Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cornsnake is about 2 years and has always been a fussy eater I have asked the pet store where I bought them and he said she is just fussy to keep offering her the mice but if she does not eat to leave her for the next feed, this has been going on for a year now while the other male snakes eats everything.
Now she is laying eggs and has become very thin to a stage she only look about 1 year old.
She laid 4 eggs yesterday I put some small pinnkys in for her she did not eat and more looks like there are more eggs in her.
I am worried the eggs wont hatch and she will die throu the process.
Can someone advise me on if I shoukld be feeding her while laying eggs or if too thin will she die. This is her 1st time of laying eggs, please help.

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:28:32  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi jessica, Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear that you have joined us at such a difficult time but you have come to the right place. Ideally, your female should have been over 3 years of age, 3 ft in length and 300g before she was bred from but what's done is done and now we can try to help you to help your snake. I'm sorry but I really don't know much about breeding as I am quite new to snake keeping myself. I will however ask some questions that I know others will need the answers to in order to help you.
How long and heavy is she roughly?
What is your set up like? Size of viv, heating, temps, hides etc.
What have you provided for her to lay in?
Is she sharing a viv with your males?

I'm pretty sure she probably won't want to eat while she is laying but I could be wrong and am open to people correcting me. I would also say that if she is sharing with your males then it would probably be better to separate them altho I don't know the technicalitlies of doing this without distressing her any more. Maybe take the males out. I apologise if they are not sharing and this advice is useless.

I hope someone will be along shortly to help. I wish you lots of luck and will be thinking of you both

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:42:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you are cohabbiting you need to take the male out ASAP.

This is why it is so dangerous to co habit, too many people do so without thoroughly researching the pros and cons. It could be that the reason she werent't eating is because she was stressed and the male was dominating her.

All you can do now is remove the male, make her as comfortable as possible and hope she lays the eggs without complications.

The answers to the questions kdlang has asked would be very helpfull.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

Thanks gfor coming back to me you are great help, I have just bought a new viv for them with new setup I do still have the old tank should I put her back in the old tank and leave the male in the new tank. She is only 2 I was told they were too young to be prob for sexing so I did not know what sex the were now I do but too late.
I have bought a incubator for the eggs wow spent nearly £300 alltogether for them I hope it was all for nothing.
I am worried about her weigh when I pick her up there is nothing to her cant even feel I have her with me. Now thinking the new viv may be too big for her, she is curled up in a corner not looked around yet but been pregnant I dont blame her.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has she laid any more since?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long and heavy is she roughly?
What is your set up like? Size of viv, heating, temps, hides etc.
What have you provided for her to lay in?
Is she sharing a viv with your males?

Hi to answer your questions, she is about 2ft not heavy at all.
I have a new set up from the reptire store they did it for me, the old 1 was heat mat and light at 1 end water at other cold end, fake gress and leaves bark and tub to hide in.
The 1st lot of eggs I didnt know she was pregnant untill i sawe the eggs so nothing there to lay in, now I have set her a tub with the incubator (moisture stuff) with a whle in the top for her to get in and out.
and yes there is 1 male with her they grew up together I was never told that co hab was bad I bought them together.
I do have a box like a lunch box to feed her in ive been told to take her out to be fed and leave the male in I have also been feeding them twice a week, the female doesnt eat much but the male always eats and what she doesnt he will, then they are put baeck together (this is what I was told to do) am I doing this all wrong?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by hillzi

Has she laid any more since?

Not yet no but I can see in her there maybe another 4 there if not more.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:46:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You don't need a light unless you want to see them. Don't keep them together again trust me your female will thank you for it. When she finishes laying her eggs then she will probably eat so just keep trying to offer her small meals afterwards and then try and build her weight back up slowly from there. They only need to be fed once a week after they are one years old and after 3 years they normally get fed every 2 weeks I think.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh eek.....

I'm afraid most of it is wrong, and this is where research is essential. Nothing we can do about that though, is there?

2 foot is too small for breeding, and by the sounds of it she is not fit for producing eggs. You will just have to hope that she makes it through. Adding Reptoboost to her water will help to keep her strength up. Leave the water bowl by the laying box for her to reach easily.

Keep her viv warm, dark and quiet to minimise stress. Take the male away and set him up in an RUB with his own mat and stat. Yes it will cost money but he needs to be taken away anyway. When stressed, the females can hold onto their eggs, and become eggbound. Eggbinding can be fatal (as I found out 2 months ago) and can also be caused by an unfit snake.

Pics of her would help us judge if she needs some veterinary help, but this also causes stress if it can be avoided. Good luck.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:58:35  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you not know what her actual weight is? even a guess would be better than not heavy at all. At 2 foot long she is very small.

I do hope she pulls through and i hope that you have learned from your mistakes. It is vital that you do your research before going out and purchasing a snake. It may sound silly but pet shops often give wrong advice.

Do you have a thermometers and thermostats in your set ups?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what I have been told and what has been done with the set is wrong OMG I feel so awful for her now, The setup was done by the reptile shop and I was told they can live together, I tookthe felmale down 4 times now but he said she is ok just fussy eater, I knew in my heart something was wrong hence why I'm seeking help here.
I will try get some pics on here soon for you to see and judge for your self, I have been told i worry too much over nothing but I just want whats right for them.
I also got told to keep the heat light on in the day and off at night, so is that wrong too they just need to heat mat?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Do you not know what her actual weight is? even a guess would be better than not heavy at all. At 2 foot long she is very small.

I do hope she pulls through and i hope that you have learned from your mistakes. It is vital that you do your research before going out and purchasing a snake. It may sound silly but pet shops often give wrong advice.

Do you have a thermometers and thermostats in your set ups?

Hi yes there are thermos I spet nearly £300 on all new yesterday (including the incubator) there at 81.5 now is that ok for them.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A statted heat mat on its own is fine, temp between 28-30c. Make sure it is monitored with a digital thermometer. If I were you I would head down that shop and kick up, everything they have told you is wrong.

If she survives the egg laying, taking away the male will very likely make her appetite better.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is about just lighter than your average china cup.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tep in in F it is digital at 81.5 steady (unless the doors are open) but I dont handle her now she is laying I also got told that she will lay 4 eggs yesterday, 4 today and will go on for weeks is that right?
Also I was told they have to cohabit so shall I get another female for her or will she be ok left alone?

Edited by - n/a on 03/05/2010 13:09:06
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:07:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you have both a heatmat and a heat lamp? or is it just a normal bulb?

The bulb isn't essential more for our viewing purposes than for the snake, the snake should get enough light as it is.

There are several reasons why hatchlings should be kept seperately, this is just one of the many, but certainly one of the most dangerous.
Snakes are solitary animals so in the wild would live alone and only seek company to breed and only breed to reproduce. Co-habiting can be done succesfully but when both snakes are around 3-4 years old, both are healthy weights and you know for deffinite their sexes.
Im sorry that you weren't told all this information when you bought the snakes, and it is a shame you didn't do your research before hand but we can't change that now.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 03/05/2010 13:08:10
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:08:42  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amyoli01

The tep in in F it is digital at 81.5 steady (unless the doors are open) but I dont handle her now she is laying I also got told that she will lay 4 eggs yesterday, 4 today and will go on for weeks is that right?

I believe most lay all there eggs within around 48 hours, but im not 100% sure.

The likely hood is that she will not lay many eggs as she is so small.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 03/05/2010 13:09:59
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bulb is a heat buld not a normal one, I trusted the man in the shop I had no reason to not to, he is a nice man and seemed to know what he is talking about, I just followed what he was telling me.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:18:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amyoli01

The bulb is a heat buld not a normal one, I trusted the man in the shop I had no reason to not to, he is a nice man and seemed to know what he is talking about, I just followed what he was telling me.

I know it is such a shame that many pet shops give wrong or questionsbale advice.

Id personally only use one heat source. Either one will do but make sure it is statted to the right temp. Does the bulb have a dimmer stat.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks I hope she makes it I do worry.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  13:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not sure if there is a dim timer dont think there is cant see anything on it. Can ask what is wrong with the set up as I can change it: - There is the bulb and heat mat at 1 end with bark hides and grass (all fake), at the other end is water and more bark and grass(fake) with a hide tub, they are in chippings on the floor, The tank is approx 3f by 1.5f.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000