Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  13:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the advice.i miss unerstood the mat thing, i was thinking the smaller the mat the lower the temp it would heat too. i have now sent off for a stat so hopefully it wont take to long to arrive...allthough i got a book on keeping cornsnakes and looked it up on the net, the heating part was very confusing and as i,ve never had a pet with heat reqiaments before ( unless u include my tropical fish )i was not picking up the importance of a stat, but now i do, wish i,d foud this forum before it would of saved me money and worrie. mind ou i can save the other mats for my bigger wooden viv in the future...which reminds me of another thing to ask. the viv my corns is only 18x18 inch, the girl in pet shop told us it would do for a good couple of years, but now i,m not to sure if this is right either at what age did you all put ur corns in a bigger viv!!!! :)

bold
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  16:23:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It totally depends on the size of your snake to how big of a viv/faun you put him in. In an 18x18 inch viv i would expect your snake to be anywhere between 18inches and 3foot long.

If your snake is still fairly small make sure you pack it out with plenty of cover for them.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  18:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi me again, still havin trouble with my temps. i bought a mini start 100. but could,nt get the temp right it was either in the 30+ OR if i turned it down just slighty it would drop to around 22c well i got fed up costantly messin with it (how my poor corn is managing the temp swings i don,t know), any way i have just gone out and brought a thermocontrol ii and after fiddlin round with that and setting it at 28c max which it is in range my other thermo,s temp is 33c. so do u think i should just take notice of my sat or my therm, i have such a headache with these temp issues :(

bold
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  18:52:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Always take the reading off your thermometer and tweek your stat accordingly.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  03:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely agree with Danny. I had a microclimate and had same issue as you did....major temp drops once it switched itself off before it would switch itself back on, although it never got to above the 30oC. So I complained, sent it back and got a Habistat pulse, which I am so much happier with.

I always go with the thermometer reading and then fiddle with the stat to get it right....stats are not totally accurate and you cant be sure it is heating it to the heat it says it is, whereas the thermometer is the thing you can actually see a fluctuating reading on - as opposed to just a mark on a dial. (hope that makes sense, severe brain fog at moment )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  23:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys,my new stat is a digital one thats why i thought the readings would be the same as my therm, but obviously not! :)

bold
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000