How to prepare stones.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  12:12:10  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this is a silly question or has been asked before.

I tried the search button but didn't find anything. We have loads of pebbles in the garden and i was thinking about putting a couple in the snakes fauns, make it look a little nicer and give them something better to rub against when they are going to shed.

I was just wondering how you would prepare them, i was thinking it might be done the same as wood but then i thought maybe you could just boil them for a while.

But anyway i weren't to sure so thought i would ask on here.

So how do you prepare stones/pebbles that have been outside in order to use them in your faun/viv.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  12:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very similar to wood.
With my stones I give them a nice scrub in soapy water with the scratchy side of a sponge, then give them a rinse.

Once rinsed they go in the oven for about an hour at 100-140c, depending on the stone. The reason it's stone dependant is that large stones (brick type ones) can go hotter than others. I've known some large shingle type pebbles to explode in the oven so make sure it's not to hot.

Once they've had about an hour in the oven I take them out and put them somewhere to cool down (or just leave them in the oven) overnight as you'd be surprised at how long some stones will hold heat for.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  13:25:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil. I know they can hold heat for ages, thats why some tribes and people in less developed countries use them for cooking.

Havn't actually got an oven at the minute because it broke yesterday so will have to put them on hold but atleast i know how to do it now.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  13:37:11  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you both!
I wanted to ask the same question..!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  14:10:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

Thanks to you both!
I wanted to ask the same question..!

Theres always somebody else that wants to know, thats why i asked here rather than looking over the net.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  14:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The best stones to use are the Purbeck stone if you can get hold of it, most proper rockeries are made of this stuff and you'll know it's the right stuff because a small amount of it weighs an absolute ton and it wont explode in the oven.
Or standard bricks, these aren't to everyones taste obviously, but give a nice texture and rough edge to help with shedding and they can be heated at the max your oven can go as well.

/edit
Boil the things for as long as possible after cleaning them instead of ovening if you can't use the oven, but cool down times to be similar as well.

If you've got a combi-microwave and are a bit of a mentalist you can stick them in that as well, but I cannot guarantee how safe that'd be.
I'll happily put a tin of baked beans in the microwave to cook, I've zapped stones in the past, but it's not safe or sensible.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/05/2010 14:19:27
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  14:19:32  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kehhlyr.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I did was submerge them in a bath of boiling water with 50% bleach and kept topping up with boiling water, leave it a night but in the morning rinse thepoopout of due to the strong bleach soloution, i mean, rinse it. I had to rinse mine about 8 times throughouly to get rid of the smell of the bleach.

I ussed a strong concentration so more would seep through the rock and get at anything hiding inside it, as one of the rocks in blitz viv has a lot of bumps, cracks and holes in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  16:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Goes off to look for stones...*

Great post!

Thank-You!!

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  16:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skorps

*Goes off to look for stones...*

Great post!

Thank-You!!

xXx

I've found some pretty funky ones lol.

They're currently in the sink.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  16:17:16  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I second what both chaps say. I've used some in my beardies viv and I gave them a thorough wash 'n' scrub in a bleach solution them baked them for a couple of hours before using them.
It's good when you find really attractive ones to add to the vivs.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  19:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just have a few scratchy ones for decoration and for shedding, also to weigh down the probes in Blitz' viv, but he always moves them..

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  19:53:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I give them a good scrub then soaked them in hot water with a bit of bleech for about 90 mins, give them a good rinsing and then boiled them for 2 hours.

I think they should be orite now. Havn't put them in yet though.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  21:11:44  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well that treatment should have killed any little nasties that were lurking !!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  21:42:03  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Well that treatment should have killed any little nasties that were lurking !!!

I'm hoping so.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  21:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO I'd rinse it, prehaps leaving it in fresh water overnight, then blast with the hose then repeat untill you can't smell any more bleach. :)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  21:57:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

IMO I'd rinse it, prehaps leaving it in fresh water overnight, then blast with the hose then repeat untill you can't smell any more bleach. :)

I can't smell bleech on them now. They got a good rinse before getting boiled and then another rinse after that.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  14:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha will defo be lookin for stones now thanks xxx

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]