Feeling sad but proud today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  13:10:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am a foster carer for support dogs. My latest foster, a labradoodle puppy called Poppy, is going to be a disability assistance dog. She has been away with the client she will be working with for the last week and i have really missed her. She was supposed to be coming back this afternoon but I have had a phonecall from her trainer to say that the client wants to keep her until it is time for her intensive training to begin. I am so proud of her that she has got to the stage where she is well behaved, obedient and knowledgable enough that the client is able to work with her full time but really sad that we havent had chance to say a proper goodbye to her. I have had Poppy for almost 7 months and she is such a little sweetheart. I will really miss her.
The good thing is that when she starts her intensive training at the training centre she will be coming back to stay with me for about 3 weeks.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  14:07:10  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It must be very hard for you.. I too love animals too muc and i get very attached.. But you have to see the bright side! It's gonna help somebody! You have to be very proud of it..!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  14:59:12  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really know where you're at. I'm a foster mum for animals too. When they go off to start a new life it leaves me feeling full of mixed emotions. I'm really proud and happy that they're going to their new home but at the same time I'm sorry to see them go and weep for my loss!
I look at it in this way.....if I didn't help them on their way then I wouldn't have room to take another very needy little one.
Overall I find fostering a very rewarding job and have many happy memories (and photos) of all my 'babies'.....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  16:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't stand having to give any animal up after that long

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  16:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fostered a number of German shepherd, mainly those coming in from Ireland to be rehomed. It is always a little sad, but never hard enough to want to keep them lol, it is always nice to get back to just being me and my own two girls.

Not sure how I would feel after so long though, that is about the same length time I have had my retriever who is coming up on 2 years old in May.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  00:03:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm usually not too bad when they move on. I can keep up to date with their progress and I have seen my previous fosters again at the awards show. my first foster qualified last year so that was lovely. I think it has just hit me today because it was unexpected. When i have a date that they are leaving i can prepare myself but this was a bit out of the blue. As far as I knew she wasn't going til May. I am soo proud of her for doing so well tho.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  04:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what you do is amazing and you should be so proud of it. The people who get your foster puppies are blessed that they have spent time with you getting them on to the right track. And it is such a good cause that you are preparing them for.

As someone who is partially diasabled I know how amazing it is having the relationship with a companion dog. Mine is not a trained assistance dog but she keeps me sane - she is always at my feet, knows when I need to go and rest and will keep bothering me until I do it, she goes to the bottom of the stairs and then goes up slowly, making sure I am safe following her....she then goes into the toilet and keeps me company and moves to the end of the bed while I get undressed. She will finally sit at the head of my bed until I am totally settled and only then will she get herself comfortable and go to sleep. She is 14yrs old and I really dont know what I will do without her .

I can understand why this parting was so much harder than the others, it makes it easier when you have the chance to say goodbye - I guess it brings some sort of closure. But you must look at it as a really positive sign that you have done a great job in that Poppy is already so happily settled in with her true owner that she doesnt need to come back to you.

I am so pleased you do get to see them again at the awards show, it must really show how worthwhile your work is. Personally - I think you are amazing !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  12:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You sound like you have a very satisfying thing going on there. You should feel proud!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000