Heat mats strength and size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  09:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okies so say I actually found a snake and I now need to keep it warm. I am looking at heat mats and not quite sure any seem right.

I have an 9 lit RUB (A4 size) the internal floor space is approx 33x21cm the heat mats come in 4w=13 x 10cm which is much too small and 7w=28 x 15cm which is much too large. The heat mats I saw for use with plastic tanks are all laminated plastic, so cannot be folded up the sides.

What do you guys use? I dont want to swap to a larger RUB as I feel the A4 is likely too big, but even if I use a smaller one now eventually it will need the 9litre and I will be back to the same question.

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  09:27:04  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Better find out what kind of snake is it, so that you know what temps it needs!
Go to Top of Page

dinner83
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  09:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would buy the bigger one and only put the rub 1/3 of the way over it that way your mat will do for the next size rub as well. saves you having to buy a new one every time you move to another rub

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with plastic fauns you dont need to put the heat mat inside..get a bigger one and then put the faun over it so a 3rd of the floor space is being heated,
getting a bigger one will save you having to buy another mat when you upgrade your snakes housing

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  12:17:35  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have the large faun with the 7 x 11 heatmat, I just have it so the heatmat only heat 1/2 of the viv.

The heatmats i have are also gradient ones.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  13:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mozacchio

Better find out what kind of snake is it, so that you know what temps it needs!

As this is being posted in the "Corn snake general keeping" section, I'd say it's pretty obvious what type of snake she's planning on getting.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  18:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, feel really stupid I didnt think to have it on the outside.

How do thermostats work? How do they turn on and off the heat mat? and where and how do they measure the heat?
Is there any mat you can set to a temperature and it will just work?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

62 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  20:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres a probe on the stat witch sensers the heat and when it reaches the right temp it will turn the mat of you will see if it on by a red LED

Corn snake
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  21:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with the stat you plug that into the mains at the wall, theres then a plug socket attatched to the stat which you plug the mat into, theres a probe also attatched to the stat which needs to be put flat onto the mat between it and the faun so it can get an accurate temperature reading and know when to turn on and off..
i adjust my stat according to the digital thermometer probe which i keep inside the faun so i know how hot it is on the floor in the hide

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  20:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think this would be capable of heating a little 9litre RUB warm enough for a Cornsnake (assuming the surrounding temp is normal room temp)or do you think it would be too weak? It seems to me to be the best fit, providing about 1/3 coverage.

http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

Maybe I should buy the bigger one I had planned, then pop the RUB over a smaller area and then it is still good to use perhaps in a larger tank.

Edited by - Kare on 15/03/2010 21:03:03
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  21:05:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That will be fine. The faun only needs to be heated to between 27 and 30 degrees so any heat mat that can reach a maximum temp of around 30-31 degrees will be fine for heating a faun.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000