heat mat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  21:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I have a thin layer of Aspen on the heat mat but have just noticed that while sfa is moving around he is shifting the Aspen and coming into contact with the heat mat, will this hurt him or is it safe???
steve

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  21:20:36  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No if the mat is controlled by a correctly set thermostat.

Do you have a stat?

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 21/04/2010 21:20:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  21:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I have a stat thanks for that was a little concerned
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  21:47:19  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok but have you got it set up correctly? Even with a stat it is possible for the heat mat to get very hot. THe probe for the stat needs to be in direct contact with the surface of the mat laying flat for it to work properly. It is advisable if you have a digital thermometer to attach the probes for the stat and thermometer together using rubber bands and have them both laying flat on the surface of the mat. That way you can tell exactly what temp the mat is putting out and keep it below 30c and so not harmful to snake. Word of warning make sure you weigh the probes down with something heavy to stop snake from moving them.

Hope that helps

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  23:04:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aslong as it is statted and you monitor the temps with a digital therm he'll be ok.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  09:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must echo what has been said here....especially the bit about weighing the probe down and making sure the stat is monitored using a digital thermometer.

I have both and my snake, Silvesta, has managed to push the probe up so it is pointing sky-high. This meant that the heatmat continued to heat up and if I hadnt had the digital thermometer I wouldnt have realised it. Luckily I saw that it was showing 30oC and immediately investigated and found out the reason for the high temp. Both probes for the stat and thermometer are now weighed down with a rock and surrounded with stones (as his warm end hide is not a heavy one)....but I always check is as he still sometimes manages to move the stones around and dislodge the probes.

If I hadnt had a digital thermometer I would have had no idea that the heatmat had got so hot - so it really is a necessity.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000