Changing substrate for new snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  20:49:05  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
As you know I got Sidney on Wednesday and I've used exactly the same substrate they used in the shop, wanted as much as possible to be what he's used to to avoid too much stress.
I will wait until he's settled here before I do anything but would like advice on 'how to' for when the time is right....
So he's currently on orchid bark. I'd prefer to use Aspen and need advice on how to change over. Do I gradually wean from one to the other changing a little at a time or go for the complete change at once.
All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  21:22:49  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just do a complete change every month or so. Don't worry about him not being used to the substrate, corns like change and he might find aspen to be more fun as he can burrow in it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

dinner83
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  21:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just done the full change for both of mine and they seemed to love it they spend most of thier time burrowing in it

Go to Top of Page

dinner83
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just done the full change for both of mine and they seemed to love it they spend most of thier time burrowing in it

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  22:38:44  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks. I will wait 'til the very long week is up then I'll change him onto aspen. SO pleased I found this forum, you're all so friendly and helpful!!!!!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  22:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i vary between aspen an beech chippings to give mine a change

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  23:21:05  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Thanks folks. I will wait 'til the very long week is up then I'll change him onto aspen. SO pleased I found this forum, you're all so friendly and helpful!!!!!!

You might aswell wait a bit longer untill they are due a change. I keep all mine on aspen and when i do change their tanks i also change all their plants and hides and things around and bend their vines into different shapes and stuff just to add a bit of interest for them.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  02:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

You might aswell wait a bit longer untill they are due a change. I keep all mine on aspen and when i do change their tanks i also change all their plants and hides and things around and bend their vines into different shapes and stuff just to add a bit of interest for them.

Would definitely agree with Danny here (this is getting spooky, we are agreeing way too often Danny ).

Wait until his viv is actually due its clean out before you change the substrate rather than unsettle him straight after the week settling in period.

I have just changed Silvesta on to hemp and it is great, so much more natural and he loves it. Just waiting for Kellog's viv clean out to change him too (hopefully this weekend if I can talk the OH into it!). Will be interested to see what he thinks. It is very different to the wood shaving he has been used to, which I have always hated!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  04:05:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
I just want something a bit more friendly and softer for little Sidsox. The orchid bark is very harsh and bulky.
It would also help me too, I think, when cleaning out the messed areas of his viv. I assume the soiled areas will be easier to see? While Sids is still in that 'don't do too much, 7 day period' I really don't want to go probing too much for soiled substrate.
It would be good to know that after that time I can use a substrate that is both snake & owner friendly!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  09:58:14  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I first got Colin he came on orchid bark which i didnt like but i waited several weeks before changing it to beech chippings which i also didnt like so about three days later i changed it for aspen and have never looked back. Its so much easier to see and clear up the poos. I have it in both my vivs and the snakes seem to like it.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  10:37:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

When I first got Colin he came on orchid bark which i didnt like but i waited several weeks before changing it to beech chippings which i also didnt like so about three days later i changed it for aspen and have never looked back. Its so much easier to see and clear up the poos. I have it in both my vivs and the snakes seem to like it.

I got Aspen when i went and got Casper but was given wood chips (Cant remember what kind, beech i think) for reggie, left him for a month and then changed him to aspen. I think it is much better.

Have never used Hemp, may be worth having a look into it when i move them upto vivs.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  04:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have just changed to hemp with both mine. So much cheaper and easy to get if you have a horse supplier near you.

It smells great, looks so much more natural and offers the snake different textures. My OH was really surprised as he was convinced that they would be unable to burrow in it as it seemed too dense, but Silvesta soon proved him wrong and often 'escapes' from the viv as I have no idea where he is !!

The cleaning out side of it is a bit harder as it isnt that noticeable, but then both of mine tend to poo outside of their vivs, when they are being handled. And when Silvesta does poo in his he does it when he is burrowing so I have to go digging each time I change the water anyway....searching for any little 'gift' .

I am really pleased with the result. Kellog was literally only changed to it yesterday (while Silvesta has been on it for over a month), so I guess I will have to wait and see what he thinks .

If you run a search on here (and Google) for Aubiouse you will find more info on it. That is the french version and you can buy a perfectly safe and similar english version....think it is called Hempcore (but you know my memory ), that is what I am using and I know that SB uses it too.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  11:45:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Have just changed to hemp with both mine. So much cheaper and easy to get if you have a horse supplier near you.

It smells great, looks so much more natural and offers the snake different textures. My OH was really surprised as he was convinced that they would be unable to burrow in it as it seemed too dense, but Silvesta soon proved him wrong and often 'escapes' from the viv as I have no idea where he is !!

The cleaning out side of it is a bit harder as it isnt that noticeable, but then both of mine tend to poo outside of their vivs, when they are being handled. And when Silvesta does poo in his he does it when he is burrowing so I have to go digging each time I change the water anyway....searching for any little 'gift' .

I am really pleased with the result. Kellog was literally only changed to it yesterday (while Silvesta has been on it for over a month), so I guess I will have to wait and see what he thinks .

If you run a search on here (and Google) for Aubiouse you will find more info on it. That is the french version and you can buy a perfectly safe and similar english version....think it is called Hempcore (but you know my memory ), that is what I am using and I know that SB uses it too.

xxx

I was thinking about using something like this when i use my lot up to vivs. Whilst they are in their fains im gonna stick to aspen though.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  17:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Auboise with all my rodents for years. I plan therefore to use it with my snake...though I think I will use ink free newspaper paper for the first short while, until I know a bit more about my snake like where he poops and where he hides before I let him scare me by hiding in Hemp

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  03:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The good news is that Kellog seems to love the Hemcore (checked the name rather than rely on my obviously bad memory !) He has already burrowed his way through it and rearranged some of the new stones that were put in. Silvesta is regularly hiding under his.

Just posted this on the other topic asking about substrate, but I got a pack of it that is approx 80 x 40 x 40cm (no sign of a weight on it ) for just under £9.00. The only problem was that the local horse supplier wouldnt deliver for only one bale so had to pick it up, but it is worth it. Have now got 2 vivs filled and barely scrapped the top.

Checkout http://www.aubiose.co.uk/, ring the number and ask for your local stockist. Its worth it....cost wise, health wise and the way it looks.

Also have a read through this topic (although you will see me repeating what I have put here ) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8704

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 15/03/2010 03:49:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000