New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 out of 4 snakies are in shed

I've never had this happen before! How does everyone else cope when the majority of you're snakes are in shed?

A serious question though.....if a tank is due to be cleaned out and it's occupant is in shed, do you clean it out or leave the snake in peace until it's shed?

1.0.0 Snow Corn

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:08:31  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Leave it be. Snakes in shed are partially blind and do not cope well with being messed with. I got the same problem too I got one in shed and the other digesting a meal. Fortuneately the 48hrs is up tonight so at least i got one i can play with lol

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:09:42  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert but my guess would be leave the cleaning until the snake has shed.
Must be difficult not being able to handle your snakes while they are in shed...I find it hard just going the 48 hours after a feed! Goodness knows how I'm going to feel when Sidney sheds ;P

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:28:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I handle and clean Venom when in shed sometimes, he doesn't seem to mind it that's why I do it but if it can be helped I try not to. With Char, no.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 03/04/2010 10:29:21
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:00:33  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just leave my snakes alone whilst in shed. No handling, No Feeding and No full cleans.

Just spot check and change water.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 03/04/2010 12:00:58
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine get cleaned whether they're in shed or not, a snakes gotta have a sweet smelling pad :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nahh..!
Let it be.
Waiting a little won't hurt!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  17:02:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

mine get cleaned whether they're in shed or not, a snakes gotta have a sweet smelling pad :D

Yes :D But sadly once mine shed they also leave a nice present..
Come to think of it, as soon as I clean them out at any time I come back an hour later and there's a nice one in the corner so when I scoop it up, it undo's all my nice cleaning work on the wood :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  19:55:11  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Alice was due to be cleaned out when he went into shed so I left it for a week. He hardly ever messes in his viv anyway so I didn't see the point in distubing him for the sake of waiting a week.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  16:13:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Now all of mine ar in shed.

Candies eyes and scales gave cleared and should shed in the next couple of days.

Casper is now in blue and should shed in around 5 days, Reggies skin has gone dusty now, will probably go blue in a couple of days.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  16:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine get done whether they are in shed or feeding, mostly I do them when I feed so kills 2 birds with 1 stone, but that then takes hours, about 8 mostly!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  03:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Mine get done whether they are in shed or feeding, mostly I do them when I feed so kills 2 birds with 1 stone, but that then takes hours, about 8 mostly!

I guess that when you have as many as you do, Mike, they have to fit into your schedule rather than you into theirs !

I dont handle or feed either of mine from the point of them going blue til they shed. Luckily Kellog never poos in his viv and Silvesta only does once, within the 48hrs after a feed, so their vivs are kept relatively clean and only require a full clean out every 6 weeks. And making that clean out a week late because of my snake being in shed makes no difference.

I do know what you mean about missing your handling time. I especially miss it with Kellog, as Silvesta is still very fast and requires a lot of hands on concentration (if that makes sense ). I always find handling Kellog therapeutic, it is so relaxing having him sliding over your body and I love it when he curls up in my hood or drapes himself around my neck....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  19:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

I guess that when you have as many as you do, Mike, they have to fit into your schedule rather than you into theirs !

[/quote]

That they do! they have no choice, however, i have never had one complain about me feeding them whilst cleaning them out, they think too much with their bellies!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  19:32:40  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

[/quote]
i have never had one complain about me feeding them whilst cleaning them out, they think too much with their bellies!
[/quote]

Oops thats what i was meant to do today, candy shed this morning so i figured whilst i was feeding him i'd clean out his tank but forgot and just watched him squeeze the life out of an already lifeless pinky... Oh well i'll clean him out in a couple of days after he's digested his meal.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  21:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Milk snake just shed there now. Just my young Snow Corn and Mexi Black to go.

All three cleared up at the same time......surely they couldn't all shed on the same night?

Completely off topic, but Liverpool just went 3-0 up against Benfica :)

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000