sid appears to have gone off his food ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  20:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As most of you will know sid shed his skin the other day so I left him for a few days to settle before offering him a feed.
I left a mouse on a peace of kitchen towel in his viv but he's not showed any intrest in it ive also tried tempting him to strike with tonges but still no intrest.
Any suggestions why he's not feeding he's gone about 3 weeks with out a feed now so im a little concearned was thinking of getting some day old chicks to see if he will pay any intrest but dont really want to go down than road as I know that all the vits etc are in the mice and chicks should only be used as a treat
As for sid he seems active enough and we've had him out several times since he shed
thanx
nick

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  20:21:19  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is he?

Its breeding season many males go off their food.

Forget about the day old chicks though, if he won't go for a mouse he probably won't go for a chick and they have very little nutritional value to them.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  03:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Danny and some more info would be great.

Have you checked the set-up of the viv? What are the temps?

What was he feeding on before? How was he usually fed?

When you say he seems active, would you say that he seems more active than normal?

It is definitely breeding season - both Kellog and Silvesta are off their food and Kellog is constantly climbing the walls of his viv! With Kellog it has been just over a month since he has eaten (but he only eats every 2 weeks so it isnt too many feeds missed) and Silvesta has only missed 1 feed entirely, the last 1, although he did only take 1 mouse rather than 2 for a couple of feeds before that (he is being fed monthly).

It may be worthwhile reading this link to give you some ideas as to how you can tempt Sid - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

The main thing is not to panic (very easy to type but hard to do - I know), corns can go a long time without food. We just need to work out why he isnt eating, whether it is because of the time of year or for some other reason.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 12/04/2010 03:57:59
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  04:09:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From all the info I have researched on cornsnakes I suspect this may well be a case linked to the breeding season! I think concerned owners just have to wait and bide our time.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  16:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Sid has not eaten since January, it was the samw last year as well.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  17:51:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3 weeks is nothing to a snake really although it never seems like that to the owner. Just make sure he is still drinking until he eats again. If he is still lively then he's fine just looking for some ladies I'm guessing.

the only thing I can think of is mites which is unlikely as you would have seen them by now I would have thought if he's not eating and there would be many other signs.

Just keep trying and good luck.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

solid
Hatchling

United Kingdom
428 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  18:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ocelot is doing the exact same thing, he shed on saturday, went to feed yesterday and he just wasnt interested when usually he nabs it at first sight.

how long do these seasons last? i dont want to keep offering mice and wasting them if he wont eat

3.1.1 corns - solid,liquid,ocelot,fox + raiden / 0.0.1 missing MBK - raven
PS3id: adam83
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  23:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is definitely breeding season - both Kellog and Silvesta are off their food and Kellog is constantly climbing the walls of his viv! With Kellog it has been just over a month since he has eaten (but he only eats every 2 weeks so it isnt too many feeds missed) and Silvesta has only missed 1 feed entirely, the last 1, although he did only take 1 mouse rather than 2 for a couple of feeds before that (he is being fed monthly).

Sids deffo climbing the walls he's really active spending more time out of his hiding hole was speaking to my friend who has a female corn snake and she said about the breading season

quote:
How old is he?

Hes about 18 mths old we think he didnt come with much info im affraid

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  00:17:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If he is very active and atleast 18 months old i would put it down to the breeding season, won't be long before he calms down and begins feeding again.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh my casper (she) aint eatin since 19th March either its fustrating but guess she will eat when she is ready im not going to try again till the end of the week.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  04:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toggsy

quote:

Sids deffo climbing the walls he's really active spending more time out of his hiding hole was speaking to my friend who has a female corn snake and she said about the breading season

quote:

How old is he?

Hes about 18 mths old we think he didnt come with much info im affraid

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

If he is very active and atleast 18 months old i would put it down to the breeding season, won't be long before he calms down and begins feeding again.

As it seems the general opinion that this is the case then all you need to do is keep to your normal feeding schedule....offer Sid his mouse like you normally would, if he doesnt take it then leave it in the viv overnight and remove it the next morning if it is still there. Dont be tempted to offer him food more often as you are worried about him not eating. I had to do this every 5 days with Kellog, for 13 weeks....a lot of mice were binned! But then one morning he just struck and has fed well ever since - until this month when he has gone horny AGAIN!!!

At that age it shouldnt last too long before he is hungry and the breeding instinct leaves him....so just be patient and try not to worry.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000