Is troublesome eating genetic?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  17:31:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have no idea if this is a stupid question or in the wrong section... I was just wondering. Or if it's genetic that they prefer the taste of one food to another?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  19:01:58  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im a bit of a newbie when it comes to snakes, but a lot of sources say that if you breed two bloodreds, then the offspring will be reluctant to feed and occassionally will only accept baby lizards instead of mice or rats. Somebody please correct me if im wrong about that, but ive heard it a few times from books and the internet.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  20:49:47  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As far as i know troublesome eating isn't genetic.

Josh9961, i've never heard anything about that but to be honest think the concept is absolutely ridiculous, why would breeding 1 corn snake with another corn snake cause the offspring to be fussy eaters?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  20:52:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought but then I thought maybe a preference in food. My girl won't eat mice unless they are warm and I wiggle them. She loves rats though and I don't need to do anything to make her eat so I just wondered if something like that was passed down.

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  21:01:01  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know it's ridiculous but it's just what a couple of breeders have told me.

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  00:43:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

That's what I thought but then I thought maybe a preference in food. My girl won't eat mice unless they are warm and I wiggle them. She loves rats though and I don't need to do anything to make her eat so I just wondered if something like that was passed down.

I've heard if you feed royals mice then they're quite hard to get onto rats but then they are notoriously fussy eaters anyway.

Josh, you would have to ask another breeder such as eeji or mikerichards but i have personally never heard of such a thing and don't think that a gene can cause them to be fussy eaters. I will be very shocked if it is true.

Edit - You say you have read it on the internet, would you happen to know the website where you read it?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 01/04/2010 00:48:38
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  06:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not been proven to be genetic afaik, but there are various morphs that can be more tricky to feed than others, blizzards are 1 I can think of.
Most likely problems are caused by incubating too hot, much over 28 and you start getting problems, both feeding and attitude, with deformities thrown in too.
Without years of research its gonna be hard to say that a certain morph is going to be a fussy feeder because of its morph, most are fussy just because they are!

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  19:05:08  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bloodred thing was true when it was a new morph, and was most likely caused by too much line breeding that was done to get the really solid deep red colouring.
There has since been so much outcrossing to widen the gene pool that its not a problem any more.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  19:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason i have always had more trouble getting "white" snakes to eat on a regular basis. Im thinking of snow, blizzard and powder. All the snakes i have had of those morphs has given me trouble at some point, and i cant figure out why... Now i guess im almost expecting it, so ill notice it easier on those than on another morph just coz im unintentionally waiting for it to happen :(

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Cornsnake babies: OMGHI! im not even gonna try to keep up ;)

Others:
1.2 Great plains ratsnake (E.emoryi)

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

2.1 Chihuauha mountain kingsnake (L.p.knoblochi)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  22:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its strange that blizzards are mentioned here..our Zero is a fantastic eater.. he coils like no tomorrow to the point of popping his food and i dont think he has ever refused..
and i dont think its genetic necessarily.. out of aura's clutch shes the only problem feeder that i know of..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  00:33:50  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

The bloodred thing was true when it was a new morph, and was most likely caused by too much line breeding that was done to get the really solid deep red colouring.
There has since been so much outcrossing to widen the gene pool that its not a problem any more.

Actally come to think of it Reggie takes a bit of encouragement to get him to take his food, need to wiggle it around and let him know its there, then put it down for him so he can gobble it up.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  01:04:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you think it's possible for a hatchlings to prefer rats over mice?

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Do you think it's possible for a hatchlings to prefer rats over mice?

younger hatchlings wouldn't be big enough to eat a rat, so are fed mice pinkies from when they are hatched. Wether an older corn may *preffer* rats im not so sure.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 02/04/2010 01:43:16
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As danny says, hatchlings are not big enough to go for rat pups, took mine at least 6 months before they were really big enough. My bloodred feeds very well, and so does the snow stripe! The blizzard though, hes a right fussy git! Sometimes fresh kill can get their mood going to feed!

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  10:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Eeji was kinda worried about breeding them in the future because of that but seeing as it's not a problem anymore...

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:18:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know a rat is too big for a baby just I was just wondering if maybe the smell would appeal to them more in some snakes since rats seem to be stinkier compared to mice. Or if the mother would only eat smalls lizards as a first meal then it made the hatchlings more likely to do the same.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000