New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazzaboobers
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  16:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to share - Sookie has had her first feed - 2 days earlier than planned but we couldnt wait! And today was the day the breeder said was her day lol -

Anyway we moved her to a tub that already had the 2 pinkies in (thinking this was the mistake we made) with minimal handling and then 5 pairs of beady eyes watched as she managed to eat 2 pinkies side by side - now we had put them apart but she moved them so they were together and then ate them together - we than panicked thinking they were 2 wide and we should have put 1 in and then the other (any thoughts on this please let me know) but she managed both - so once jaw was back to normal size and she had started moving i lifted her on the kitchen roll she had been eating on back into her little faun/box - she has now buried herself into the substrate in the warm end -

So fingers crossed all will have gone well. Sorry no piccies was just too mesmerised in watching and it happened so quick lol

Thank you for reading - just wanted to share - we have another 8 pinkies left in freezer as I bought 10 but am thinking once they have gone as she managed 2 sideways should we go for fuzzies?

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  16:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is why it is best to give one pinky at a time but it does sound like they were a little on the small side. I don't know about moving upto fuzzies yet as pinkies can vary in size quite alot for 1gram upto 4gram. By any chance did you weigh her food? is smaller foods this can give an indication of size (not so sure about in the bigger mice).

If not and you don't have any digital scales it might be worth picking some up as they come in handy as you can keep a record of your snakes weight and how much she gains and also the weight of the mouse she took.

If you have a local rep shop you could go there and have a look at how big the fuzzies are in comparison to the pinkies, just don't be too hasty in moving her up.

Did the pinkies leave a bump?

Remember not to feed anything which is bigger than 1.5x the girth of your snake, i aim for about the same girth of the widest point.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 13/04/2010 16:30:39
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  17:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the feed Kazzaboobers

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaboobers
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  17:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there thanks 4 advice - they haven't left a bump more a widdening of her middle bit slightly - will def give 1 at a time next time :-)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:10:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww congrats. Good to know that shes eating well in her new home

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  04:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad she fed well Karen....and dont worry about the 2 pinkies at once, we all make mistakes - that is how we learn (have actually commented on this in another thread where you mentioned it - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9096).

What I will say is that the size of prey a snake can take has nothing to do with the size that their jaw can stretch to - as Danny has said, it is more to do with the width of the snake and the width of the prey.

I am not surprised you forgot to take pics, it really is amazing to watch!

Dont rush her onto fuzzies....as I said in the other thread, she will grow at her own rate and she will be ready for fuzzies in her own time.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 14/04/2010 04:41:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000