Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just baught my first hes a candy cane corn snake apparantly? i was told he was a 10 week old hatchling by the owner of the shop but since ive found out he talks total rubbish he told me he wouldnt need heat at all and other stupid stuff so i was wondering if theres a way of telling the rough age and sex of kellogs and any info on morphs wuould be a great help

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

holly n kellogs :)

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry i forgot he is roughly a foot in length and is eating pinkies and how do you tell me when he needs a bigger mouse size

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya holly. roughly a foot would suggest older.
if you put up a pic there might be a better idea.
i know we were told that the mouse size depends on the size of the head. when the snake is fed is there a visable lump in the body?
to give you a rough idea our tiggs is a 2009 and she is less than the size of a ruler and eating pinkies. she has a tiny little head. her last shed is the small one in my sig there to give ya a rough idea. im no expert but it'll give ya an idea.
im sure others will be of greater help. is there any other pet shops that deal with snakes close by they may be able to guide you a bit better?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear you have been given bad advice- it is very common as the owner of the shop wants to make a sale without putting the customer off with all the added extra costly bits.

Only way to tell the sex is to have the snake probed or popped. Probing involves the insertion of a small metal rod into the cloaca and seeing how far in it goes, popping involves exposing the hemipenes (for a male) or a small mound if its a female. Neither one should ever be attempted by someone inexperienced or unsure.

How is your snake set up now? You will need- a heatmat, a thermostat (essential!!), a digital thermometer or 2, plus your enclosure, 2 hides and a water bowl. This is a bare minimum setup.

We also have both a morph and a pictures section- if you post a pic of your snake in there someone will help you with the morph. What I will say is that amels are often passed off as candy canes. Candy canes are technically amels, but are selectively bred to have a bright white background and orange red saddles.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
id go with your snake being maybe slightly older than 10weeks but honestly theres no set sizes for age - iv got one snake who when i first got him was 13inches long and he was the same age as another one which was only 10inches.. all depends on nature

loo rolls make good hides if you need something thats easily replacable, kitchen towel works well as a substrate make sure like SB said that you have a stat to regulate the temps with,

feeding wise please dont go by the size of the head compared to the food - it doesnt work like that, the food you are offering must be no bigger than 1.5x the width of your snake, when you feed him/her you'll notice a bump left by the item, when this is no longer obvious then its time to increase the food size slightly - i always give 2 items instead of one for a few feeds before a big increase - this helps the snake get used to a bigger meal without hurting them

hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 08/05/2010 11:23:32
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  00:23:40  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey Holly, welcome to The Corn Snake Forum, sorry to hear you got bad advice, it's a shame there are such idiots out there seeling animals. But with everyone's help on here you'll be back on track .

As already stated age can vary from snake to snake. Mine was born in July 09, I did my first measurement in November and he was 14", so that was 5 months, and growing at a rate of approx 1" per month. So as an offering I would say yours MAY be about 3-4 months old. No guarentees though.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  01:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just a quick addition to the other info as well; Unless you've got a regulated heat source for the snake I wouldn't attempt to feed it, they need the heat to help digest the food. Without the heat there's a large risk the food will rot in the snakes gut.

Out of curiosity, where you from?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  04:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Holly. I am so sorry you have had this experience with your pet shop. Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. I am so glad that you care enough to have found us and please remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

As far as morphs are concerned (cos so often pet shops know nothing about what morphs they are selling and will often put an expensive morph name to a less expensive corn ) it is best to have a pic. This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I would definitely agree with Kehhlyr regarding the heat source - I had a regurge with one of my snakes because the heatsource was malfunctioning. So it is vital that you get the heat regulated and correct in his viv/faun as soon as possible and then feed him.

As SexyBear mentioned, there is a lot of kit needed that you have probably not been told about - make sure Kellogs has what he needs as soon as possible. You can get digital thermometers cheap on ebay and they come quite quickly, but are vital. Quite a few forum members use this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415270120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3237wt_946. You need the heatmat to supply the heat, the mat stat to control the heat of the heatmat and the digital thermometer to monitor the mat stat as they have been known to malfunction.

Definitely follow HannahB's advice regarding the size of what you feed him - it has nothing to do with the head size (which seems bizarre, I know) but has more to do with Kellogs girth.

I am not sure how long you have had him but we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow Kellogs to get over the stress of the move and for him to get used to the new smells and his new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so he can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about Kellogs not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting him to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. If you havent done this then it may be worthwhile doing it now, especially as there will be some upheaval in his viv/faun while you sort out the heating etc....which will all cause stress (another reason not to feed him at the moment).

I do hope you are able to get what you need and quickly. You are showing how much you care for Kellogs by just having found us and trying to make the changes necessary.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 11/05/2010 04:21:26
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  14:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank u all very much for your help regards to heat the day i picked him up i went straight to a pet shop with a good reputation and got a heat mat heat rock ect and also a new viv as the one he sold me was actually for a gecko with a vented lid i have it on a thermastat and also had him probed at the same shop an kellogs is actually a she lol :)
since every things been done that should of been done kellogs is a lot more active i left him alone for the first week and fed him yesterday he took the pinkie more or less straight away which was a suprise ill get some pics up for morphing issues was told shes a candy cane but not sure erm how do you put pics up xxxxx and thank you all again for your help xxxxxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Just a quick addition to the other info as well; Unless you've got a regulated heat source for the snake I wouldn't attempt to feed it, they need the heat to help digest the food. Without the heat there's a large risk the food will rot in the snakes gut.

Out of curiosity, where you from?

im from hull why??

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if its any help regardin the morph of kellogs hes pretty similar to the snake in the heading at the top of the page

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:20:35  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh Holly, PLEASE don't use a heat rock....your little snake could easily burn herself. Those things should be banned from sale!!!
Can't help you re photos but if you do a search on here for photobucket I'm fairly sure you'll find a topic thread to explain! I'm a nerd when it comes to photos

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:22:23  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Look on www.iansvivarium.com for cornsnake morph guide....amazing!!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Oh Holly, PLEASE don't use a heat rock....your little snake could easily burn herself. Those things should be banned from sale!!!
Can't help you re photos but if you do a search on here for photobucket I'm fairly sure you'll find a topic thread to explain! I'm a nerd when it comes to photos

oh! god wish id of known that it'll be going so will a heat mat be enough heat i also have heat bulbs in there now and do u know the ideal temp for a viv mine stays at 25/26 celuius with the light on constantly

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Look on www.iansvivarium.com for cornsnake morph guide....amazing!!!

thanks a lot for that thinks shes actually a amelanistic no lol :) thanks again

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:35:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The heat mat is fine, we all use those but not one of those nasty rocks. I have Sidney's stat set at 28c/82f during the day and then down to 22c/72f at night. It all works automatically. Don't ask how....hubby set it up for me. I'm a techno-phobe as you have probably gathered! I'm sure there are several of our members who will give you very clear,informative instruction but not me!!!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great thank you i'll get rid of the rock sharpish

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:39:17  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our Sid is an amel....beautiful snakes!!! Good choice. Isn't that morph guide amazing, I've already got a wish-list that needs a mansion to house!!!! Don't tell my hubby

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  15:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly n kellogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

....... Out of curiosity, where you from?

im from hull why??

Just wondering if there was anyone from the forum local ish to you that could point you in the direction of a reputable shop.

So the question is out there now, any recommended shops near Hull anyone??

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  16:06:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are there any listed on the members map? Try looking on the search for a topic thread.....

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  05:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by holly n kellogs

oh! god wish id of known that it'll be going so will a heat mat be enough heat i also have heat bulbs in there now and do u know the ideal temp for a viv mine stays at 25/26 celuius with the light on constantly

Holly, you cant feel bad about the fact that you have been given wrong advice - what is important is that you are here trying to get everything right for Kellogs!!

(Does make me smile that although you have had HER probed and found out that SHE is a female you keep calling HER HIM !!)

As far as the heating in the viv is concerned it is great that you have got rid of the heat rock. You dont need heat lamps and a heatmat. A lot of us just use a heatmat with a stat and then have low wattage low energy bulbs in the vivs - for our benefit to see in, not for the snakes benefit as they dont need the extra light or heat. It certainly wont be doing Kellogs any good having the lights on constantly. What temp do you have the stat set at? (I am hoping that you were sold a stat but have a horrible feeling you might not have been as pet shops rarely recommend them . If you dont have one you need to get one asap.) I have my stat set at about 28oC and it is on that temp constantly 24hrs a day. My digital thermometer shows that the temps fluctuate between 27oC and just over 28oC....which is about right.

Do you have a digital thermometer measuring the heat (with the probe horizontal over the heatmat) at substrate level? I do wonder if you are only getting a reading of 25/26oC cos you are getting the temp from the air....with a dial thermometer stuck on the wall of the viv.

I am so sorry you are having such trouble getting everything right for Kellogs but you are doing a really good job looking after HER and trying care for HER the best way you can. I just wish there was a good shop near you or a forum member nearby that could help....

xxx

Edited to add link to members map - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112536582355638684956.000464c58c16b0ffad1be&z=6

Edited by - Kellog on 13/05/2010 05:08:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000