anoying suction cups - need an alternative
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  12:37:43  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey all, im sure most of you have suffered the same problems with weak suction cups. mine refuse to stay in place and plants fall within minutes of mounting them. That's without mystery roaming all over them. any ideas on how to get them to stay, replacements/ alternative methods. Not very keen on tapes etc

ari

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  12:44:18  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I had my plants hanging from the back of the viv i used those bread ties to attach them to the back of the viv by poking the ends through the vent at the top and twisting them tight on the outside. That did the job really well but to be honest I recently took them all down and drapped them over the branches I have in Colins viv to form a canopy from one side to the other. Looks really nice and gives him cover.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  13:00:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At the minute i just have my hanging plants draped over vines but i found that the suction cups weren't very good.

What ever you do don't resort to using tapes or anything that the snake could get stuck to or tangled up in. You could try staples but you would have to make sure they were in good and weren't going to fall out if your snake climbed on them.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  13:15:41  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use plastic coated screw hooks

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  13:20:52  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i probably should have mentioned i have a glass viv with a foam background in so its not strong enough to handle those kinds of pin :( shame because they could have worked. Definately not going down the tape route.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  18:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the great idea SC, we were just wondering how to hang plants in Steve's new viv.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tis ok.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  20:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
blob of sealent in the sucky bit and fix them as you would normally? have to evacuate the snake for a day though...possibly more hassle than its worth but an idea.

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  21:24:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hot glue gun :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  22:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got some suction cup hooks from the range for a quid for 2.
They're in the iguana viv and holding up the plants happily even with the iguana jumping about.

The other option is magnets that they have on the end of supermarket checkouts, they have small hooks on them and are incredibly powerful, all you need is a small bit of fabric to go underneath and they'll hold incredibly well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  22:15:40  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
magnets sound interesting.. ill have to check those out
Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  12:01:00  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to resurrect this one but I had exactly the same problem this week setting up my new Vivarium. Almost by accident I worked out I could use exo-terra jungle vines http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/jungle_vines.php I looped them up into the top of the vivarium and hung the hanging plants from them. Seems to work although I've yet to see how snake proof they are when it comes to staying put. They seem quite sturdy.

Greg

Edited by - gregDT on 17/06/2010 12:01:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000