Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  21:10:05  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Dunno if all snakes work to the same time clock but my Colin has just now started eating in earnest again. He is now back to striking and constricting and has eaten now two weeks on the trot so I think he is over his fruity stage so all of you out there that have similar males that are not eating your long wait may be coming to an end.

Incidently I dont know if it may help but I got him to eat both times by wiggling a warmed up mouse in the doorway of his hide. I simply slid a dvd cover under the doorway propped up one side of the hide a little so I could see him then plopped the mouse on the dvd cover in the doorway and wiggled it with me fingers. Its dangerous but worth it in the long run and a trick I will be using again if need be. Its made him strike and coil and put him back to the striking ferocious feeder i remember before he went all hormonal.

Good luck with all yours

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  22:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHeers for the tip steve, but my older fella still thinks females > stuart atm!

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  02:20:33  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good news!
As for the trick, better use something else to wiggle the mouse..!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  04:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad Colin is eating again....I do hate it when they dont. Unfortunately both of mine still arent and are still 'climbing the walls' of their viv !! Didnt even attempt to feed Silvesta last week but will this week. It is him I am most worried about as he doesnt really have the weight to lose, we had only just got him to a good weight....whereas Kellog definitely could do with losing a bit !

I am tempted by your idea, but have always fed mine outside of the viv and dont really want to get them out of that habit. I do wonder if you had fed him normally he may have taken the mouse anyway and it was just his time to feed? But then again, I am getting to the point of being desperate.....

There are plus sides to this time, the amount of handling time you get as there are no 48hr wairs after eating and seeing your corn so active in their vivs instead of hiding away - have hopefully got some great pics of my 2 wrapped around their branches and sliding up their glass doors.

But at least Colin has eaten....their is hope for my 2 yet !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:55:06  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear bout your two Judith. Colin is still very active too although I have noticed a significant slow down this last two weeks or so. He did suprise me by taking a feed about six weeks ago and I was like woohoo finally but then the following week he blanked me again. Then about a week after that he went pale and he never eats during shed so i left him too it then when he had shed I thought he would be hungry but he ignored me yet again. It was only last week I noticed he had slowed down a bit and came up with the idea of hide wiggling lol. Snakes in the wild are opportunistic feeders and I am sure if a mouse wandered into their lair they would strike by instinct. I didnt use tongs as I find it harder to impart the vibration into the prey item so I took my fingers into my own hands so to speak and took a chance. Fortuneatly I have pretty fast reactions and Colin is a good aim lol.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:02:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wish my little guy got horny :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Dont wish it Staple, although you do get to see more of them and get more handling time it does not make up for the worrying you do about them not eating and how long it will go on for and how much weight they are going to lose .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  12:13:21  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think the thing is if you know you have their set up right and that the snake is otherwise healthy then you just have to trust that the animal is not stupid and will eat eventually before it starves to death although it is worrying because it seems un-natural to us that anything can go so long without eating. Colin stopped eating on the 1st of January (his first refusal) and he didnt eat again until the 18th of March and even then it was a one off and he still kept me waiting until 22nd April (another month) before he started eating again. It is worrying and hard not to get anxious about but like I said for a healthy male snake with the raging it is totally normal you just have to sit it out and wait for them I guess.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  13:29:24  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
glad to know Collin is eating im just waiting 4 max to eat, cias i will let of as he in shed now but he started eating last week but nooooo not max to blumin stubborn lol he wants his ladys :/ (just over 3months and still waiting)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  13:48:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my boys are feeding intermittently.........though with imminent changes to their housing i'll be able to have boys and girls in separate areas of the house so hormones will hopefully have less of an impact!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  13:57:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

Dont wish it Staple, although you do get to see more of them and get more handling time it does not make up for the worrying you do about them not eating and how long it will go on for and how much weight they are going to lose .

xxx

That's exactly why I want him to be though... He's obese and I'm trying everything I can to make him loose weight and he is very very slowly but he always seems to be looking around his viv for food or something. He has never ever missed a meal or brought it up in all the years I've had him. I think he does get horny but his love for food is greater than trying to get some sexy time lol

Edit: Oh my quotes went wrong XD

Edited by - Sta~ple on 04/05/2010 15:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  04:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys would be so proud of me....I fed Silvesta yesterday and followed an example on here - I slit the stomach and HE ATE!!! I was so shocked, I really didnt expect him to, but so glad he did as he has lost another 10g. Guess I will be gritting my teeth and doing the same thing next week....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  13:28:41  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
eeewwww.. that sounds... well yuk lol but glad silvesta thought it was yummy, hopefully he will eat alot better now (with abit more luck without cuttin the mouse up)... maybe should try that with max although im not sure if i could do it and have the heart to do it...

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  13:43:05  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kellog well done you dont think i could do that though slit the stomach of the mouse not to keen on braining mouse. Can some one tell me if it is natural for corns to go back over on feeding when they have been fasting. My corn shearer took a fuzzy the day after he last shed in Feb but then fasted for 6 weeks and now is back to 1 pinkie per feed. Dont know why but i am disappinted with myself bout this and feel as though i could have done more. He lost 2grams wen he fasted putting his weight down to 24grams but last weighed before feeding last sat was upto 30 grams.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  15:57:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kellog, was this more or less messy than braining?

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  03:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, am afraid I cant answer that as I havent experienced it with mine. I know that sometimes they need reminding about how to eat and the fact that they need to eat (which, I think, is what happened with Silvesta when he was confronted with a mouse with its guts hanging out). I seem to remember being told that they almost get used to not eating - but you know my memory so dont rely on it. At least Shearer is eating and hopefully you can offer his a fuzzy again soon and he will eat. He only lost a small amount of weight considering he didnt eat for 6 weeks. He is now putting his weight back on, so just take it slow and build him back up to fuzzies like you did before.

quote:

Kellog, was this more or less messy than braining?

I would say it was more messy Sta~ple. Never did like the feeling of crushing the skull and the eyeballs popping out....but getting the knife to cut through the fur and flesh enough to expose guts and blood was gross but obviously worth it.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  18:59:47  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Judith thanks very much for explaing bout the none feeding as you say i will just build shearer back up to fuzzies then build him up from there he willmove up when he ready to i think snakes rule yeah and they will eat bigger mice wen they ready lol

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  11:34:19  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Might be an idea to slit the stomach when its frozen I would guess it would be less of a mess till it thaws out

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  14:51:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You would need a sharp knife though as they are touch when frozen x.x

I wonder if it's possible to get males castrated so they don't get horny XD

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  13:16:53  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just to let you all know after two feeds Colin has gone all hormonal again and refused a feed on friday so it looks like its back to square one again Sighs

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  12:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Just to let you all know after two feeds Colin has gone all hormonal again and refused a feed on friday so it looks like its back to square one again Sighs

Sorry to hear that....but not surprised. Due to feed Silvesta later today so trying to build up my confidence for slitting its gut again ....but to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt eat, he is still really active. I just hope he does, he doesnt have the weight to lose like Kellog does.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000