What's best?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:01:01  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I picked up our new addition yesterday complete with viv etc. I am going to let my son register here and tell you all about her as she is his snake.

However, I'm a bit undecided about something. Overall, the snake has everything it needs. the set up came with heatmat, pulse thermostat, plenty of hides, bamboo cane for climbing, decorations etc. It aslo had a ceramic lamp and another couple of lamp fittings which I have taken out for now as I don't use them.

However, it is obvious that they haven't really had time for her for a while as the viv is mucky. There were quite a few old poos in there, some dried onto the side, some damp patches of substrate and it's a bit smelly. I was very undecided yesterday whether to fully clean it out which would have taken time and would also have meant different substate to what she is used to, or just clean it up the best I could and put her back in to settle.

Since she had already suffered the stress of travelling and being left in the rub while I sorted out taking out lamps, covering holes, taking the legs off etc, I decided to just do a good spot check and let her settle and then let her have a feed before I mess her about anymore.

Have I done the right thing or should I take her out again and give it a thorough clean? Also it's gonna take a while to get it cleaned up and dried out. What's the best thing to do with Izzy while I do it? She is about 3 1/2 ft and pretty chunky.

Sorry for rabbling.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  11:06:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think i would have probably done a full clean yesterday whilst she was out of the viv and hadn't been returned, but doing it now will stress her further.
So i would leave her for a couple of weeks untill she has settled a little and then do it, untill then just regular spot checks.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  12:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think giving it a spot clean was a good idea and will probably have made the transition easier for her. I'm no expert but perhaps when you've left her for a week (no touching, only changing water etc) and you take her out for a feed perhaps then would be a good time to give the viv. a good scrub whilst she is preoccupied in the rub.

If you're worried it's going to take a long while then put her in the rub with some places to hide, perhaps just lots of layers of kitchen roll, and then feed her right at the end when the viv. is nearly dry so she can go straight back in when she's finnished up. This is what I do with spaghetti when her tank gets really messy. Also putting her in her little feed box for a while before she is fed gets her in 'food mode' and she seems to eat better now.

Anyway, I hope this made sense - I think you did the right thing to help the snakey with her move, and I'm sure she's going to be delighted with her new family and clean home!

zan x
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  17:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I would've done a full clean, but there's pros and cons for both so you've made a good choice too.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:13:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Full clean. I would rather have a stressed snake than a snake being ill beacuse of muck.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  04:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has been done has been done and Izzy is now in her viv and in her settling in week. I think, personally, that Danny has given you the best advice....spot clean as usual for the first week and then leave her in the viv as it is for a few more weeks until you are happy that she is feeding well and settled. If you are worried about damp/smelly substrate you can just take out more of a handful than you would when you spot clean and replace it with new clean substrate....that way she slowly gets used to the new stuff mixed in with her old before you do a full change.

The problem with doing the full clean when you first feed her, as Zandefloss has suggested, is that she may well be stressed when she is then returned to a viv that does not smell like her own one, and that is the last thing you want straight after a feed.

I know that Kellog and Silvesta's vivs had dried poo smears in their vivs when we got them and I waited until I was sure they were both well settled in before I disturbed them with a full clean. The smell is probably down to the damp substrate and hopefully that will be dealt with slowly by you changing handfuls of it when you spot clean.

It will take a while to give it a full clean and that is why I feel you need to wait until you are happy she is settled in, eating and being handled well before you do it. I put mine in a big shoe box for the time it takes, and you could add a bit of her old substrate and a hide to make her feel more secure.

Never apologise for rambling (I do it often enough )! I am just sorry I cant be of more help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  09:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have cleaned the whole thing, put there are pros and cons of doing it each way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000