New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  13:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure whether my newly acquired female (no name yet) is gravid or not (she was housed with 2 males in the store), but I'd like to breed her this year if possible. Should I keep introducing the male until it's obvious? When I do he seems interested but she doesn't. She'll just disappear into a hide.

She's showing some signs in that she likes to hide away in the nest box I've given her, and she's quite fiesty. She is still eating whenever I feed her two mice.

I have yet to upload photos, which I shall soon.

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  14:35:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When she is gravid she will go off of her food.

Her going into the nesting box, hiding away and being feisty arn't necesarily signs of her being gravid, could also indicate that she is shy, and maybe hasn't been handled much.

I would wait for a breeder to come along but i think you can keep introducing the male untill she starts to refuse feeds, then seperate them.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  15:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonw

I'm not sure whether my newly acquired female (no name yet) is gravid or not (she was housed with 2 males in the store), but I'd like to breed her this year if possible. Should I keep introducing the male until it's obvious? When I do he seems interested but she doesn't. She'll just disappear into a hide.

She's showing some signs in that she likes to hide away in the nest box I've given her, and she's quite fiesty. She is still eating whenever I feed her two mice.

I have yet to upload photos, which I shall soon.

Theres nothing to stop you introducing a male, but if she been in with two males theres a good chance.
Depends how long she been in with them.
If your not in a rush to introduce a male and want to wait to find out, you will only have to wait about 3-4 week at most before she starts going off her food which isnt long really.

1.0 butter motley, 0.1 anerythristic, 1.1 reverse okeetee, 0.1 caramel, 1.1 creamsicle, 1.0 normal, 1.0 Lavender, 0.1 Amber, 0.1 Classic stripe, 1.0 Blizzard, 0.1 Amel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Rootbeer, 0.1 Charcoal, 1.1 Nelsons Milk Snake, 0.1 Brazillian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 royal python, 0.1 boa constrictor, 1.1 ribbon snake, 0.1 ornate flying snake,0.l leopard gecko, 1.0 Central American Banded Gecko, 3.2 cats

Wish list:-tessera, amel stripe, caramel motley, candy cane, loves okeetee......
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  18:35:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if she's already gravid and you keep introducing more males then there is a chance she'll stress out and become eggbound whic can be fatal :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  18:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, I'll keep introducing Jacob who is trying to get jiggy with Littlun (also male) every time I put him back!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  18:58:08  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

if she's already gravid and you keep introducing more males then there is a chance she'll stress out and become eggbound whic can be fatal :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  19:57:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not to sound rude or to lecture you or anything but if you have just got her shouldn't you let her settle down in your home first before you start trying to breed her? If she is gravid then putting her in with males is going to stress her out and on top of that, a new home which would also stress her out. It sounds like she's pretty stressed at the moment if she's always trying to hide away and she's being feisty. I just know if it were me I would rather her settle down into a new home and see if she is gravid and once settled and she isn't gravid, then try and breed as I would hate her to be stressed.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  20:10:26  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sta~ple is bang on, your main concern should be letting her settle in, i totally forgot that you had only just got the snake. Leave her be for a week, change her water and thats about it. By then there may also be more signs of her being gravid.

How long have you been breeding snakes for? Im guessing not too long although i may be wrong, but either way it is deffinitely worth listening to eeji's advice, surely the last thing you want is to potentialy harm your snake.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 26/03/2010 20:12:03
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  13:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staple, thanks for the reply. That's fine, I don't feel lectured (well a little) but I am here to take advice. I read others' opinions and then I decide what I am going to do myself.
She's not stressed. I've had her for over 3 weeks, and she spent a week alone and unfed, then I introduced her carefully to my males, who I have had for over 10 years - and no I don't need any advice on whether to cohabit them or not, they've always been together with no problems :) She has her own viv and spends most of the time on her own, with some time each evening with the others now.

Danny, don't assume anything about people; ask. I can see you are trying to be helpful, but this is a breeding section, so if you've no direct experience of breeding, why not let the ones who have give advice? Otherwise it's just us talking about what we've read elsewhere :)

eeji, thanks. With the passage of time, I'm getting more convinced that she is not gravid, but I take your point.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  14:42:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that XD and Danny knows a lot. Even if he has never bred snakes before I would say he probably knows more about breeding them than most people who actually breed them.

I would only let her breed with only the one male. Although they might be sharing a viv nicely now I would have thought that they might get nasty towards each other over the prospect of a mate, just like humans do. Also, you'll know kinda what babies to expect :) She will also be less stressed as there will only be one male trying in out with her not two lol and less chaos in the viv with substrate, hides and water going everywhere.

As a warning, you snakes might not think it's breeding time which may sound stupid... apprently now is breeding time but my snakes think breeding time is Nov - Jan so don't be upset if they don't breed yet.

Also make sure she is at least 3ft and of certain weight. (I don't know the exact weight I'm afraid).

Apart from that, go for it.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  15:42:39  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Sorry about that XD and Danny knows a lot. Even if he has never bred snakes before I would say he probably knows more about breeding them than most people who actually breed them.

I would only let her breed with only the one male. Although they might be sharing a viv nicely now I would have thought that they might get nasty towards each other over the prospect of a mate, just like humans do. Also, you'll know kinda what babies to expect :) She will also be less stressed as there will only be one male trying in out with her not two lol and less chaos in the viv with substrate, hides and water going everywhere.

As a warning, you snakes might not think it's breeding time which may sound stupid... apprently now is breeding time but my snakes think breeding time is Nov - Jan so don't be upset if they don't breed yet.

Also make sure she is at least 3ft and of certain weight. (I don't know the exact weight I'm afraid).

Apart from that, go for it.

3 foot long 3 years old and 300 grams is the guide.

And yes sure i don't have actual breeding experience but will breed one day so try to do as much research as possible and understand it fully, i was only giving you advice and did say that you should wait for further advice from a breeder.

I weren't assuming anything, it was a guess that you hadn't been breeding for long by the way you were acting and how you were somewhat ignoring advice given to you from an experienced breeder.

And you may have been co habiting for a long time but that dosn't mean that there isn't down sides to it.

It is mainly for younger snakes that co habiting is bad but even in older snakes there are down sides to it, for instance they may well feel more stressed.

I know Polcher and breeder from sweden who is on this site once did a little experiment, he usually keeps his corns seperate but once co habited them and found that the snakes become a lot more stressed.

None the less in the wild snakes are solitary animals.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 29/03/2010 15:48:17
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  20:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny, I was telling my son (7) about a video showing the risks of cohabiting snakes, on youtube...where they had started eating themselves...in itself quite sad, but he then asked 'how far did they eat, up to their heads?' lol.

I do appreciate the risks, and I think that there is a right age to put them together, and then they are fine. Mine were together from about 1 year, when they both knew that the other was not food.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  20:35:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonw

Danny, I was telling my son (7) about a video showing the risks of cohabiting snakes, on youtube...where they had started eating themselves...in itself quite sad, but he then asked 'how far did they eat, up to their heads?' lol.

I do appreciate the risks, and I think that there is a right age to put them together, and then they are fine. Mine were together from about 1 year, when they both knew that the other was not food.

That is still risky with a male and female as the male could try to mate when the female is not ready causing not only stress but if the female does become gravid and is not big enough, may well die. So just because they are old enough to know not to eat each other dosn't mean that the risks are over.

So was the pair you were housing the same sex, and how sure of this were you?

Edit - Spell check.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 31/03/2010 20:37:33
Go to Top of Page

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  21:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how did this go from breeding to cohabiting???

simonw, we've heard it all before about cohabiting snakes, we do with our youngest and have had no problems, except twice th amount of poop to pick out the vivs!!!

as for the breeding th guys are right, best to leave her to become more used to ya and to make sure she isnt already gravid. when it all settles down im sure all th snakies will be fine and will hopefully have sum little hatchlings to see

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  21:55:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think you probably need a massive tank for co-habiting. I got told a 4ft by 1ft was fine for 2 adults snakes but it really isn't, they end up sitting ontop of each other at times. I don't know what size you would need them to be comfortable with but I imagine it's and extra foot in width, just seems easier to get another tank really specially if you have big snakes. I don't really see any risks if the snakes are old enough and they aren't starving, I've head of snakes eating themselves more often than a snake eating another snake so.

It's interesting to know that your 2 males get on well though together but I would never put one female in the same tank as 2 or more males. I have only really heard of male and female being co-habited and then separated around breeding season if they had breed within the year and female and female. I think your better off trying to breed her next year when she's more settled in. You can also build up her weight and make sure she is fully ok before breeding as she could have a disease that might only show after a few months, probably very rare but still :(

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  00:37:28  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-And-Danny

how did this go from breeding to cohabiting???

simonw, we've heard it all before about cohabiting snakes, we do with our youngest and have had no problems, except twice th amount of poop to pick out the vivs!!!

as for the breeding th guys are right, best to leave her to become more used to ya and to make sure she isnt already gravid. when it all settles down im sure all th snakies will be fine and will hopefully have sum little hatchlings to see

Are both yours male or both female? co habiting young opposite sex snakes could have devastating consequences.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  13:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snakes housed together are Jacob and Littlun, both male. They have a 36" vivexotic viv. They seem okay in it. The female has her own largish viv, which was the boy's viv before.

I shall be patient, but I see all the cute hatchlings on here.......
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  16:02:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are cute but they are not fun at all to look after sometimes. It's time consuming and stressful... Especially when they don't eat and then you have to find homes for them all. Trust me on this lol.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000