Regurge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Hi all and thanks for looking. I fed Xena her first Fuzz tonight and despite it only being about ten percent bigger than the large pinkies she was on she regurged it. She had got it as far as all in apart from the back legs and tail but must have decided at the last minute it was too big and spat it out again. As it hadnt even passed her throat do I need to wait the ten days before offering again? Obviously I will go back to pinkies maybe even smalls for a couple of feeds. Shame, i thought she was big enough even my rep dealer said she should be okay but Xena had other ideas. She seems fine otherwise.
As always your comments most welcome

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  22:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id give her 5 days or so and then give her a smaller meal, my king has done the same when iv offered something too big (i didnt label my medium and small mice so poor boy ended up being fed the wrong ones!)
will your shop give you some smaller fuzzies from their fuzzy batch? i used to ask for smaller fuzzies when moving my lot up

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  03:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Steve, I am so sorry for Xena and you - having to watch that must have been horrible .

HannahB has obviously got the experience of going through it before so her advice is the best to follow.

I am assuming she would feed every 5 days normally? Feed her again on what she is used to for a few more feeds and then try her on fuzzies again....having selected the smallest fuzzies you can - as HannahB said, hopefully your supplier will let you pick them over and you can choose which ones you get. I also hope that he lets you return the fuzzies you have bought and exchange them for pinkies, but if not then they will last fine in the freezer until she is ready for them.

With her history I guess it is not surprising that she is wary about a change in prey....she had such a bad start and maybe has some memory of that. It is good to know that they will regurge a meal that is too big for them, without it doing them any noticeable damage.

I do hope she is ok, please let us know how she is getting on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  10:21:59  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks ladies. To be fair it is my fault I should have listened to my inner instincts and kept to what I know works for now. Any other snake and I prob would have been alright. I will put her back on smalls and gradually work her back up to large pinkies and shelve the fuzzy situation for another few months until she is a lot bigger. I thought she would be alright as she got it down (took a long time mind) but then at the last minute regurged it. As you say Kellog at least you know they will regurge a meal that is too big before any harm is done so that at least is a good thing.

Cheers

Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  11:27:39  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

id give her 5 days or so and then give her a smaller meal, my king has done the same when iv offered something too big (i didnt label my medium and small mice so poor boy ended up being fed the wrong ones!)
will your shop give you some smaller fuzzies from their fuzzy batch? i used to ask for smaller fuzzies when moving my lot up

I thought it was the smallest fuzzy they had. When I looked at it it didnt seem much bigger than the large pinkys she has been on. Obviously the large pinky is maxing her out at the moment. I have checked her this morning and she seems to be fine so hopefully it was just a case of too big too soon I just hope this hasnt put her off feeding as in her case that will be a disaster. I did also notice yesterday that she looks a little bit paler than normal and judging by her records she is due to go into shed at any minute so it may be a case of her skin is feeling a bit tighter than normal which could of been the reason she thought better not and spat it out.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 11/04/2010 11:35:34
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  12:54:22  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Just thought i would let you know it was just a case of too big too soon and following a shed on friday I fed her again on saturday and she is fine. She took and kept down a large pinky and so far (touch wood) no regurge. Incidently her shed measure 21" so to my reckoning that makes her a shade under 19" long now which means since I have had her she has grown by six inches!!!

Cheers
Steve

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  14:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad shes growing nicely for you
wont be long til shes hitting the 2ft mark..and then the 3ft

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  15:55:18  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great news that she is growing so well. I don't suppose you see such a great difference when you are with her all the time. I think i means that some new photos are in order. Maybe some to compare her size when you got her to what she is now.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  19:12:03  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This one was taken 12 days before i got her

This one I took about 2-3 weeks after we got her

And these two were taken tonight

and

you can see from these latest ones how long she is as she is on two pieces of kitchen towel.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  19:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, she really has grown, nice to have photos of before and after. she has also got some width on her as well.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  19:36:21  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I think she is playing catch up as she is actually a year old now but didnt eat for the first seven months of her life so she should be quite a bit bigger but alas I love her for what she is not how big she is. I just keep thinking to myself that for a snake that was at deaths door i think she has made a come back that makes her worthy of her name. Some dont make it. I guess I got lucky.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  04:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am so glad to hear that Xena has kept her latest feed down, was wondering how she was getting on. And the news on her growth is amazing - she really is making up for lost time.

I just keep thinking how blessed she is to have come to you instead of being left to die.....you fought for her and now you are seeing the results, and she is so beautiful !

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000