Venting some steam ;)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  12:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, im really ****ed off, so im sorry about the spelling that seems to be horroble when i get upset...

So, the goverment decided to change the rules about permits to hold snakes in homes in the town i live in (each town now gets to use their own ideas about what is suitable it seems).

My old permit sid I could keep as many snakes as i could provide cages large enough for their spieces and in my case that was about 55 grown corns (for some reason there are no regulations about the newborns and it would be possible to keep them in a container of any size as long as the snake cant escape but thats another issue im trying to get them to set up some rules for).

However... now some clever politician dicided that a max number of pets in a home was needed and for snakes under 150cm it is now 35 no matter how big your home is and how much space you can give your snakes.

I was way over 35 so i had to do something fast as the punishment for breaking these rules are about 250 euro/snake over the limit and they can fine you that amount each month.
I already sold a couple of my loved corns but i still need to find new homes for 3 more snakes (feels like the poisonous ones and the tree python is the loosers as i cant give up more corns) along with 12 cages that i wont have any use for.

Sorry for ranting but i had to let it out somewhere ..lol

/punts chair

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Cornsnake babies: OMGHI! im not even gonna try to keep up ;)

Others:
1.2 Great plains ratsnake (E.emoryi)

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

2.1 Chihuauha mountain kingsnake (L.p.knoblochi)

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  13:26:56  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's terrible..
Luckily here in Greece there are no such rules because it's not normal to have snakes as pets!
I only have one corn and i understand how you feel..
Think that it could be worse..
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there nothing inplace for people who had more BEFORE they changed the rules/regulations.
The reason that you are now over the limit is because of them, so surely they shouldn't be able to punish you for it. Have you got any form of citizens advice/MP that you could speak to so that you could at least make sure you don't get fined.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  21:44:52  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, that sucks. What a shame

Btw, do you really have an Atheris hispida pair? Those snakes are unbelieveable! Do you have any photos?

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  03:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Polcher, I am so sorry....and vent away as much as you like - that is what the forum is here for! No apologies for the spelling is necessary as I can understand totally why you are so upset and not thinking straight!!

It is so infuriating when people who know nothing about something make a ruling that is not based on fact or knowledge or even care about what it is they are ruling on .

Kehhlyr makes a good point, sometimes over here when there is a new law brought in it excludes anything/anyone who would be breaking the rule if they were already in that situation before the rule was made (if that makes any sense at all ). Maybe it is worthwhile looking in to that and if it is not the case then appealing against it???

Also, surely there must be a period of grace where you can be given the time to find homes for the snakes you have to get rid of? Surely they wont start punishing you immediately for having too many snakes, especially if they know you are attempting to find them good homes?

Knowing how many snakes you have and that you have them cos you care about them, I can only just begin to imagine how this must be tearing you apart....having to choose which snakes must go and making sure they go to the right homes....

Dont just let this go Polcher - try and fight it, especially as it is such a ludicrous ruling when there are other rules that need changing - like the one you mention.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the support guys :)

I did manage to convice them to give me some time to find new homes for the snakes (to june 1st) so i think ill manage that.
There is also another way around this, but im looking into if it would work in the long run... It seems that every person in the household can get a permit and they will stack. If thats possible, ill have the wife fill out an application and i could get to keep all my snakes.
Swedish politics is terrible when it comes to making sence and beeing smooth :(

Ill try to get some nice pics of the atheris before i sell them.

/crossing fingers

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Others:

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:22:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow they are horrible and increadibly stupid. Did they not think that people that have a lot of snake that can't find homes for them in that time would just realse them into the wild if there was a fine?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:23:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry to hear about this. Seems madness when there are other rules regarding the actual welfare of the snakes, ie. the housing of hatclings that you mentioned, that needs looking into first. I really hope you manage to work round it by your wife having a permit too. You have a great set-up at your place and it is such a shame that you are having to go through this.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  09:58:50  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope it all works out for you

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought i would post an update on this.

Im now a registred snake breeder! A friends first reaction was "this cant be a good thing, now you are going to flood the house with snakes". ...and yes i will ;)
It will cost me about 20 euro/year to keep that status and i agreed to having my snakes and cages inspected at any time by a vet. whenever the local politicians feels like they want to check up on me. Im not very worried as i have always used larger enclosures then needed, im a cleaning nut and i have a decent relation with the local vet. as im married to her ;)
Doing this takes away the limit completely so i managed to buy back most of the snakes i had to sell earlier (yay!).

Im looking forward to fill up the empty cages again.

/Magnus

Corns:

Others:

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats great news
glad you managed to find a way to keep them all!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:55:54  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats good news, congrats mate.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news, glad this has a happy ending for you!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got your Snakes back Polcher

But I cant help feeling that it is a Government ploy to force you into a situation where you have to buy a breeder license to carry on keeping the amount of Snakes even if you don't intend to breed.

Stinks if you ask me
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:58:37  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats fabulous news Polcher. Such a relief that you are able to keep all your snakes even if you do have to pay for the priviledge. I guess 20 euros is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that you can have as many snakes as you like

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:07:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's fantastic news!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so relieved Polcher, I was wondering what was going on and how many snakes you had got rid of. I am just sorry that you have already passed some of your snakes on before you managed to do this - although I guess it does give you empty vivs to fill and I assume you were keeping your favourites and got rid of those you didnt feel the need to keep first.

In a way I actually think it is a good idea, I like the fact that it is regulated and checked up on....even though it is costing you money. I just think of the number of animals suffering because they arent being checked on and I would be very happy to have someone come and look at mine and say what they thought if I knew that they would then be able to stop other people from keeping/breeding in bad environments.

Being married to the local vet must certainly help with your vet bills and will definitely help in these circumstances !

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000