and when I was fiddling about with the temps I was reading 31 at times with it statted.

Any make of stat shuld work with any make of heat mat but I only use habistat stuff as I actually wondered about that myself and decided that the same make of heat mats would probably work better with the same stat. But there are a lot of people that don;t use the same make and they seem fine. I think many people would probably advise against the microclimate mat stat though as they seem to let the mat drop a lot in temp before kicking in.

Normal on/off ones you can get for about £22 and the pulse ones I got for cheap and it was £35.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000