New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boots
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  07:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, just bought a small heat mat yesterday (96mm x 146mm) for my exo terra 30cm x 30cm x 30cm and the instructions say that its best to place a piece of polystryne under the base of my viv to help transfer the heat around the base, is this right or should the mat just be stuck to the outside base of the viv by itself? Any help or advice on this would be helpful, thanks Colin

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  10:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
place the heatmat under a glass tank if you put poly under the heatmat then what it does is it stops the heat escaping elsewhere and directs the heat into the tank, on all my glass tanks ive had i tend to put poly on 3 sides and the bottom for insulation and helps your rep feel more secure only having one open side, hope this helps
paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  11:43:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Like paul said it is just to help direct the heat up rather than letting it to escape through whatever it is sitting on. Cardboard also works but not quite aswell.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  17:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best thing I've found (though not always available in small quantities) is the stuff that is put underneath laminate floorboards. Its basically polystyrine with foil backing and I came across it when the parents did the redecorating. Polystyrine is perfectly fine though.

Polystyrine is good- to add to what was said bout directing heat up- it'll also hold the heat longer; though its not strictly necessary but it means without it the heat mat will be on longer to raise the temp and cut back on (through the thermostat) quicker as it'll lose heat faster.

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  21:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used corregated cardboard and made an air-space using cushioned insulating tape which has helped keep the temperatures more stable.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000