New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  20:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good times: Shylah has shed for the first time since 14/10/09, his third ever shed. It was perfect (now bagged up to take to work to show the kids how small the corns used to be. (Oh and we have had our offer accepted Judith)

Bad times: After getting him eating again his weight went back up to 15g, but after weighing him tonight it's dropped back down to 11g. He feels so fragile and skinny compared to the other 2. Feeding day tomorrow, would you feed him one or two normal sized pinkies or try and get hold of a couple of day olds?

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  20:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congrats on the clean shed
what was he feeding on before? personally id go with a slightly smaller meal than what he had before the shed, you dont want to rush him into eating too much too fast

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  21:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was on two small pinkies, last feed was a large pinkie and then last time he didn't feed (but that was due to shedding)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  04:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news about Shylah, I am so pleased for him (and you ). Taking his shed in to show the kids is a great idea - I know I would love to see a small shed, only being used to 3' and 4' sheds.

(Wonderful news about the house....bet you and your OH are so pleased! Hope everything goes through smoothly. Thanks for letting me know.)

Am sorry to hear about his weight. I know most people dont weigh what they feed their snakes, but it may be worthwhile in your case. I also know that most of the forum members dont use this rough guide, but I have found it useful.

Snake (4 – 15g) = 1 Pinkie (0.5 – 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (16 – 23g) = 2 pinkies (3 – 4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days

I would think you could do with trying to get him some 3g pinkies and feed him every 5 days. He probably isnt up to taking 2 pinkies yet for a few feeds until his weight increases. This way you can make sure he is getting food down him and monitor his weight.

I know he has missed one feed and that may be enough to explain this drop in weight but I think it is certainly something that needs keeping an eye on in case there is another reason for his weight loss. Silvesta lost weight when he regurged the one meal, but soon put it back on after I fed him up slowly after it. Hopefully this will be what happens with Shylah.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  09:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I his weight had dropped off quite quickly, didn't know whether to fed him what he was feeding or what I would feed him based on his weight now. (The most he has weighed was 16g).

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  11:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that when Silvesta regurged (which I know is a bit different) I fed him 1 medium mouse for a couple of feeds, but every 5 days, rather than his normal 2 medium mice every week....just to make sure everything was ok before returning him to his normal schedule.

I would THINK (and I am no expert Nadine) that it would be best to feed him the largest pinkie you have every 5 days for a few feeds and see how his weight goes.

Wish I could give you more experienced advice .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  23:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He fed very quickly, definately with more gusto than ever before. I hope his shed has made him feel better and he continues to feed well.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  03:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really good to hear Nadine....lets hope he continues to do so. Please let us know how he is getting on .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  08:53:35  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Happy for the clean shed!
As for the weight, don't worry yet. See how is goes.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  11:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have had Silvesta refuse his 2nd mouse this morning....but then last night he suddenly started exploring the glass front of the viv and rubbing his nose at the join between the glass doors - exactly what Kellog did when he went horny. I am hoping that is the only reason and also that it doesnt go on for as long as it did with Kellog (13 weeks!!) Silvesta just doesnt have that weight to lose....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  21:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shy's still not putting on any weight, he's still 14g. Here are his weights since he started eating again (he gets weighed on feeding day, but after we got him back from the pet shop there is a gap as we fed him in his faun and were completely hands off until he had a few successful feeds and a gap where he didn't feed before his shed:
13/02/10 12g(didn't weigh him during his hands off period)
04/03/10 16g
07/03/10 14g (weighed him before feeding day to check what to order)
15/03/10 11g (Post shed, DNF once before shed)
20/03/10 14g
25/03/10 14g
30/03/10 14g

He feeds really well now, and is still in hunt mode after feeding. He's been on 2 pinks totaling around 4-5g. He tends to poo two days after a feed. Is it anything to worry about, or is he just a slow grower? Would you try him on something slightly bigger/fattier? Am I just being an over protective mum?

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  23:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's due to feed on sunday, any advice appreciated, need to get different food on sat if anything different is needed

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  04:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I could help Nadine, but it sounds to me as though he is on the right amount of food for his size....but I cant explain why he isnt putting on weight. I would think that moving him up a size in food is too much, as the 'dinners' girth would be more than 1.5 times Shylah's girth??

You are feeding him every 5 days, he is pooing (am assuming the poos look normal?) so is obviously absorbing nutrients....the only thing I can suggest is that you put a post in the Health section and try to get GP to have a look - my worry would be some type of parasites that maybe he picked up in the shop? BUT please remember that I am NO EXPERT....but I can certainly understand why you are worried and know that I would like to find an answer if I was in your shoes - am just sorry I cant help you out any more .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  04:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did have one thought about Shylah.....how active is he at the moment? I know that over the last few weeks that Silvesta was horny, despite eating a 23g mouse one week and a 24g mouse the next week (having refused the 2nd mouse offered each time), he only put on 3g and 4g during that time. It was put down to the amount of activity because he was horny and cruising around the viv all the time, rather than spending all his time in his hides like he normally does - just a thought....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  06:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't think they got "horny" unless they smelled a female nearby. Does this mean that the females go through a "heat" sort of like our four legged animals do? Do they go through the activity as you are describing?
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Did have one thought about Shylah.....how active is he at the moment? I know that over the last few weeks that Silvesta was horny, despite eating a 23g mouse one week and a 24g mouse the next week (having refused the 2nd mouse offered each time), he only put on 3g and 4g during that time. It was put down to the amount of activity because he was horny and cruising around the viv all the time, rather than spending all his time in his hides like he normally does - just a thought....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  18:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's put on a mighty 2g! Good boy Shylah!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nazzle

He's put on a mighty 2g! Good boy Shylah!

Sorry I havent replied before now Nadine, been struggling to keep up with everything. That is great that he has put on 2g....I know it might not seem much but it is 2g more than he used to weigh and shows that he is retaining some nutrition and is growing.

A positive sign ! Will look forward to his next feed and hopefully another weight gain.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000