New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  12:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
I am looking to upgrade my vivariums for all three of my snakes asthey are more than overdue an upgrade. Cherry is just under 3 foot now and the viv i am looking at for her is the Viv-Exotic 36 inch VX36.
The other two snakes are about 2 foot at the moment but growing fast.
I have been looking on the VivExotic website and was considering getting the VX36 stack but am aware that these vivs will be too big for Magenta and Riff Raff for a while. This may sound like a silly question but is it possible to just buy one of the VX36 vivs for now and then buy two later and stack them or is the Stack something slightly different that needs to be bought as one unit. Hope this makes sense. im not sure im explaining myself well.
Or would you recommend just buying the Stack unit and blocking off the ends of two of them to make smaller enclosures for magenta and Riff Raff and gradually expand them as they grow bigger?

Also whats the deal with Reptoboost? someone recommended this to me as something that might help with cherry's lack of appetite. but i cant find much info on it on the net. Can anyone explain to me what is it and where to get some?

thanks guys

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  12:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can buy individual VX36 and then stack them as you get more.

Reptoboost is a kind of energy dring for reptiles, which provides necessary electrolytes and vitamins plus a few other things. I used this for my non feeding 09 royal. You can get it online or from decent rep pet shops.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  12:36:41  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are alright buying vivs and stacking them so long as they are exactly the same size. If say you bought a three foot and stacked a two foot on top of it the weight in the middle would cause the top of the viv underneath to bow and therefore make the glass doors at best difficult to move and at worst crack. If the vivs are of equal size the weight is distributed around the sides where the structure is strongest and the weight in the middle should be negligable enough not to warp the wood. Having said that when I build my stack into an alcove I intend to have an inch or two air gap between vivs to avoid heat transference to the top viv.

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  15:02:39  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing you will find with buying the viv's one by one it works out alot more expensive than buying a stack. If it were me id get the stack, and put the ones that are to small in the enclosures they are already inside one of the empty viv's and leave the glass off the stack viv. Save you space and money!
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  17:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy the stack, you do not have to use all the vivs now but they will be ready as and when needed.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  19:57:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gosh, I was actually wondering this myself weirdly enough! Is there any way to make the bigger tanks smaller though like a diver that won't fall down as I was hoping to keep some of my hatchings or would they just be ok in a smaller plastic tub within a big viv? I guess that if they buckle down when different sizes are stacked ontop of each other I have no choice but to get them all the same size tanks... I really didn't think they bend though with a smaller one ontop :/ that seems very strange. Surely this one mean that if you had a heavy object for the snakies to hide in on a tank above (like a clay pipe) that would also distort the shape of the tank.

http://www.homes4reptiles.com/stackable-lx-vivariums-3-high-c-39.html
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivexotic-vivarium-stacks-1381.html
You have probably have had a gander on these site for the stack but... XD

Does anyone also have any idea how the vivs like "stack" I'm not sure how they would securely fit together you see... the instructions of assembly on the stacks just show how to assemble the individual tanks so it looks like they don't properly fit together.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  20:11:59  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

The only thing you will find with buying the viv's one by one it works out alot more expensive than buying a stack. If it were me id get the stack, and put the ones that are to small in the enclosures they are already inside one of the empty viv's and leave the glass off the stack viv. Save you space and money!

Actually i worked it out once and it cost the exact same not including any delivery costs that you may have to pay. I guess it just depends on the websites you go on.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

151 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  21:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice:)
i think i shall go ahead and buy the stack and then keep the two little ones in something a bit smaller for a while until they grow a bit. It's really just Cherry that im concerned about upgrading for now. So that should work out ok. The other thing i was wondering though was what size heat mat i'd need for one of those?
Also in the pictures i keep seeing they appear to have lighting fixtures but upon closer inspection it seems that they dont (it says nothing about lighting in the product description or in the instruction manual)so how would i go about putting lighting in and what sort of lighting would be suitable for a snake?

0.1.0 Crimson Corn "Cherry Darling"
0.1.0 Anery Corn "Riff Raff"
0.1.0 Hypo Motley Corn "Magenta"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "Beatrix Kiddo"
0.1.0 Crested Gecko "O-Ren Ishii"
0.1.0 Tortoiseshell and White Kitten "Gizmo!"
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  21:33:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Iunno how to actually fix the lights but I know that they do have cable holes so maybe a heat mat would be easier to put in?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000