Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  18:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd say Hi. I bought my son a snake today for his 20th birthday and I've been reading this forum for a few days now and its been really helpful, so I thought seeing as we have the snake it might be wise to introduce myself in case we need any advise in the future.

We think his snake is a few months old and as of now its still nameless, we also don't know its sex but we can take it back to the shop to be probed (have no idea what that is yet) in a few months time.

As you can probably tell I'm just as excited as him and can see I may have to get one of my own when he moves out which probably won't be for a long while yet, lol.

http://meandmycornsnake.blogspot.com/

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  18:36:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lovely snake and great birthday present :) My mum first got me one when I was 13 and now she's letting me keep even more for my 21st ^^ I'd say he's around a year old.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  18:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy in the reptile shop did say a few months but we will use today as its birthday anyway. I do think I may end up getting one for myself too as I've always wanted one.

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  18:56:44  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My ex bought me Spaghettino..!
My mother was thrilled but my father not so much!
Welcome to the forum!
Nice snake..!
Cutie!

Edited by - mozacchio on 07/05/2010 18:57:06
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  19:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome. cool snake, good to see youv'e done your research and got a stat..

unlike many reptile shops, which sell 'Complete' starter kits, sometimes without the neccesary equipment.

Well done you, and to your rep shop!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  20:25:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome and congrats on getting a corn. I got both of ours for my sons and now i really want one of my own. Mind you, i get lots of playtime with the boys ones as they forget to get them out so I do when they've gone to bed

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new arrival, and its great that you have done your research before hand.

I would also say your snake is around 1 year old.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  20:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't even think there would be starter kits and had been pricing everything up individually but now Jordan (my son) has time to get a vivarium, lamps etc, over the next few months and really shop around for it

The shop was really good and they said any problems he can always go there for advice too.

Its going to be really hard to leave him/her now to settle in to their new home though.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  20:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are going to measure him/her (I really hope my son thinks of a name really soon) when we get them out in a week or so we are going to take measurements, but it doesn't matter really how old they are as long as we now get to watch them grow up.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  20:52:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lamps are fine, but it is cheaper and just as effective to get a heatmat and stat instead.

Do you have a thermostat and digital thermometer in your current set up?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  21:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Messymoo

I may have to get one of my own when he moves out which probably won't be for a long while yet, lol.

Why wait until he moves out??

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got a heat mat now that has a thermostat attached to it and we've just been talking about him getting a thermometer tomorrow as he didn't get that today.

I really want a dog, I've been on at hubby for years but I'm getting really close now, lol, I'm going to be able to share Jordans snake with him now and if we keep all the set up kit I can get my own snake then :o)

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  00:35:35  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hiya n welcome, nice snakie your son has there :D

ive always wanted a dog but lol i ended up with cats (wasnt a cat person at the time but as she wasnt gettin looked after prop we saved her and she was a gawjus colour and kitten, and then she gave us kittens when she was older so yea) and more snakies... the difference haha. but snakes are addictive :D ... very

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  13:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
looks around the same size as my mont and hes around 10months old now he/she is lovely

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  14:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a tape measure out last night and we think the snake with no name is about 18 inches long but this is a guess, I was trying to find out if you could get an idea of age from length but couldn't really find out any info. I'm begining to think its somewhere between 6 months and year.
It came out for a good roam last night and seemed quite happy :o)
Waiting a week though is going to be so hard before getting it out propaly.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  14:32:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Messymoo

We've got a heat mat now that has a thermostat attached to it and we've just been talking about him getting a thermometer tomorrow as he didn't get that today.

I really want a dog, I've been on at hubby for years but I'm getting really close now, lol, I'm going to be able to share Jordans snake with him now and if we keep all the set up kit I can get my own snake then :o)

Ebay has some good cheap digital thermometer :) aquarium ones do the trick, don't be fooled by the £10 exo terra ones when £3 ones from ebay do the job :) although don't get ones from China >.<

I'm guessing the person you bought it from didn't give you a record :(

Why do you wnat a dog snakes are so much better ;) you don't have to wake up early in the orning to walk a snake neither walk in the rain, they don't molt or slobber either Plus as well generally, snake's don't go to the vets really to be castrated or have injections. Although cats are good since I think of them of like small dogs for lazy people since they walk themselves ^^

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  15:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thermometer advice. No he didn't get any record from the shop but we have got a book ready to start keeping our own records. What should we be writing in the book though exactly, I know we should record shedding, feeding and pooing, should we also record handling and is there anything else we should put down?

We already have 2 cats but they are so independent and I want something that needs me to look after it a bit more as my youngest child is 10 now and I don't want any more kids, 3 is enough for me, lol, a dog just fits the bill for me :o)

I'm definately keeping the starter kit though so when Jordan does eventually move out I'm definately going to get my own snake then, I wouldn't have the space for 2 snakes in my living room now.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  15:23:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww that's good :) I should really get a book too really. For records for my little ones I write down shedding and feeding, not enough room to write down a pooing record I wouldn't record handling. I would maybe record anything bizzar that he does and maybe when he moves into a new viv or RUB and maybe when you clean him out his viv so you know when he is due for his next clean

Ah that's part of the reason why I wouldn't want a dog myself at the moment although I did used to really want one but then I got put off by my boyfriends dog lol.

You know if you get 2 similar sized housing for the snakes you can sit them ontop of each other right ;) Unless the air holes are at the top of the housing. Although waiting until he moves out will give you plenty of time to choose what colour morph you want ^_^

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  22:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought I'd come and let you all know my son named his snake today. He's called her Savara and he's going to think of her as a girl till he finds out for definate, if she end up being a he then it will be Ravara, the names came from some trilogy bike he has been reading.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  04:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tracey, it is really good that you have joined us officially after 'lurking' for a few days ! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

You have obviously already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

It is great that you have the heatmat and stat. Quite a few forum members have used this digital thermometer from ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415270120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3237wt_946. (I made the mistake of ordering one that didnt say where it came from, took 3 weeks as it came from China ....but I didnt mind as they are so necessary)

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

It is great that you are keeping notes on Savara. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Savara is stunning (and it is good to see you have complied with the unwritten forum rule of pics as soon as possible ). He/she is a beautiful colour and seems quite happy nosing his/her way up your son's arm !

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" Your son has just started down that corn path and it sounds as though you are already infected, so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 12/05/2010 05:01:11
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  18:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Kellog, I've spent the last few days reading all through the posts on here and absorbing the information. Me and Jordan can't wait for the evening to watch Savara moving around and he/she is getting more and more braver every night and last night was investing the top of her home and he/she was just amazing to watch.
Jordan is also had a old hanky that was my gramps in his bed for the last few nights and that is going to popped in with Savara so she can really get his scent more so by Friday when its feeding time he/she will be calm and I will be the official photographer for that event :)
I look forward to getting to know everyone and I have already got my eye on the starter kit set up and think when Jordan gets his viv I will be getting my own corn snake then, I even told hubby earlier that I want one now :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000