New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ben11
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  03:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am a little concerned about my snake as he hasnt shed in around 5 months(i think).. he is around a year and a half old and is still feeding ok, but recently been acting a little strange, very nervous and defensive, i thought maybe this was because he has started to shed but no joy yet.. any advice? thanks.

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  04:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you give us a bit more information Ben? How often did he used to shed? What is his weight? What is he being fed on and how often? What is your viv set-up? The more information you can give us the easier it is for the experts to give you some idea of what might be happening.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

ben11
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  09:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, he used to shed about every 2 months, i have never weighed him! he is over 2ft now.. i feed him 2 pinkies every week.. going onto fluffys very soon though i am certain he is ready.

this is my current viv, he has 2 coconut hides, log, plants and a water bowl. I have never bothered with moss, maybe this could be the solution?

http://www.thepet-shoponline.co.uk/komodo-vivarium-reptile-habitat-50x30x40cm-2749-p.asp

I am building him a bigger one soon.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  09:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its possibly because hes not being fed enough to grow properly.. ideally he should be on fuzzies by now

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  10:12:36  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

its possibly because hes not being fed enough to grow properly.. ideally he should be on fuzzies by now

Also moss is to aid the shedding process not to induce a shed.

My casper has just gone onto 1 small fuzzy and she is around 20 inches long and weighs 22grams atlast weigh. so i would certainly think that your snake is most probably more than ready to move up.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/03/2010 10:13:08
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  11:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your viv set-up sounds good, it is nice to hear that he has 2 hides and the logs and plants to fill out his viv. As it is a glass viv, is it exposed on all sides? It might be that he is feeling rather exposed. You could cover the back and even the 2 sides of the viv with aquarium backing or even brown paper/newspaper (on the outside of the viv), just to make him feel more secure. Regarding him moving into a bigger viv, we tend to use the guide that once the snake's length = the length + depth of the viv is the time to move up a size, not before.

I would suggest that you weigh him and use that as a guide to work out what he should be eating. It does sound as though he is not putting on weight and therefore is not needing to shed often.

It is easy enough to weigh a snake. I used digital scales. I have a shoe box with air holes punched in it. I weigh the box, zero the scales, add the snake = snake's weight. I do this before every feed.

This is just a VERY rough guide that some of us follow to help us have a vague idea of what our snakes might need to be feeding on -

Snake (4 – 15g) = 1 Pinkie (0.5 – 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (16 – 23g) = 2 pinkies (3 – 4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days
Snake (24 – 30g) = small fuzzy (3 – 6g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (30 – 50g) = fuzzy (7 – 9g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Snake (51 – 90g) = fluff/hoppers (7 – 12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days

Danny is right in what he says about the moss, it is only useful once they have turned blue and begun the shedding process. The only thing that will aid a shed is for him to put on weight.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 16/03/2010 11:26:58
Go to Top of Page

ben11
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  11:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks very much ill weigh him and get some fuzzies ordered. as for him feeling exposed, i have the parts for a wooden viv so ill get it built asap! Ben
Go to Top of Page

ben11
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  08:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just weighed Murray in on my kitchen scales at about 75 grams!! am i starving the poor fella?!! here are some pics of him around xmas time

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7060
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  09:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your not starving him!!
but i would recommend giving him fuzzies now, hes the same size and weight as my mont and hes comfortably on double fuzzies so Murray would be fine on fuzzies
hes lovely btw

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  12:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He really is gorgeous Ben, and dont worry....you havent been starving him. You have probably been just keeping him on a maintenance diet, which is what a lot of pet shops would do.

The main thing now is not to overfeed him. You need to move him up slowly. So definitely move him onto 1 fuzzy now and see how his weight increases. You said that you were 'going onto fluffys very soon though i am certain he is ready.' I think the jump from pinkies to fluffs would be too much for him to handle.

But please dont worry, you havent done anything wrong and you now know what you need to do that is best for him.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  14:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One thing to remember in regards going up a feed size is to not take a huge amount of notice of the weight, I've had large mice weigh more than jumbos.

It's more the size, make sure that the prey item is not much thicker than the thickest part of the snakes body.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ben11
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  14:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the advice. I am a little confused between fuzzies a fluffys now! I order from 888reptile

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdynamiccategory.php?DynamicCategoryID=19

are crawlers fuzzies? Ben

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  14:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

One thing to remember in regards going up a feed size is to not take a huge amount of notice of the weight, I've had large mice weigh more than jumbos.

It's more the size, make sure that the prey item is not much thicker than the thickest part of the snakes body.

definately agree there..
iv never weighed any food for any of my corns or my king and have never had any issues,tbh im not convinced weighing food is a vital thing to do even though a lot of members do it

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  04:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know most people dont go by the weight of the 'dinner', but I must admit that I find it a helpful guide as long as I keep in mind what HannahB and Kehhlyr have said, that the 'dinner's' girth is 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth, no bigger.

Ben, this link may help with regard to the different names of mice (it is a long topic but worth reading) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2622&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=crawlers.

I THINK, according to this, hoppers/crawlers are equivalent to small mice - the size up from fuzzys once they've got a bit of proper fur and open eyes....but I am not sure....it is definitely confusing!! Someone once said they had a mouse that was called a 'jack russel' size !

I do hope I havent just made it more confusing for you .

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 18/03/2010 04:46:57
Go to Top of Page

ben11
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  08:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess who had a shed last night woooo :)

on 888reptiles it goes

pinkies
fluff
crawler
small
medium
large
jumbo

how confusing!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic