Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  21:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if i put the heat mat on the floor of the tank, were is the best place to put his false stone hide, on top of the mat on the heat soures os on the cool side? all advices most wecome thanks

bold

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  21:59:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the hide has its own floor then in the cold end, if it has no floor and sits on the substrate then on the warm side.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You need a hide at both the hot and the cool end.

I would put the heaviest hide you have ontop of the heatmat to weight it down.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  22:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys

bold
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  23:28:47  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Not if the hide has its own bottom as the heat won't penetrate it properly.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  08:07:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Not if the hide has its own bottom as the heat won't penetrate it properly.

Learn something new every day! I didn't think it would effect it that much though but it makes sense that it would.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  11:47:03  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess it depends on what the hide is made out of, put its probably either like a clay which is what the exo terra ones are like, polymer or a polystyreine. All of which would stop the heat penetrating to certain extent so will not get the heat that the snake needs.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  12:38:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I guess something like a cardbox box it wouldn't really matter then specially if it is something like a shoe box.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't matter if it was a a box or something which you used as a hide, just the shop bought ones like the exoterra snake cave.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  16:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you take the temperature reading from inside the hide, and set your thermostat accoringly it doesnt matter if the hide has a bottom or not really.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  17:36:28  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

As long as you take the temperature reading from inside the hide, and set your thermostat accoringly it doesnt matter if the hide has a bottom or not really.

But then the outside of the hide would be too hot as the hide wouldn't take up the whole of the warm side.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  19:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very true, plus if the snake buried under the hide then he could get burned. so therefore you would need the stat probe under the hide but then the hide wouldn't get hot enough if it had a bottom.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  22:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

Not really a good idea, if the temp differential is 10 degrees, then the hide maybe at 30 but the mats at 40, which is less than ideal.
Always always take the temp reading from the mat itself, that way if the snake does com into contact with it (and he will) then you are safe knowing it wont be too hot.

Go to Top of Page

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  18:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry another mat question, after looking at mats on line i am now aware that they come in diffrent wattage mine is 20 watts am i best getting one with a lower wattage as is a small viv :)

bold
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  18:46:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bigger wattage normally means the heat matt is bigger. 20 watts is normally a 17 x 11. I would say buy a heatmat that will fit into a the viv that the snake will be when it's older if it is in a faun. This way you save money. If the snake is is a wooden viv then you will need to buy a heat mat that covers 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  18:53:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Like staple said, bigger watage = bigger mat. Depending on what size viv/faun you have you need a mat which will take up around 1/3 - 1/2 of the floor space.

Its easier if you try to find the size of the mat rather than the wattage.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

paula houghton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  15:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all, sorry another mat question. am still havin trouble with temps, with my first mat iwas getting readings of 38=39c so went an got a smaller mat put it on the floor of tank and it was reading 34=36c so i took it out and put it under tank, it hardly made any diffrence atall, so of i went and brought another mat even smaller and only 7 watts, yet my readings are still 30-31c would this temp still be to warm dont know what to do now and cant keep buyin mats. any advice will be gratfully accepted! :)

bold
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  16:01:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you not have a thermostat?

Thats what is used to control the temperatures. The heatmat needs to be big enough to cover 1/3 - 1/2 of the floorspce of the "tank" and then regulated by a thermostat to keep the mat at the needed temperature.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The mat size you had first would probably have been perfect no? It doesn't matter what size the mat is, they all still heat up to around the same temp.

As danny aid, you need a stat and it allows you to control the the temp and the hottest you can set it is 34

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  19:24:42  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Actually the hottest the stats go is 35 but because there not 100% accurate they can get hotter. That is why an accurate thermometer is so important.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  03:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paula houghton

hi all, sorry another mat question. am still havin trouble with temps, with my first mat iwas getting readings of 38=39c so went an got a smaller mat put it on the floor of tank and it was reading 34=36c so i took it out and put it under tank, it hardly made any diffrence atall, so of i went and brought another mat even smaller and only 7 watts, yet my readings are still 30-31c would this temp still be to warm dont know what to do now and cant keep buyin mats. any advice will be gratfully accepted! :)

You talk about a tank Paula, does this mean that your corn is in a glass/plastic faun? If so then the mat needs to be outside the tank with an airgap between it and the tank base (I am NO EXPERT with this as have only dealt with wooden vivs, but am almost sure this is right).

You need to make sure that the mat is covering one-third of the tank floorspace and is connected to a stat to control the heat of the mat (I know this has already been mentioned but it is important enough to be repeated). You need to have the probe for the stat and the probe for a digital thermometer within the tank touching the base, as this will then measure the heat coming through from the mat (again, as far as I know this is right but you could do with this being confirmed by someone who uses fauns and heatmats outside their tanks).

You dont want a temp that is higher that 30oC as it can be dangerous to your snake. If you are getting that then I would suggest you turn the mat off until you have a stat to control it. You can keep an eye on the temp (it sounds like you do have a digital thermometer) and can turn the heatmat on when the temp drop below approx 26oC....but you must switch it off again once it reaches 30oC and leave it off overnight - all the while it is unstatted it can heat up too much. If you do have a stat then I would suggest that it is malfunctioning and you need to replace it as soon as possible.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000