New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks, after several weeks, we are now happy Bella's mites are finally gone and want to switch back to using Aspen again. Although I don't think it was the Aspen that had the mites, but rather we think she had them when we got her (most likely), I want to be careful, so after a second thorough cleaning of her fake plant/faunarium/water bowl etc etc... I decided to cook the Aspen before we put it in her faun. Well, I think I blasted it as it's gone slightly brown :/ Will this be ok? It doesn't smell now its cooled down but just wondered what folks thought? My bro said I cooked it too high temp (probably true, i'm a terrible cook lol) as he has cooked his Aspen and it didn't happen to him.

Anyway cheers all and I will get more photos on of her as previously promised as soon as I find my bloomin usb adapter for my camera phone :( lol

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:47:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is extremely rare that bedding will have mites on as it comes from a factory which is totally none related too snakes. I wouldn't bother baking any substrate unless i had to in order to dry it out.

As for wether you should use it, i wouldn't have thought it would be a problem.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  17:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Danny, I didn't think it would have been the Aspen but thought it couldn't harm (apart from me probably burning the house down after being left in charge of an oven lol) and yeah, it's not disintegrating or smelling or anything now, it's just a different colour. Thanks for putting my mind at ease though!

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  19:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

Hi folks, after several weeks, we are now happy Bella's mites are finally gone and want to switch back to using Aspen again. Although I don't think it was the Aspen that had the mites, but rather we think she had them when we got her (most likely), I want to be careful, so after a second thorough cleaning of her fake plant/faunarium/water bowl etc etc... I decided to cook the Aspen before we put it in her faun. Well, I think I blasted it as it's gone slightly brown :/ Will this be ok? It doesn't smell now its cooled down but just wondered what folks thought? My bro said I cooked it too high temp (probably true, i'm a terrible cook lol) as he has cooked his Aspen and it didn't happen to him.

Anyway cheers all and I will get more photos on of her as previously promised as soon as I find my bloomin usb adapter for my camera phone :( lol

I ALWAYS cook my aspen- but then I am a bit neurotic!

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  20:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like you've just given it a light toasting. can't imagine it doing any harm. if you do it again go for a lower heat for long :)

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  08:56:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you sure your snake had snake mites and that the Aspen didn't just contain bugs that are harmless to snakes? I would post the link that shows the difference but my computer won't have it.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 06/04/2010 08:59:52
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:58:39  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Are you sure your snake had snake mites and that the Aspen didn't just contain bugs that are harmless to snakes? I would post the link that shows the difference but my computer won't have it.

The aspen shouldn't really contain any noticeable bugs, harmless or otherwise.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  17:32:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

It shouldn't but it can and does happen.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  17:39:10  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

It shouldn't but it can and does happen.

Very very rarely

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  22:16:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd place a bet though tough that most people that think their snake has snake mites actually don't and that they are aspen bugs.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  22:48:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd place a bet though tough that most people that think their snake has snake mites actually don't and that they are aspen bugs.

It probably happens but i wouldn't have said that in most cases of "mites" it is infact "Aspen Bugs"

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  00:16:29  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know this reli isnt much 2 do with mites bt i got some aspen from ma local rep shop not so long ago n i found a locust in it... i didnt realise it was in there untill i saw it plodding about in the viv and max was stalking it :/

but i did have to get some cos i saw some wierd bug type things in his viv... no idea what they were but they have disapered now as i changed the aspen but i duno weva they were harmless or not but they wernt on max or anything i just disinfected his viv n it seemed to have gone... but just wondering that they might of come from the aspen.... but i duno

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  01:14:32  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I take it you got the aspen from a rep shop since it is likely that is where the locust escaped from. Probably in a Beardies or skinks tank, or something similar.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  10:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yay my computer decided to not play dumb finally!
Scroll down for pictures and there are some other's on the next page, they are truely amazing pictures. I think these little aspen buggies can also be fund in any wood substrate. Seems like substrate mites are more likely than snake mites in most cases, snake mites will crawl all over your snake in no time while substrate buggies won't. Although if I saw any kind if bug in my snakes viv I would panic and de-mite them just to be on the safe side.

Edit: NOOO still won't have it T.T click the first link at the top to see what I mean.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=aspen+mites&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Edited by - Sta~ple on 07/04/2010 10:34:43
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  12:15:55  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah did get it from a rep shop at the time lol... there aspen is kept in a open type bin thing... i won't even ask lol... bt anyway i let it go 2 the wildlife lol after savin it from max lol :D
but when i found it i was a lil shocked lol haha :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  12:58:36  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

yeah did get it from a rep shop at the time lol... there aspen is kept in a open type bin thing... i won't even ask lol... bt anyway i let it go 2 the wildlife lol after savin it from max lol :D
but when i found it i was a lil shocked lol haha :D

Yup probably escapee food for one on the lizards. Poor Locust thought it was finally free and then gets put in with a snake hehe, got there in the end though.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  04:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staple - I would assume you couldnt put up the link directly as it is a link to 'the dark side' ....something that just isnt allowed on this forum .

Having had an outbreak of mites (following Kellog being 'kenneled' while we were away - and yes I did let them know about it, and no they supposedly had no other outbreaks so couldnt understand how it could have come from them!) I think it must be fairly easy to work out if it is mites or not.

Firstly the main outbreak is on the snake, and the immediate thing you do after treating the snake is get it onto kitchen roll. Once it is on there not only can you see the black spots of the mites on it, but also the red spots of blood from the snake - therefore proving that it is mites.

I would certainly rather be safe than sorry and treat it as mites rather than wait and see what happens in case it is just these 'bedding bugs'.

I wonder if anything has been found in Aubiouse and Hemcore.

xxx

(Fal - my only concern about your 'overcooked' aspen would be whether it had become crispy and therefore crumbly, so might cause more dust than 'normal' aspen....just a thought.)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:26:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes eactly Kellog :o I thought my computer was the silleh one. Why isn't it allowed?

There probably is an equilevent with Aubois and Hempcore to the bed bugs but I would have thought that there is probably next to no chance with the bug repel Hempcore has in it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  10:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

(Fal - my only concern about your 'overcooked' aspen would be whether it had become crispy and therefore crumbly, so might cause more dust than 'normal' aspen....just a thought.)

I give mine a good shake out in the garage or outside

xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for all the replies folks. She definately had mites as they were all over her, but we think she had them when we bought her, or eggs at least - as my brothers king snake had them at the same time and we both bought our snakes from the same place on the same day. It's been about eight weeks'ish since she had them and she had been on paper towels since then and had been given oil baths etc... all advice from this forum :) so it was only after a few weeks of seeing none and changing her paper/card palace of a faunarium every day that we decided to go back to the aspen etc.. I just cooked it because of everything poor Bells went through and us, and although had read it was v.rare to get anything in Aspen, we were better on the safe side and you know what... the cooked Aspen looks awesome!! LOL It looks so much like a forest floor, but I had worried about your point Kellog and so got the darker bits and tried to crumble them between my fingers, they were fine however and so I am tempted to do the same in future as it looks great and IF there were any lil critters in the stuff, there won't be now after my cooking skills rofl

I'll try get photos up of what the faun looks like with the cooked aspen, but bear with me because I still can't find my usb connector for my camera phone :(

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  04:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes eactly Kellog :o I thought my computer was the silleh one. Why isn't it allowed?

These are some quotes from a previous thread which will hopefully explain why 'The Dark Side ' is 'The Dark Side '.......

quote:
Originally posted by scarlettdecourcier

Have just discovered that typing in 'R - F - U - K' autochanges to The Dark Side. Amusing. Forum rivalry? lol

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

It's not really forum rivalry. We only have that because they completely blocked our site names from being mentioned, they get completely starred out as if they were terrible swear words.

In other words, they see us as competition and therefore have 'banned' the use of our name....so we have done something similar !

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 09/04/2010 04:40:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000