Up Date
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  00:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news on the corn snake had her first shed at the end of march she been more active now she been eating a big mouse once a week not like the small ones she was getting before I got her she seems happy in her new home with more room to go around but still can’t pick her up but she not as aggressive as she was so am getting there slowly she come to the front of her viv to look around when I there or changing the water
but still in the striking position hoping by the end of this month be picking her up
Darren

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  01:19:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Slow and steady wins the race mate. Although i have to admit sometimes it is best to just bite the bullet and get in there. Let her strike you and show your not scared by it, don't back off and scoop her up. Handle her for a couple of minutes and then put her back.

Much more likely to work than leaving her to get on with it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad shes starting to settle down for you
like danny said bite the bullet and just pick her up.. we do that with Zero and this morning when we handled him and got the retained shed off his tail he was good as gold and didnt hiss, strike or rattle

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:16:42  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

glad shes starting to settle down for you
like danny said bite the bullet and just pick her up.. we do that with Zero and this morning when we handled him and got the retained shed off his tail he was good as gold and didnt hiss, strike or rattle

That was the method i used with casper, she certainly calmed down a lot quicker with me just ignoring her strikes and hisses and picking her up than what she did in her 9 days of no handling when i got her. Although i have to say she is as good as gold now when i pick her up and get her out but when my mum tries to get her out she hisses hehe.

You will probably find that once she is out of her home she will calm down quite quickly.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 05/04/2010 14:17:26
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to reply so late Darren, been struggling to keep up with everything at the moment.

Am so glad that she shed ok and hs also moved up to eating a big mouse once a week - she is obviously growing well.

Both Danny and HannahB are right, you really do need to get in there and get her out and start handling her, no matter what her reaction is to you. It is the only way she is going to learn that you are not a threat or something to be scared of. Unfortunately it is not something that you can just wait to happen naturally.

You probably know all this, but it is worth repeating....

When I go to handle my snakes I go in slowly, and I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm. It also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

When you do pick her up try not to come at her from above, but rather scoop her up from the sides....that will scare her less. When you do this just be very calm and confident, using both hands and being careful to support her so she isnt dangling. Hold her firmly and gently as she WILL try to escape from your grip - but that is a natural reaction for her and you must not react to it but continue as you are. Hold her fairly firmly but gently to bring her out of the viv. Once you have her out sit with her (covering your lap with a towel is a good idea in case she decides to poo on you) and just let her run through your hands, moving one to the other to the other and so on. She will seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both she and you have to get used to. You must just be very calm and steady with your movements.

She will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make her more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and she will respond positively to that. Her reaction when you go to pick her up will be a fear response...but that will lessen with time.

It really is a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will she trust you. But it is so worth it, you dont want a snake just to look at, but one that you can handle and enjoy.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000