Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  15:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
i got my corn yesterday and just wanted to ask a few initial q's

i have got woodchip substrate and i dont know how much to put in. how much is too much so heat wont get through??

also i have a plastic viv that is fully sealed with 2 hatches on top. is it best to put the heat mat on the inside or underneath??

how often would you/have you fed a 4 month old corn??

thanks

4 month Corn - Captain Macintosh

" My Life Be Like Oooh Aaah"

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  15:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

plastic faun needs the heat mat underneath with a stat so it cant over heat, and a digital thermometer to check the temps,
you need a really thin layer of substrate in the warm end - no more than 1cm but in the cool end you can thicken it up to around half an inch,
what was your corn feeding before you got him? i remember mine were on pinkies at that age but it all depends on your snake - 1 pinkie every 5/6 days should be fine

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  15:47:21  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum first of all. in regard to your questions as you are using a plastic viv the heat mat needs to go under neath the viv mayb have something to keep the viv of the heat mat ie piece of cardboard. In the warm end of the viv u just need a small covering of substrate to allow the heat to get through. In the cool end you can use about 2-3cm of bedding to allow your snake to borrow. As regarding feeding your snake this normally goes on weight rather than age. If after feeding your snake if you are not able to see a lump inside snake you are ready to move onto the next size snake. HOpe this is of some help to you

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  16:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and thank you for the welcomes :) these forums have been very usefull up to yet so i had to join :)

my corn was on pinkies on the store but he fed them less regular as he didnt want them to grow that quick, i thought it was around 0ne every 5-7 days so thank you for clarfying that for me

thank you for all the usefull info will come in handy

4 month Corn - Captain Macintosh

" My Life Be Like Oooh Aaah"
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2010 :  16:38:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. Go to the introductions section on here and say hello. You'll get a proper welcome then.
I love the name of your snake!!
Glad you've joined us......

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  11:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya all i have viv questions 2! Ill start with my small starter viv its a glass tank style viv heat mat stuck inside or stuck on the bottom? and its got plastic feet 2 stand the tank on should i use them or not? for Zebedee we had the mat on the outside and used the feet but was that right coz i want a hatchling now his in the big viv!
right big viv what do i actually need in it??? ive got lots of stuff from the shop n after talking 2 a few of u im not sure i need most of it lol, ive got a heat mat, heat bulb on a thermosat dimmer, a uv strip bulb do i need all this?? i turn the heat light off at night so the heat mat is on all the time but answers from the real experts would be great rather than 'the man in the shop' lol and also whats the best way 2 heat if the viv is divided in 2?

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  12:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you really only need one heat source so either the mat or the light, if you decide to go with the light would suggest switching to infra red bulbs as you would have to leave it on permanantly, also make sure the light is gaurded. You dont need the uv strip light at all as there is no benefit from it for your snake.

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  12:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx for the reply yeah i thought that 2 after reading posts so just the shops way of getting more money!! seen as ive got a temp regulater on the light and its all ready an infra red bulb ill take the mat out any ideas on what 2 do with my small tank?

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  12:43:30  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sounds to me like you stumbled upon a shop that really dont know corns and saw you as an easy target to make money unfortuneatly. As gmac said you only need one heat source. Some use bulbs others use mats. I use a mat because corns like to absorb heat through their bellies rather than ambient temprature. You certainly dont need the UV. Apart from anything else the constant flickering will annoy the hell out of your snake. If you would like a light in the viv stick in a bulb holder and an energy saving bulb which is all you need really. I'd still put a bulb guard over the bulb as parts of these bulbs can get hot to the touch.
You only need a heatmat which should cover one third to one half of the floor surface of the viv. This MUST be controlled by a thermostat either on off or pulse proportional which is a bit more expensive but more accurate. Another must is digital thermometers for both ends if you can afford it or at bare minimum warm end. Attach the probes for both the thermostat and the thermometer together using rubber bands (not tape as it is dangerous to snakes) and have them laying flat in direct contact with the surface of the mat. Set the thermostat to around 28 degrees c and you are in buisness. To set the thermostat always rely on what the thermometer tells you and NOT the dial on the thermostat as these are very often inaccurate.

Hope that helps
Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  13:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanx very much im currently using Microclimate B1 Dimmer Stat Thermostat 600W on my heat light can i use this with my heat mat instead?? or do i need 2 buy something different completly?

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  15:24:56  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure I dont think you can others who have tried may say different but personally i would get a mat stat as its made for the job

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000